Looking for advice...

philsanchez76

Public Land, I have been squirrel hunted these Areas Since I was a kid with my Uncle so I am familiar with them just new to deer.
cool. you've already got an advantage if you know the land. My biggest piece of advice is to have as many possible set up spots as you can. Cuz what will happen on opening day of gun is that you'll walk in and someone will be sitting in the spot you were gonna hunt. Or you'll get there first and 3 guys will walk right past you right at shooting light. It can get crowded on the opener. so just have 10 backups in your mind just in case! GL out there

Spurhunter

Build a brush blind as far ahead as possible. Give the deer time to get used to something new. Walk in with the wind in your face and hunt that way. You might need a couple locations and brush blinds for different winds. If on public I would hang additional orange outside the blind for safety. Hunting off the ground presents additional challenges so the wind and controlling your scent is more important than anything else.

Spurhunter

I just saw that this is public. Depending on how far off the beaten path you will need to be early early or you might find someone in your brush blind. If they beat you there, it's their spot for the day. It doesn't matter who did the work.

ImThere

I have thought about a blind but my issue is don't they stick out like a sore thumb to them if they are not there all the time? Also, what about the smell I'm sure they will smell different then what is there. From what I have read scent is basically there number one sense. But, I am not against them just didn't know how well they work verses sitting back in some brush to break up my outline.
natural blind.
Meaning sit in a fallen tree or tree branch. Under a small cedar(double up on permethrin) sit in a bush if you have a low chair to sit in with a back.

fairchaser

When I hunt from the ground I use a chair, camo netting for a natural blind and a tripod to hold my rifle, especially on the edge of a large field. Hunting on the ground in thick cover can be a recipe for a bad hunt at best and a disaster at worst. Beating a deer's nose in close quarters is nigh impossible. Getting shot at on public land even with orange is not something to take lightly. I watched a guy crawl through a brush pile on his belly once and wondered what he was gonna do if he kicked s deer out? Be careful because any deer is not worthy your life.

Spurhunter

Getting shot at on public land even with orange is not something to take lightly. Be careful because any deer is not worthy your life.
Absolutely! I tried to deer hunt public 20 something years ago. Never saw a soul during bow season. Opening day of rifle there was orange in a tree every hundred (maybe) yards. I said a prayer that if God would let me get out of there without getting shot I would never come back, and I have not. Let me clarify, this spot wasn't far enough off the road. ATVs were not allowed, but apparently I'm the only one that followed that rule.

Spurhunter

the way it sounds hunting public land for deer is awful... lol
I'm sure it depends on the place. Some people love it. It was not for me. I don't even turkey hunt on public anymore because I can't take the anxiety of having a bird gobbling and worrying about people moving in on him and ruining the hunt. It happened too many times. That's just me. When I hunt I want to know I'm the only one there, or at least know the guys around me and where they are.