Lock on stands

TboneD

I have 10-15 of the Bone Collector hang on's Walmart used to sell and 5-10 of the Big Game brand hang on's. One thing I do now is buy the mesh style seat for a more comfortable seat. Always try and find sales on stands and the sticks. I am looking at buying a light stand and sticks for same day or one time set ups and the XOP looks like the way to go. Not sure if I'll ever pull the trigger on them but this time of year I'm chasing acorns and trying to find where they're feeding on them at and I think I can get a lock on set up quicker than a climber.
I've hunted with several of the best hang on stands out there but IF most of the trees I want to climb can take a climbing stand, I no longer have to think about which stand I'm toting. Here me out because I think much of the popularity of sticks now is simply because of the saddle hunting craze. Also, I know there hasn't been any innovations that I know of with the climbing stands. They've gotten sort of boring and everyone wants one of the high dollar milled ultralight hang ons the boys up north almost have to use because they don't have as many tall, limbless trees to hunt as we do down here. Right?

Well I've had three different Millenniums in recent years and still have two Lone Wolf/Novix stands and several sets of various brands of sticks. I've also got my late son's Summit Viper and another one he gave me that I have in the woods. My #1 stand, though, is my Summit MINI Viper which really should be called something more like "Good things come in small packages". While it's a couple of pounds lighter than my full-size Vipers, what makes it so much better for mobile hunting is how the 4" shorter seating section and platform make it both easier and quieter to tote in the woods. It just rides so much higher on me. Now I'm only 5'9" but it's what my 6' hunting buddy, Chris Wilson uses all the time now as well. Folks that have thought this stand is just for ladies and kids just couldn't be any more wrong. (My only accessories on it are the Summit front storage bag and footrest, and the Lone Wolf Custom Gear pack straps and hip belt.)

While the hang-on sets don't actually take too much more time to set, there's just so much more fiddle factor and sweat involved. And if you want to take advantage of their number one advantage in that you can leave it up to hunt later you really need to tote a long, heavy safety line as well. But speaking of safety, I really don't think you can hunt any safer than with a good climber like a Summit.

Anyhow, just some advice you can take or leave from this old self-confessed gear junkie. 😊

JCDEERMAN

I bought some sticks and caught a lock on that was on sale at rural King. The stand is heavy but has the mesh seat and arm rest. I sat in it the other Sunday on the side of a tree at the house and it was comfortable. I bought primal sticks and they seem fine. I am going to try this one out as I will hang it , take the bottom two sticks with me and leave it. If someone finds it and steals it I haven't lost much! If I like this style of hunting I am investing in a more mobile, lightweight set up as some of you are describing. Where are you guys getting your lineman's ropes to attach yourself to the tree as you go up and hang the stand? I may have to order one but Wondering if there is anywhere that may have them in stock? Thanks so much for all the input as I may end up with a lighter set up if this goes well.
Hunter Safety System Rope-Style Tree Strap for Tree-Stand Hunting and Climbing https://a.co/d/eShPDZj

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

TboneD

I bought some sticks and caught a lock on that was on sale at rural King. The stand is heavy but has the mesh seat and arm rest. I sat in it the other Sunday on the side of a tree at the house and it was comfortable. I bought primal sticks and they seem fine. I am going to try this one out as I will hang it , take the bottom two sticks with me and leave it. If someone finds it and steals it I haven't lost much! If I like this style of hunting I am investing in a more mobile, lightweight set up as some of you are describing. Where are you guys getting your lineman's ropes to attach yourself to the tree as you go up and hang the stand? I may have to order one but Wondering if there is anywhere that may have them in stock? Thanks so much for all the input as I may end up with a lighter set up if this goes well.
Wish we had a Rural King around here. Surprised they didn't have a rope style tree strap that's also used as a linesman's belt with your harness. Got mine at a store I won't recommend anymore but any good sporting goods store that has full body harnesses should have them.

You could also use a hanging step aider at the bottom of your bottom stick so you could hang it about as high as you can reach. That way you can get a little more height and maybe feel comfortable enough to only tote your bottom stick in and out of the woods.

As for a good mobile set, as I already posted above I highly recommend a good climber if most of the trees you have don't have low limbs. Just so much more efficient a method to hunt!

