best climber stands

akachuck

since I'll be hunting public for the first time this year, I'd like to get a climber that is easy to use and AFFORDABLE, only reason I'm looking for one is because I can't shoot a bow from a pop up blind or the ground. I know hardy anything about them since I've never used one. Also feel free to give any tips on how to use them etc. Thanks ya'll!

Forgot to add, I'm little but not rem270 little. something that aint to heavy, I can handle the weight and the long hikes. somewhere between 50-100 pounds maybe?

Last edited:

themanpcl

Not sure how far you are hiking in, but weight should be a consideration? If you have scouted the area and assuming no cutting on public, do you have trees to accommodate climber? I acquired a used, very lightweight API a few years ago. I'm sure some older Summit or other lightweight available used. New are a bit pricey. I have an old Warren and Sweat that weighs nothing and for longer trecks, I use that. Hope that helps.

BigAl

For years I used the Ol'Man brand. Switched to Summit for years then back to Ol'Man. Both were great stands. I felt like once in the tree, the summit was more comfortable. But while climbing and descending, I found he Ol"Man easier and just felt safer in it. The Summit was a bit lighter.

Vince

I don't have a ton of experience using climber, but few observations.

Whenever you get the climber, practice few times on a tree before you go on the actual hunt. If you are climbing in the dark, practice in low light. My fifth climb was a breeze compared to my first two.

When you are off the ground, right from the bottom of the tree, be sure to attach your safety harness to a tree (I use Hunter Safety System Rope-Style Tree Strap).

Be sure to tie the two pieces of climber together before you start going up, so if the bottom falls when you are up the tree, you can still pull it up.

Don't forget to attach your bow/equipment and bag/backpack to treestand ropes AND to have the other end of the ropes somewhere with you/climber as you start the climb.

{Just think about what would you need - once you are up the tree, from both execution and safety perspective. Then reverse engineer - think about the things you have to do on the ground).

UTGrad

since I'll be hunting public for the first time this year, I'd like to get a climber that is easy to use and AFFORDABLE, only reason I'm looking for one is because I can't shoot a bow from a pop up blind or the ground. I know hardy anything about them since I've never used one. Also feel free to give any tips on how to use them etc. Thanks ya'll!

Forgot to add, I'm little but not rem270 little. something that aint to heavy, I can handle the weight and the long hikes. somewhere between 50-100 pounds maybe?

50-100 lbs is waaaay more than you will haul carrying a Summit. It will be about 20-25 lbs.

Mescalero

50-100 lbs is waaaay more than you will haul carrying a Summit. It will be about 20-25 lbs.
I got a chuckle out of that. Could you imagine hauling 50 lbs, let alone 100 lbs? LOL!

I'd recommend a Summit. It will come with a safety harness but you can get your own. Tether your harness to the tree using the rope/prussic knot system (at least that's what I use) right after you step into the platform at the bottom of the tree so you are safe going up. Make sure platform and seat are tied together with about a 4'-5' string/rope. Have a pull-up rope for your pack and another for your bow or rifle and pull them up after you get to the height you want to be in the tree and are settled in the stand. Practice, practice before you go hunting for the first time.

Lost Lake

Most everyone will say Summit, and it's a good choice. Most are in the 20 pound range. Lots of videos on how to use climbers are out there, but make sure that you always use a safety harness, and stay connected to the tree from ground to hunting height, and back down again.

One tip.....make sure that the stand platform and your seat climber stay tied together with the rope provided, while climbing, sitting and coming back down.

TN Larry

Summit Viper. You may look into the mini viper if you are smaller framed. One word of advice is to have someone with climber experience to show you the ropes. My son is the same age as you, and I plan to get him to using a climber some this year.

One absolute rule is to wear a safety harness and be hooked up from the time your feet leave the ground until you're back on the ground. I used to not do this and came very close to learning the hard way one day when I nearly fell out. I won't climb anymore if I don't have my harness and rope. Also, tie your top and bottom together as said above. Another is to practice on different size trees. You will learn from experience how to set your stand to start with. Most of the time you have to angle it up some to compensate for the tree getting smaller as you go up to keep your stand level.

Latest posts