Looking for advice...

philsanchez76

I wouldn't recommend saddle hunting to a newbie. Heck, I don't have any desire to saddle hunt. Hang ons or climbers for me.
that's fair. I had never hunted out of anything but stationary ladder stands before the saddle. So it was learning something new either way. My thought was if the OP hasn't done either and he's got to overcome that learning curve either way, may as well do it with something that ways 5 pounds instead of 20 pounds especially for public hunting.

UTGrad

that's fair. I had never hunted out of anything but stationary ladder stands before the saddle. So it was learning something new either way. My thought was if the OP hasn't done either and he's got to overcome that learning curve either way, may as well do it with something that ways 5 pounds instead of 20 pounds especially for public hunting.

Generally speaking, saddle hunting is not comfortable to everyone but a Summit Viper is comfortable to anyone that walks upright and has a large frontal lobe.

philsanchez76

Generally speaking, saddle hunting is not comfortable to everyone but a Summit Viper is comfortable to anyone that walks upright and has a large frontal lobe.
This is true. I figure you pay one way or the other. dont carry much weigh and be less comfortable during the sit or carry more weight in and enjoy a Lazy Boy in the woods haha.

tanasirivertea

Also,

Looking for a budget friendly Beginner bow.

Buy a used one. I got a really nice PSE Stinger that was sighted in, silenced up and all the things for 200. Just took it to a pro to get a new string and sight installed. If you're getting into archery, please read the Dr Ashby arrow lethality research. you can also learn about it when The Hunting Public did a video with The Ranch Fairy. It is really important to me that my arrow is as lethal as possible. Cause deer jump big time when an arrow is whizzing their way.

tanasirivertea

Absolutely! I tried to deer hunt public 20 something years ago. Never saw a soul during bow season. Opening day of rifle there was orange in a tree every hundred (maybe) yards. I said a prayer that if God would let me get out of there without getting shot I would never come back, and I have not. Let me clarify, this spot wasn't far enough off the road. ATVs were not allowed, but apparently I'm the only one that followed that rule.

I hunt public a lot and the 4wheelers and SxS are in use constantly. TWRA puts giant boulders at some spots and I've showed up to hunt, seen one of the boulders moved and the ramps still laying off the tailgate

tanasirivertea

My biggest advice regarding ground hunting is wherever you sit, try to ensure your silhouette is broken up. if you're using a tree, make it be wide as your shoulder. Also I take a "Thermaseat" which is a covered waterproof 3" thick foam pad to sit on. Keep your tush warm and dry hahahaha! and having wind in your face is important but also, if possible, try to ensure your scent is blowing somewhere useless to deer. Or at least blowing somewhere helpful like hunting by a running creek or river helps sometimes.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I've had good and bad luck with other hunters on public land; mostly good luck. I had a couple of spots where I hunted that I never saw another hunter and had success getting deer.

As mentioned in another post, take extra orange and place it where you are. I have a mesh orange vest that I wrap around a tree if I'm leaning on it on the ground or sitting high up in my climber; I also put it on top of fold-up ground blind. Some hunters will see it and move on but some will still sit within 50 yards...

I've had success out of a fold-up blind and success in a natural blind. I usually bring a folding stool when hunting from the ground (really necessary if sitting in a fold-up blind). I haven't tried the chair but I think I can twist around to the left and right better if on a stool (often described as dove hunting stool).

Ski

Anything to break up your outline and body mass will work. I've sat down against trees, in fallen tree tops, in or around the root ball of a fallen tree, patch of green briers, etc. Sitting still is the most important thing. And since you're using a rifle you can sit a distance from where you expect to see the deer. That'll go a long way in keeping you from being seen, heard, or winded.

deerfever

I hunt from the ground with my son all the time as he has not started climbing yet, find something natural that breaks your cover to get in. We got next to a blow down earlier during bow and had several deer within 25 yards that never knew we existed. There have probably been more deer killed off the ground than any other way with a gun. Remember to play the wind direction and best of luck to you!

mike243

Learn to deer hunt with a rifle or muzzle loader before you start adding bows and climbing stands, bow takes a lot of practice its not something you buy 1 day and got hunt with the next, remember others are out there hunting too and you want to keep your self and them safe as the #1 concern, seeing deer is #2, shooting 1 is #3, then the work starts lol

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
From the ground:

If I use a blind, it is one of those cheap camo treestand umbrellas set in front of me. If I feel really skittish I'll use 2. They pack down to nothing and fit in a backpack. I mainly use them when I have kids with me.