JCDEERMAN

Wish we had a Rural King around here.
No kidding. Knoxville has about 4 of them. Crossville has one. Nashville - zero. Clarksville is too far and too boring of a drive 🤣. I've gone on their website to their "suggestion for location" area and said basically anywhere around Nashville - Dickson, Franklin, Lebanon, Hendersonville…ANYWHERE and they'll have my business 🤣

TboneD

No kidding. Knoxville has about 4 of them. Crossville has one. Nashville - zero. Clarksville is too far and too boring of a drive 🤣. I've gone on their website to their "suggestion for location" area and said basically anywhere around Nashville - Dickson, Franklin, Lebanon, Hendersonville…ANYWHERE and they'll have my business 🤣
Guess from the name, though, we really can't complain 😂

TboneD

…cause between Lebanon and Nashville it sure ain't rural no more!

deerfever

Wish we had a Rural King around here. Surprised they didn't have a rope style tree strap that's also used as a linesman's belt with your harness. Got mine at a store I won't recommend anymore but any good sporting goods store that has full body harnesses should have them.

You could also use a hanging step aider at the bottom of your bottom stick so you could hang it about as high as you can reach. That way you can get a little more height and maybe feel comfortable enough to only tote your bottom stick in and out of the woods.

As for a good mobile set, as I already posted above I highly recommend a good climber if most of the trees you have don't have low limbs. Just so much more efficient a method to hunt!
I hunt from and have two summit vipers most of the time. I have walked all over trying to find trees to climb to no avail. I found one, a guy has put a ladder stand on it! Lol

TboneD

I hunt from and have two summit vipers most of the time. I have walked all over trying to find trees to climb to no avail. I found one, a guy has put a ladder stand on it! Lol
Gotcha. Just depends on where you hunt. The public land I hunt 90-something% of the time I can get on any tree I want to climb with my Summit since it's an older growth forest.

rem270

I've hunted with several of the best hang on stands out there but IF most of the trees I want to climb can take a climbing stand, I no longer have to think about which stand I'm toting. Here me out because I think much of the popularity of sticks now is simply because of the saddle hunting craze. Also, I know there hasn't been any innovations that I know of with the climbing stands. They've gotten sort of boring and everyone wants one of the high dollar milled ultralight hang ons the boys up north almost have to use because they don't have as many tall, limbless trees to hunt as we do down here. Right?

Well I've had three different Millenniums in recent years and still have two Lone Wolf/Novix stands and several sets of various brands of sticks. I've also got my late son's Summit Viper and another one he gave me that I have in the woods. My #1 stand, though, is my Summit MINI Viper which really should be called something more like "Good things come in small packages". While it's a couple of pounds lighter than my full-size Vipers, what makes it so much better for mobile hunting is how the 4" shorter seating section and platform make it both easier and quieter to tote in the woods. It just rides so much higher on me. Now I'm only 5'9" but it's what my 6' hunting buddy, Chris Wilson uses all the time now as well. Folks that have thought this stand is just for ladies and kids just couldn't be any more wrong. (My only accessories on it are the Summit front storage bag and footrest, and the Lone Wolf Custom Gear pack straps and hip belt.)

While the hang-on sets don't actually take too much more time to set, there's just so much more fiddle factor and sweat involved. And if you want to take advantage of their number one advantage in that you can leave it up to hunt later you really need to tote a long, heavy safety line as well. But speaking of safety, I really don't think you can hunt any safer than with a good climber like a Summit.

Anyhow, just some advice you can take or leave from this old self-confessed gear junkie. 😊
Beings I only hunt private ground I absolutely hate toting a climber in the morning of. I do have a Summit Viper that is supposed to be one of the lightest out there and it is dang sure light. Usually from previous scouting within a couple days time I'll find where I want to hunt and then set the climber up and hunt it the next morning after figuring out which way the wind is supposed to be. I would probably be the same with a lock on and set of sticks. I agree with you that a bunch of the lock and and stick style has gotten popular just because people are talking and posting more pics of it now. I don't see that ever changing me and I have no use to want to try a saddle. My only reason for considering a lock on for this type of hunting I generally do just this time of year on private is because I just like them better.

RockMcL

If I wasn't going to use a climber I would definitely go with a saddle. It might be more expensive, but much more secure feeling and safer in my opinion. XOP renegade come with everything you need except sticks and dump bags for $199. I bought the XOP sticks for 149. Both on Amazon. No complaints
Ended up getting the XOP renegade kit & the XOP sticks. First hunt tonight. Got to practice the roll under tether and hang out backwards for the shot. Meat is chillin...

I definitely have some fine tuning to do but am so glad I read your post and started digging. At 66 years young, I was worried about knee pressure/length of steps but the XOPs are easy enough on me. Most relaxing/comfortable 😌 hunt I've had in a long time.

Latest posts