6.5 Grendel vs deer

Sako

I have to say, I like this new gun... for any of you guys who have kids that want to hunt and are smaller... The 6.5 Grendel is a great round and can be had in an AR-15 if you do not want to use a .223... Been wanting to try the round out so I took it this morning and it did great. I handloaded some 120gr Ballistic Tips over H335... In through the ribs and out through the off shoulder. Deer dropped where she stood. Very impressed with the performance and very little recoil.

Sako

The 243 has been doing this for years. It also is on par with all the new varmit calibers trying to reinvent the wheel.

The 243 is the do it all, low recoil rou

You are missing one of the main points of the 6.5 Grendel... it fits into an AR15 framed sized rifle... the .243 has to use a AR-10 based gun... One nice thing about an AR based gun is the adjustable stock for kids and or if you have on a thick coat... the difference between an AR15 and an AR10in weight is several pounds with the 10 being heavier...

PickettSFHunter

So far I have tested 120 Sierra pro hunters, 123 ELD-M's, 123 SST's, 120 Nosler Ballistic Tips, and 129 Nosler Accubond Long Range out of the 6.5 grendel on hogs. Honestly all have performed quite well. I am currently using the 129 NABLR for deer simply because that's what I'm getting the best 250 yard groups out of. It does not take these big magnums for deer or hogs, you can sure get a lot more bang for your buck as a reloader with these small capacity cartridges.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
You are missing one of the main points of the 6.5 Grendel... it fits into an AR15 framed sized rifle... the .243 has to use a AR-10 based gun... One nice thing about an AR based gun is the adjustable stock for kids and or if you have on a thick coat... the difference between an AR15 and an AR10in weight is several pounds with the 10 being heavier...
Also fits well in mini bolt actions where the .243 won't… and you can use heavier bullets than .243. Also, the recoil is still less on the 6.5G, although that's splitting hairs. Not dogging the .243, just saying that the 6.5G is substantially different

backyardtndeer

Agree on the comments on the .243. My wife and my girls all hunted with 243's and killed quite a few deer with that round. That said, my son has been shooting my 6.5 cm in an ar10 platform, he is on the small side but the recoil is pretty minimal and doesn't seem to bother him. I do like the ar platforms for kids with having an adjustable stock.

Rockhound

I've fell in love with the 6mm arc and 6.5 grendel. But the gas gun data for 6mm arc and hunting bullets with temp stable powder is a little lackluster, plenty of options in a bolt gun and my howa mini shoots sub half moa. In the AR platform the grendel is the better round.

Remi

My Grendel is in a 20" Howa mini and it's a hog killing machine.

I've shot 12"x20" silhouette targets out to 800 and 24" square at 1k with mine as well.

It's pretty awesome what 27grs of powder will get you in the Grendel.

deerman865

IMG_1177.jpeg

rifle02

I was thinking about my Grendel the other day. When looking through some bullets I found some Barnes 100 gr Tipped Super Shock Tips. I must have bought them more than a year ago when I was looking for some 6.5 tsst to load in a manbun. Anyway I was wondering how they would do on deer in the Grendel.

Latest posts