Back in a climber... Oh boy!

CliffordN

A friend talked me into using a climber he had set up in a great spot a week back. I was very reluctant, since I had given that up about five years ago, at the age of 69... But, I managed to get up the tree, and actually enjoyed the extra height and view it offered. The next day, I found one for sale at a great price, and I decided to make the purchase.
I took that one to a new spot and hunted with it the next day...
Two days ago, I went with my buddy again, and he put me on another climber, and told me to get up higher.... I ended up almost 30 feet up... That was exhilarating, and I felt 50 again...
But my stomach muscles feel like I have been doing crunches now... Wondering when the six pack abs will appear?

themanpcl

A friend talked me into using a climber he had set up in a great spot a week back. I was very reluctant, since I had given that up about five years ago, at the age of 69... But, I managed to get up the tree, and actually enjoyed the extra height and view it offered. The next day, I found one for sale at a great price, and I decided to make the purchase.
I took that one to a new spot and hunted with it the next day...
Two days ago, I went with my buddy again, and he put me on another climber, and told me to get up higher.... I ended up almost 30 feet up... That was exhilarating, and I felt 50 again...
But my stomach muscles feel like I have been doing crunches now... Wondering when the six pack abs will appear?
Good for you! Yup, the workout is good but you will, over time, reactivate those muscles and the soreness will pass.

TheLBLman

Nothing like the flexibility of a climber and the element of surprise. Lord willing I have a few more years.

Personally, I simply don't understand those who think using a climber is somehow "harder" or less safe.

I believe using a climber (if always connected to a safety harness) is actually safer than how most hunters use a ladder stand (without a safety harness).

The advantages are many, the main draw back is simply needing more time to climb/descend. Small price to pay for all the advantages. And with use, you can learn to climb more quietly with a climbing stand than compared to many metal ladders stands (which are bad about emitting loud metallic "pops").

JeepKuntry

My left knee is junk. I wanted to try saddle hunting this year but injured it again. So I will stick to my Summit Goliath for now. I would like the Xop Ambush for something different.

Ski

My Summit Viper is super comfortable but I hate carrying it in and setting it up, etc. But once I'm in it I love it. That's great several of you guys are still climbing.

Exactly. I hate lugging it around. Shot some great deer from it but it's a PIA to hike in with it. I've really considered trying one of the XOP or Lone Wold climbers. Just not sure I'd use it enough to justify cost.

sgtwebb1

Just turned 61 the other day.
I still lug my Summit Viper, wouldn't trade it for anything that I've seen.
Gets to be a PIA sometimes, but I always know where I'm headed, and pack just enough extra to keep the load under control.

bowhunterfanatic

Exactly. I hate lugging it around. Shot some great deer from it but it's a PIA to hike in with it. I've really considered trying one of the XOP or Lone Wold climbers. Just not sure I'd use it enough to justify cost.
Maybe I'll change my mind as I age but the last couple years I've gone from owning umpteen climbers and just leaving one on at least half the trees I hunt each year to exclusively using a couple of Vipers and taking them off the tree each hunt. I don't typically make any super long walks but I've grown really comfortable packing them in and out. If you haven't already get you an aftermarket set of straps for them. Makes it a lot more comfortable to carry in and out.

TnBob

I'll be 61 in January. Have been using ladders for a long time on leases but I have a Treewalker climber that I love. Might get it out a time or two this year. What little hunting I did last year was on the ground.

Ski

I pull mine in and out and learned how to attach quietly in the dark. My fear is the deer smelling my stand during the night. I don't want to loose the element of surprise. I also change trees each time if possible to keep my scent down.

Same here for same reasons. I'm not concerned about noise nearly as much as scent. I'd rather the deer not know I'm there until I'm actually there. That said, I'm most generally bow hunting from my climber so I'm right up in where the deer are at. If I were setting up firearm distance from where I expect to see deer then it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

mike243

I will be 62 next month, I quit climbing 8-10 years ago, don't miss it, not much help when bow hunters educate them, 20' up a tree and they pick you off when you are perfectly still, being out there in the rut makes it a lot easier to get missed when chasing starts. it's the deer you don't see that busts you most of the time. i also quit slinging arrows/bolts about the same time also.

Mr.Bro

I'm 71 and still use my Couger Claw and a recently bought Sumitt Titan both climbers. Have been using latter stands m0stly the last few years.
And see fewer and fewer bucks every year. Going back to climbers and see what that does to help the sighting of GOOD bucks.
Everytime I buy anything from backpacks to ant hinting gear I look at how much does it weigh. Packing in a 24lb stand and 30 lb back pack is tough on this 71 year old with bad knees and worse back. Especially when it's 800 yards in and back.
Good luck to all especially us
Old guys.

killingtime 41

Can't beat a climber on a straight tree. I bought m7 hang on and sticks this year haven't hunted with it yet. But I'll never give up on my climber for comfort.

Latest posts