Deer at processor for 5+ weeks

dammitbobby

I dropped off my buck on 10/7 at a newer processor in my area and chose a pretty basic package of tenderloins, backstrap, and the rest ground. They have a walk in cooler for weekends and after hours dropoffs and I saw there were only two other deer in the cooler at the time I dropped. I reached out to them on 10/11 to confirm everything and they let me know they'd have it done by the end of the following week.

Two weeks went by without hearing anything so I contacted them again on 10/24. They apologized, claiming they had been short handed and backed up but had set aside the next Tues and Weds to do nothing but process deer, and mine would be in that batch. They went as far as to say "worst case scenario" it would be done that Wednesday (11/1).

That date came and went and didn't hear anything from them. I had to reach out again on 11/7 and this time I let them know I was having concerns as to what could be taking so long, since all they're doing is grinding it up. They sent me a sincere response and let me know I wouldn't be charged for the processing. They absolutely assured me that it would be done by that Friday 11/10. I accepted that and was fine with it. They even sent me a text late Thursday confirming they were still working on my deer and to expect another text as soon as it was in baskets ready for pickup the next day. Of course, I have still heard nothing back.

I am wondering whats the longest y'all have ever had to wait for a processor? I'm also curious if the meat would even still be good after hanging in the cooler for over 30 days. Is there anything specific I should ask them about the condition of the meat when I finally do pick it up? Any insight would be appreciated.

themanpcl

I dropped off my buck on 10/7 at a newer processor in my area and chose a pretty basic package of tenderloins, backstrap, and the rest ground. They have a walk in cooler for weekends and after hours dropoffs and I saw there were only two other deer in the cooler at the time I dropped. I reached out to them on 10/11 to confirm everything and they let me know they'd have it done by the end of the following week.

Two weeks went by without hearing anything so I contacted them again on 10/24. They apologized, claiming they had been short handed and backed up but had set aside the next Tues and Weds to do nothing but process deer, and mine would be in that batch. They went as far as to say "worst case scenario" it would be done that Wednesday (11/1).

That date came and went and didn't hear anything from them. I had to reach out again on 11/7 and this time I let them know I was having concerns as to what could be taking so long, since all they're doing is grinding it up. They sent me a sincere response and let me know I wouldn't be charged for the processing. They absolutely assured me that it would be done by that Friday 11/10. I accepted that and was fine with it. They even sent me a text late Thursday confirming they were still working on my deer and to expect another text as soon as it was in baskets ready for pickup the next day. Of course, I have still heard nothing back.

I am wondering whats the longest y'all have ever had to wait for a processor? I'm also curious if the meat would even still be good after hanging in the cooler for over 30 days. Is there anything specific I should ask them about the condition of the meat when I finally do pick it up? Any insight would be appreciated.
WOW. I have never had one take more than 5 days even at the peak of season. Most of the time it is ready before I am done rearranging the freezer...lol...I'd be concerned. If they are that short on help, what's the cooler look like and did yours get in and stay in before it got too warm....

44 mag

Is this a buck you are wanting to mount? If so did you get your cap or head back? I have never had to wait more than 2 weeks or so

tntrkkllr

That's insane, something fishy about that.. do they do other stuff than deer?? I drop a deer off at my processor they skin and hang for 3 days minimum then cut it up. Normally I do tenderloin tenderized and the rest ground so if I drop it off Sunday I'm getting a phone call Friday.

GRIT

I would not eat it that's too long. Plus if they were shorthanded like they said they shouldn't even have been open. I would let them know what i thought about how they do business.

CHRIS WILSON

When I've used a local processor, it's never taken more than a week or so for it to be processed and ready for me to pick it up. I've never heard of one taking five weeks....even at the peak of the season.

BigCityBubba

As long as the cooler is set to just above freezing like around 34 degrees, you can hang a deer for months without it going bad. I have seen people hang a deer for 3 months. Although I process all my own deer now, I have never had to wait more than a week for a processor when I did have a deer processed by someone else. They typically want it paid for and gone as fast as possible.

Latest posts