Lock on stands

deerfever

I have never used one in my life , I have always used climbing stands but I have found an area that simply has few trees and the ones I find always have some reason a climber will not work. Looking for recommendations on a set of sticks and a lock on. Just something simple that a man that has never used a lock ons can get set up in safely and doesn't cost a fortune! Lol, Thanks for any advice!

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
I come from a climbing stand background and now only saddle hunt for the past 3 years. However, during my swap to saddle, I did find that the Hawk Helium's sticks were pretty good for the price. Really like that they had double steps on them. Affordable but a little on the heavy side. Hope that helps a little. I think there is a new Lock-on and sticks in the classifieds currently that very well be worth looking at. I do not know the individual, but it appears to be a good buy.

Cheshire

I have never used one in my life , I have always used climbing stands but I have found an area that simply has few trees and the ones I find always have some reason a climber will not work. Looking for recommendations on a set of sticks and a lock on. Just something simple that a man that has never used a lock ons can get set up in safely and doesn't cost a fortune! Lol, Thanks for any advice!
If I wasn't going to use a climber I would definitely go with a saddle. It might be more expensive, but much more secure feeling and safer in my opinion. XOP renegade come with everything you need except sticks and dump bags for $199. I bought the XOP sticks for 149. Both on Amazon. No complaints

TNJones4530

2-Step Enabled
I dont have a lot of experience but for the money I really have to say the Gamewinner EZ oversize hang on from academy sports are great for the money.. they used to be about $79 but have gone up to $119

I went with muddy sticks too, and have no complaints.. if it wasn't the muddy sticks I would have went with the hawk helium sticks.

dammitbobby

I posted this in another thread at one point but I'll gladly share again. For a mobile setup I use a Hawk ultra light (10 lbs) and the helium sticks. The combo is still for sale on midwayusa.com for $239.99.

For a more permanent setup I also recommend the Academy Gamewinner XL. I got the one with arm rests and I call it the Cadillac! Most comfortable and spacious lock on I've ever sat in.

6AAF1F4B-99E2-4C17-8E0B-6C693BCC358F.png

F4F53320-1ECC-4602-A218-76242F683EC1.jpeg

TboneD

A good mobile hang on stand costs a bunch, especially nowadays. You want not only something light but something that won't make much noise when you cam the stand tight to the tree. This is why cast aluminum stands like the Lone Wolf are the OG. I've tried Hawk, Summit, and Millennium lightweight aluminum stands but for setting up quietly none have measured up to the Lone Wolf. I've got the Assault 2 and I'm selling my larger one, the Alpha 2 (same exact stand as the Novix Echo) since I use my Summit mini Viper most of the time now that I hunt with the crossbow.

If planning on leaving the stand between sits, I'd go with the Millennium M50 which I noticed is running $150 now. Not only is it super comfortable and quiet, you can adjust the leveling front to back for leaning trees (but not also side to side like the Lone Wolf/Novix) and it's really easy to move to a better tree with their cam lock receiver system. You obviously don't want to be toting this 20 lb stand plus sticks to hang and hunt, though.

Last edited:

megalomaniac

I no longer climb, but back in the day, I used to use an 8lb lock on with screw in steps. Very light set up, took just a few minutes to get up a tree no matter how many branches it had.

Got a 70yo friend who taught me the method, but he now uses a saddle and rappels down the tree.

But my climbing days are over. Always had a fear of heights, and now past age 50, I know I no longer bounce if I were to fall... I splat.

RockMcL

If I wasn't going to use a climber I would definitely go with a saddle. It might be more expensive, but much more secure feeling and safer in my opinion. XOP renegade come with everything you need except sticks and dump bags for $199. I bought the XOP sticks for 149. Both on Amazon. No complaints
Thanks for mentioning the XOP. Doing some more research but these cost is more to in comfort zone than others I have looked at.

deerhunter10

I don't hunt out of them much as much. Mostly fixed stands for us or blinds. Still have two summit climbers. But I am about to order a lone Wolfe set and an xop set just to have a quick set up fast. Done a lot of research we still have some summit hang on we hunt out of that are comfortable but they are heavy if you want mobile. Both of those that I mentioned are expensive. You may look into saddles.

fairchaser

Just in case your interested in acquiring one, I have a lone wolf and climbing sticks for sale. At 65, I'm probably not going to be using these anymore.

rem270

I posted this in another thread at one point but I'll gladly share again. For a mobile setup I use a Hawk ultra light (10 lbs) and the helium sticks. The combo is still for sale on midwayusa.com for $239.99.

For a more permanent setup I also recommend the Academy Gamewinner XL. I got the one with arm rests and I call it the Cadillac! Most comfortable and spacious lock on I've ever sat in.

View attachment 153560
View attachment 153561
How do you like this? I seen that on Midway the other day but after reading reviews it stopped me from ordering it. Looks like a great guy tho and would like to hear personal opinions more on here than reviews from all over the world.

TboneD

I have tried them all and my favorite is the Millenium. Any of the lightweight sticks are good. The novix puts up the easiest but not very comfy. Jmo.
I concur although I wouldn't recommend any of the Millenniums for hang and hunt, including their Micro stand. Had one and didn't care for it as a truly mobile stand.

All of the sticks seem to have their strengths and weaknesses with none really standing out that I know of. You can spend a bunch on something really light and compact but can run into issues like folks have with the Tethered. Or you could get something more tried and true like the Lone Wolf/Novix. My Hawks are compact and double stepped but the brackets don't pivot to fit the tree, they're a little heavier, and they're not made in the USA.

I put a millennium style mesh seat on my Lone Assault 2 and I can't really complain about anything on that stand. I also have a Novix Echo which is the same exact stand, made in the same factory here in the USA as the last version of the Lone Wolf Alpha 2 made. For the size of the platform that stand is light, and surprisingly, really doesn't weigh too much more than my Assault 2. I did switch to a thicker and softer seat pad for it, though.

JCDEERMAN

I have used lock-ons for over 20 years. All mine have been cheap ones from Richard's, Wal-Mart or Rural King. Should be able to get a stand for less than $75 and 20' ladder for less than $75 as well. Only had one cable break out of around 20 stands over the years

rem270

I have 10-15 of the Bone Collector hang on's Walmart used to sell and 5-10 of the Big Game brand hang on's. One thing I do now is buy the mesh style seat for a more comfortable seat. Always try and find sales on stands and the sticks. I am looking at buying a light stand and sticks for same day or one time set ups and the XOP looks like the way to go. Not sure if I'll ever pull the trigger on them but this time of year I'm chasing acorns and trying to find where they're feeding on them at and I think I can get a lock on set up quicker than a climber.

deerfever

I bought some sticks and caught a lock on that was on sale at rural King. The stand is heavy but has the mesh seat and arm rest. I sat in it the other Sunday on the side of a tree at the house and it was comfortable. I bought primal sticks and they seem fine. I am going to try this one out as I will hang it , take the bottom two sticks with me and leave it. If someone finds it and steals it I haven't lost much! If I like this style of hunting I am investing in a more mobile, lightweight set up as some of you are describing. Where are you guys getting your lineman's ropes to attach yourself to the tree as you go up and hang the stand? I may have to order one but Wondering if there is anywhere that may have them in stock? Thanks so much for all the input as I may end up with a lighter set up if this goes well.