Opinions on this shot

deer hunter 21

Helped a buddy track a deer yesterday morning very little blood and then he opened up in one spot where he jumped the fence and then went back to small drops for 50 yards then nothing, the deer was never found. What does this blood look like to yall?

Attachments

• 20231114_093616.jpg
    20231114_093616.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 212

Roadracer6

1st thought- muscle blood (shoulder), and maybe lower lung.
Shot one last yr that looked the same. Arrow went right through muscle and nicked 1 side of lung. Ended up pushing him until we walked up on his bed and shot him again. He would only bleed unless we were pushing him.

deer hunter 21

I helped him for about 3hrs and he looked for the most of the day, we never jumped the deer. I thought it was lung blood but that pic is the only place there was any amount of blood except for the few droplets.

tug

Helped a buddy track a deer yesterday morning very little blood and then he opened up in one spot where he jumped the fence and then went back to small drops for 50 yards then nothing, the deer was never found. What does this blood look like to yall?
Without going any further in the comments section, if I saw that, I would look at my friend and say, "we are going to find your deer".

Setterman

That's a dead deer IMO. Just guessing but it likely got to the fence didn't have the juice left to jump it and thought about it for a second leaving that blood. It's easy for them to plug a hole when they jump etc.

UTGrad

Don't give up. I blood trailed one for 2 hours in the dark Monday night. Everytime I was about to throw in the towel, I'd go back to the last spot of blood and sure enough I'd find more. Roll of flagging tape is a necessity in every hunting pack.

DC219

Questions that are as important as what type of blood that is would be: 1) how long did he wait before taking up the trail? 2) how far did you track him? 3) and did he ever lay down? That could be lung blood, which means he'll almost certainly die. But if he was pushed on a marginal lung hit, he could go a very long way.

Chickenrig

Don't give up. I blood trailed one for 2 hours in the dark Monday night. Everytime I was about to throw in the towel, I'd go back to the last spot of blood and sure enough I'd find more. Roll of flagging tape is a necessity in every hunting pack.
A walkingvstick of some kind is also useful. It can me used to measure stride length

Ski

Bubbles don't necessarily mean lung blood. Muscles carry the same oxygen, especially when the heart rate is up from running. Blood gets aerated. It even gets frothy when sloshing around a hole.

It seems I'm in the minority but that doesn't look like a lot of blood. It's far less than a pint. And if that's the only spot like that then he's not bleeding bad.

Any time you wound a deer you've got to give it your best effort. Keep going when you think you're done. But at some point if you haven't found a dead deer then you have to accept there is no dead deer.

backyardtndeer

Some good insight in this thread. My initial thought from the pic was that the deer was likely hit good and bled heavy there where he jumped the fence. Stress behind the shoulder caused him to pump heavy in that spot. I have seen far less blood from good hits, where the deer just didn't bleed right away.

If I was your buddy, I would be watching for buzzards the next few times he gets out.

deer hunter 21

This morning we have been texting about it and he's now saying the deer was carrying his leg as he ran off so now I'm wondering if it was a leg hit? He took an unproven dog over to help track It and came up with nothing. I personally think the deer is still alive.

Ski

This morning we have been texting about it and he's now saying the deer was carrying his leg as he ran off so now I'm wondering if it was a leg hit? He took an unproven dog over to help track It and came up with nothing. I personally think the deer is still alive.

Carrying a leg could mean lung or brisket or neither. But I think you're right. And even an unproven dog would find a dead deer. May not be trained to track interdigital gland but would still probably go straight towards a dead deer, depending on how long dead.

The one and only time I needed a dog, I was surprised at how effective it was. He didn't even track. He went direct to the buck. Frustrated the handler because he wanted the dog to track, but the dog knew right where the deer was without tracking. It was only an overnight wait and meat was good, nothing stinky, but the dog's nose could detect what we couldn't.

deer hunter 21

Carrying a leg could mean lung or brisket or neither. But I think you're right. And even an unproven dog would find a dead deer. May not be trained to track interdigital gland but would still probably go straight towards a dead deer, depending on how long dead.

The one and only time I needed a dog, I was surprised at how effective it was. He didn't even track. He went direct to the buck. Frustrated the handler because he wanted the dog to track, but the dog knew right where the deer was without tracking. It was only an overnight wait and meat was good, nothing stinky, but the dog's nose could detect what we couldn't.
I have a part lab part boxer that some idiot decided to dump on me so I let it stick around and has been the best dog I've ever had and I have tried him on a few deer I got on my farm and he has found everyone of them even though I had already found them but he went straight to the deer and sat and barked, I was pretty amazed considering he has zero training.