stands

TheLBLman

Once you practice a little, the Summit climber requires very little physical effort to climb & descend. Those who think it's noisy or hard are simply not doing it enough to become proficient. IMO, the Summit climber is actually easier than climbing a ladders stand, and safer to if you don't use a safety harness while climbing/descending your ladder stands.

The longest learning curve with these climbers is learning how to pack, unpack, then attach to tree, all while being totally quiet. I can do this 99.9% of the time now. But at least half the time when I climb a ladder stand on a cold morning, there will be (beyond my control) a loud metallic pop that deer within 1000 yards can hear.

MidTennFisher

Once you practice a little, the Summit climber requires very little physical effort to climb & descend. Those who think it's noisy or hard are simply not doing it enough to become proficient. IMO, the Summit climber is actually easier than climbing a ladders stand, and safer to if you don't use a safety harness while climbing/descending your ladder stands.

The longest learning curve with these climbers is learning how to pack, unpack, then attach to tree, all while being totally quiet. I can do this 99.9% of the time now. But at least half the time when I climb a ladder stand on a cold morning, there will be (beyond my control) a loud metallic pop that deer within 1000 yards can hear.
Agreed, and good tip about the light ratchet strap for my comment about noise. I had planned to either do something like that or add some pool noodles around more of the frame to keep any metal from hitting during my hikes in.

I feel nice and comfortable in that climber, and I do use a harness going up and down. You never know what can go wrong. But while sitting I just feel more comfortable with that whole frame around me than I would in a hang on/lock on type stand where it's wide open. Even though I always wear a harness, nobody wants to find themselves hanging by one.

BSK

Once you practice a little, the Summit climber requires very little physical effort to climb & descend. Those who think it's noisy or hard are simply not doing it enough to become proficient. IMO, the Summit climber is actually easier than climbing a ladders stand
You can't be serious. I'm into a ladder in 10 seconds. I used climbers exclusively for years and they are noisy, slow, and you break sweat going up the tree.

and safer to if you don't use a safety harness while climbing/descending your ladder stands.
Probably true.

TheLBLman

You can't be serious. I'm into a ladder in 10 seconds.
Serious. I find climbers both "easier" and often quieter than ladder stands,
at least for just the actual climbing/descending part.

If I make an unnatural sound with a climber, it's my fault for being careless.
I cannot prevent those loud metallic game-spooking "pops" of metal ladder stands.

I didn't say using a climber was "quicker" than using a ladder.
Ladders are much quicker.
Just not necessarily physically easier or quieter.

Now, having to pack in & out a climber is another issue.
But so is needing to periodically relocate ladder stands,
which can be relatively dangerous to relocating climbers.

Because of the unpredictable metallic pops ladder stands can make,
and don't use them much, and then mainly just for afternoon hunts
where those "pops" are less likely to be heard by nearby deer.
Ladders don't "pop" as often or loud in the afternoons vs. cold still mornings.

I suspect your climbing stand sagas were much like your bowhunting sagas :p

CHRIS WILSON

Summit makes a great stand. Unless your just a really big guy, the Summit mini Viper is a great stand. It's a few pounds lighter than the standard Viper. It's also a bit more compact which I find helps it pack up and carry better than the standard Viper.

kaizen leader

Agreed, and good tip about the light ratchet strap for my comment about noise. I had planned to either do something like that or add some pool noodles around more of the frame to keep any metal from hitting during my hikes in.

I feel nice and comfortable in that climber, and I do use a harness going up and down. You never know what can go wrong. But while sitting I just feel more comfortable with that whole frame around me than I would in a hang on/lock on type stand where it's wide open. Even though I always wear a harness, nobody wants to find themselves hanging by one.
I like the frame too. I sometimes put a camo net around it.

Ski

I've had an aluminum Summit for years and love it. Most comfortable stand I've ever used. I'm a fan. BUT ... it isn't suited for every situation. In fact I only use it when hunting closed canopy timber where trees are tall, straight, and no low limbs. I find climbers all but useless in field edges, swampy areas, scrubby stream bottoms, gnarly regrowth around farms, etc. Climbers are the best choice where appropriate, and hang on stands are better in other spots.