On scent:

If a deer gets downwind from you it will smell you. Do what you can to control scent, but don't overthink it… you cannot be scent free so don't buy all of the latest high dollar gadgets, sprays, or clothes that are ultimately designed to separate a hunter from his money. Hunt the wind as well as you can.

On tree stands:

Yes, a climber will get you up higher into a better view and should conceal you more if the proper tree is selected, but if the wrong tree is selected then it can make you stand out like you're on stage. And see above about scent. It is not a shortcut to avoid scent dispersion

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I don't blame you I just have never had that type of opportunity only hunted public land ever form small game and I would say it will be the same for Deer public only. I cant afford a lease and by the looks of it on here everyone and the cousin is looking for a lease. So, unless I win the lottery I will be stuck on public.
I'm the same way

Lost Lake

When I'm ground hunting, it's mainly during the rut. You have an advantage because the deer are somewhat distracted. I'll try to back off a little distance from where I expect deer to come from, and that's tricky because they seem to come from everywhere during that time.

If possible, I try to watch places where movement converges, and then place myself where it'd be hard for a deer to get right up on me. Take whatever you need to make yourself comfortable. The easier it is to sit still, your odds of success go way up. One of my favorite things to do is position myself up pretty high on a ridge, and if possible between a couple of tightly spaced trees. It'll break up your outline better.

Black Titan

I agree with what alot of others have said. Try and scout ahead and locate a natural blind if on the ground. Find a tree next to a big lay down, bush, sapling with alot of branches, etc.

My hunts this year have been from my climber, a saddle, and on the ground. I've had deer within 15 yards while on the ground. I orient to where the wind is in my face, and try to keep movement to an absolute minimum. Scan with your eyes, not your head. Don't let the tree rats crashing through the leaves fool you into thinking it's a deer and spin your head around real fast. I learned my lesson with that and spooked a doe who took off blowing and never stopped. I could still hear her blowing from the neighboring ridge tops. This was 4 weeks ago. I'm guessing she's halfway across the state by now, still blowing every other step she takes. I call her Karen.

When I'm ground hunting, I use a tree seat. If on a budget, this thing will work, but is a major PITA to put together, and you will need a ratchet strap. The strap that comes with it is garbage.

Amazon product ASIN B06Y5Y76CL
If you can afford a little more, this thing is absolutely amazing, comfortable, weighs next to nothing, and holds up to 400 pounds.

Amazon product ASIN B000T55ZTW
For safety, of course wear your orange. I also have an orange rain cover for my backpack that goes on when I'm hiking in, and when I get to my tree, I use a gear strap with some s biners and hang my pack on the tree off to my side with the orange rain cover over it. On the other side and back of the tree, a take a spare orange vest and also hang it up. I have a 4 year old that depends on me coming home each day so I don't take safety lightly. I honestly prefer to be up a tree when firearms are involved, be it high powered rifle or ML/Shotgun. But that's not always an option.

For a beginner bow, there's lots of options out there. I started with a Diamond Archery (made by bowtech) edge 305. Highly adjustable for draw weight and draw length, but let off is not adjustable. It was still a good bow to break me into archery without breaking the bank (I think a complete kit with sight and quiver is a little over $300, but you'll still need to get it setup with a peep and d loop and get a release). I moved on into Elite bows, and now shoot an Enkore. I suggest looking at the ArcheryTalk forum for research. Alot of folks there end up selling their good bows at a decent value because their moving to the newest, latest, greatest, most dead in hand, quietest bow that's been released this year. Be prepared if getting into archery, it's a deep deep rabbit hole. Other than leatherwork, it's probably the deepest rabbit hole I've ever jumped into.

BT

Tenntrapper

If you suspect there will be others there, and there likely will be, hunt the escape route from that property. Let everyone else push the deer to you... 😂 Just get there early, find a good tree that leans slightly away from the direction you're hunting (it's more comfortable), and be ready...

Latest posts