Looking for opinions on deer tactics

Ocoee Ridge Runner

I hunt three properties that are 200, 350, and 1200 acres. I have turkey hunted them for 10 years but over the last few years have started hunting deer on them. The first year I would walk in with a climber on my back but these properties are steep or the walks are long so it was exhausting. The last couple of years I just hunted off the ground which worked ok and I killed a mature buck last year doing but this year I was busted numerous times and decided for next season to take a different approach.
So my question is how would you approach hunting these properties from using different climbing methods.
1. setup 2-3 ladder stands on each property in areas I have scouted and deemed good spots
2. learn to saddle hunt so I can move around easily and be more mobile
3. find the lightest climber I can and hunt the properties with another climber( I used a summit viper previously).
I downloaded ONX and plan on scouting every inch of all three properties over the next few weeks to try and decide the areas that I need to hunt next season.
Also, what would you do between now and next season to zero in on what areas to hunt. These properties range from steep hardwood ridges and bottoms to thick pine stands and acres and acres of head high briar thickets.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
How about "and" instead of "or"? All of those methods could be successful in different situations. I have to admit that I have no point of reference for having that kind of acreage to hunt, albeit with assumedly low deer densities. If you invite me out I can help you figure it out 😃

Last edited:

bowhunterfanatic

I hunt three properties that are 200, 350, and 1200 acres. I have turkey hunted them for 10 years but over the last few years have started hunting deer on them. The first year I would walk in with a climber on my back but these properties are steep or the walks are long so it was exhausting. The last couple of years I just hunted off the ground which worked ok and I killed a mature buck last year doing but this year I was busted numerous times and decided for next season to take a different approach.
So my question is how would you approach hunting these properties from using different climbing methods.
1. setup 2-3 ladder stands on each property in areas I have scouted and deemed good spots
2. learn to saddle hunt so I can move around easily and be more mobile
3. find the lightest climber I can and hunt the properties with another climber( I used a summit viper previously).
I downloaded ONX and plan on scouting every inch of all three properties over the next few weeks to try and decide the areas that I need to hunt next season.
Also, what would you do between now and next season to zero in on what areas to hunt. These properties range from steep hardwood ridges and bottoms to thick pine stands and acres and acres of head high briar thickets.
I don't use a saddle personally but I think it would make a ton of sense in your situation. That'd absolutely be my pick. Scout scout scout then go in with a saddle and kill him.

backyardtndeer

If I had the properties, had sole permission and I was allowed to do so, I would probably set up ladder stands in key locations. I prefer to hunt ladder stands though. My property isn't even a third as big as your smallest property. Find out where the deer are and setup. You can always still use a climber if need be.

Ocoee Ridge Runner

I agree they all could work but I can't afford all three and would like to keep it as simple as I can. There are a few ladder stands that have been on the properties for years and I will hunt from those at times but deer sightings are low.

Ski

That's a lot of acreage to hunt. I'd suggest breaking it into 100acre sections and scouting them one by one, making notes and dropping pins. I'd forego the stands right now and buy some cheap cameras to hang when you find really good spots scouting. Once done scouting and making notes, number each 100acre section in order of priority according to what you found. With that you can begin planning hunts and have backup plans for backup plans. It's much easier to hunt 100acres than it is 1200 acres.

Ocoee Ridge Runner

That's a lot of acreage to hunt. I'd suggest breaking it into 100acre sections and scouting them one by one, making notes and dropping pins. I'd forego the stands right now and buy some cheap cameras to hang when you find really good spots scouting. Once done scouting and making notes, number each 100acre section in order of priority according to what you found. With that you can begin planning hunts and have backup plans for backup plans. It's much easier to hunt 100acres than it is 1200 acres.
Thanks for the detailed plan. Exactly the type of information I'm needing. It is overwhelming on where to start. I've been focusing on hunting the hardwoods where I have found a lot of rubs and a few scrapes but I only saw one mature buck one time during the height of the rut and a few small bucks opening week of gun.

deerhunter10

Cameras and scouting. And mobile set ups with maybe a couple hang ons or ladder stands. If you want conventional cameras brownings are the best I've ever used for the prices. Cell cameras I like my tactacams over the others I've used. Also wouldnt ditch your climber they are handy I have always and probably always will use summits. But others are good to. With a map you can see terrian and pinch points to help also during turkey season scout for deer also the sign is still there for the most part and mark it. There's no one way. We hunt close to 2000 acres and have dozens of stands up but we have hunted 1400ish for a very long time, but even we get mobile especially in a year like this year. Hunting on the ground is also a decent way to hunt. Main thing is wind and thermals especially with hilly and steep terrains, being the bottoms can and will get you in trouble with their nose.

Ocoee Ridge Runner

Cameras and scouting. And mobile set ups with maybe a couple hang ons or ladder stands. If you want conventional cameras brownings are the best I've ever used for the prices. Cell cameras I like my tactacams over the others I've used. Also wouldnt ditch your climber they are handy I have always and probably always will use summits. But others are good to. With a map you can see terrian and pinch points to help also during turkey season scout for deer also the sign is still there for the most part and mark it. There's no one way. We hunt close to 2000 acres and have dozens of stands up but we have hunted 1400ish for a very long time, but even we get mobile especially in a year like this year. Hunting on the ground is also a decent way to hunt. Main thing is wind and thermals especially with hilly and steep terrains, being the bottoms can and will get you in trouble with their nose.

Any particular Tactacam model you like?

Ski

Thanks for the detailed plan. Exactly the type of information I'm needing. It is overwhelming on where to start. I've been focusing on hunting the hardwoods where I have found a lot of rubs and a few scrapes but I only saw one mature buck one time during the height of the rut and a few small bucks opening week of gun.

That's how I approach public lands, especially when I don't have experience in the particular area. If I try to hunt too big of an area it does for sure get overwhelming. 100acres ish is a rough size that works for me but you you'll have to figure out what works for you.

For cameras it's hard to say. I don't run cell cams so I can't recommend any of those, but I have bought some cheap Muddy 3-packs for around $100. They're not great but they're effective for stuff like this.

Ocoee Ridge Runner

I may run SD card cameras in the offseason and add a couple cell cams right before and throughout the season. The info in this thread is much appreciated and can help me go in the right direction to have more success next season.

rem270

You can hunt on the ground still. Just find you some good cover to sit back in. If it were me I'd get some stands set in places for different wind directions.

I'd get some stands in places that you like and have produced in the past and carry you chair in the truck to hunt from the ground at times when you want.

Latest posts