That said, dont be shy of hunting from the ground. Seems all the focus these days is on being high up, whether it be ladder, climber, saddle, shooting house, or hang on. The ground doesn't get much attention but it can be every bit as effective as being high, especially for mobile hunting.

gary66

they all have good and bad things to them. I ended up using a base no longer made with different tops depending on the hunt.

Sooner you get one and start figuring it out the better. Some of the things I did before using one to hunt was figure out how to carry it and gear. How to take it from my back to the tree. How to keep it from making a racket and how to get up the tree and in place and be able to do all that in the dark. Climb with it several times, get to feel how it climbs so when something isn't right you know it as soon as it happens. Some other things I did was hang it on a tree in the woods (I live in one) looking at it from different positions adding camo as needed blending it in. Someone gave me a large neoprene black mat people stand on in factories for fatigue. I cut a hunk and attached it to the base, Keeps my feet silent and any sun heats it and my feet. The bottom was blended in with the camo while hanging. The mat also keeps anything your boots picked up from falling down.

Mine holds everything but the weapon, goes from my back to the tree and sits like a table. I set the gear down already roped, climb on and climb. I'm in no hurry to get set as I get in early, being unheard and unseen is all I care about.

You'll find the cables on the summits noisy. I do use a summit top when I'm planning on sitting, a LW hand climber when I'm not it is very light and quiet. Both have nothing on the base, it's top decided to crumble on a climb (knew it was going with slight pressure on it, strapped off, hunted the morning and worked it down in daylight. Almost in half when I got down). It's called a Tree cat Archer and where LW got the idea for their straps. It's straps are not notched like the LW and retracts with the squeeze on a cam. Large, light and very adjustable.

Practice practice, practice.

Something else about stands I was told when I went looking into them...when most things are rated their breaking point is three times more than what they are rated at, this is widely accepted. Tree stands only twice the breaking point. Most everything breaks at say 900 and are rated at 300, a stand breaks at 600 and is rated at 300. It's why when people stand on them they get the feeling they need something else...they do. Take extra precautions with stands, never trust one out of the box.

Atchman2

I agree with ^^ those dudes about the Summits. Lone Wolf make a nice lock on that's pretty light and easy to hang. Can't beat a climber though.

Unless you're a old fat guy like me that just climbs rolls into a pop up blind 👍
Amen to the "rolling". Last year, I went up an old ladder stand that I had and the danged thing broke! It wasn't supported correctly so it snapped in the middle. That was the last time I've even wanted to climb up one.

I had to in South Carolina, but a young guy carried all of my stuff up the ladder first. For me it isn't as much rolling because of weight it is because I have MS and my feet and sometimes my hands are numb.

I have now resorted to only using ground blinds for safety. On my hunting property I buy them when they are on special and just set them up. The weeds grow up around them this time of year and camos them up for me. :)

Joe2Kool

Sounds like I'm agreeing with most. I have 2-3 different Summits. A couple of Vipers, and one of the open-faced ones. Although I prefer the Vipers. I like the false sense of security of the bar in front.

Off topic, but tree stand and back pack manufacturers need to get together and design a COMFORTABLE system for carrying tree stands! Point is, don't expect any climber to be comfortable to carry.

Rackseeker

I have owned and used alot of brands over the years and hunt from a climber 95% of the time. For comfort and grip on the tree my favorite is the older API grand slam with Summit seats, I have 3. I guess I have used them so much over the years, I can put them on a tree without use of a light and not making hardly any noise. My second choice if I'm hiking a long way in is a Summit Viper Elite SD (round tube) with mesh seat. With a XOP carry system attached. I have added a shooting rail extension on all of my climbers to make the shooting rail alittle taller.

Last edited:

Mag

2-Step Enabled
Also a Summit fan, I use a Goliath. More stand than I need as I'm not a large guy but man that extra space is nice. I attached front and side bags so everything I may need is well within reach and I don't have to make too much movement.

Latest posts