Just a Reminder - Be Careful Out There- Tree Stands

backyardtndeer

Several models of the Samsung watches have fall detection. My wife wears one due to her disability and being a fall risk. Thankfully, it's never been used as of yet but it's a nice peace of mind knowing if she takes a tumble, myself and my father in-law will get notifications. I work only about 10 mins from the house.
My wife has a Samsung watch as well, it has a lot of features that she should but doesn't use. Not sure if hers has fall detection or not though.

scn

Ditto! The one ladder stand I mess with, I always ADD TO, never remove unless I absolutely have to due to no available connection points. As scn stated, if possible, weld a J bolt or eye bolt, use hook and eye turn buckle and metal chain and you can super secure the ladder for years to come.
If you aren't a welder, you can easily connect the chain on one side, and the turnbuckle on the other with the chain quick links. It takes about a 6" section of chain to attach the turnbuckle with the quick link.

Smells Like Sulfur

I'm glad you are alive, and getting better. You're very fortunate.

I generally don't use tree stands for just that reason. I've been known to climb trees, but the strap-on stands and stairs scare the crap out of me, and those little screw in steps are terrifying. Imagine falling and knocking your head on one of those.

BSK

I'm glad you are alive, and getting better. You're very fortunate.

I generally don't use tree stands for just that reason. I've been known to climb trees, but the strap-on stands and stairs scare the crap out of me, and those little screw in steps are terrifying. Imagine falling and knocking your head on one of those.
Or being gutted by them. It has happened.

Smells Like Sulfur

Or being gutted by them. It has happened.
I'm currently in the process of building a treehouse for my kids, I've calculated the static and dynamic loads, and the hardware size requirements to handle an adult in a tree. We're talking 1in, high grade SS bolts that are a foot long to make a stand that will safely hold an adult.

Most cheep tree stands come nowhere close to the minimum 6x dynamic load safety margin. Those little screw in steps have a 400 lb limit, realistically, the limit should be well over a thousand pounds for dynamic loading, like stepping on them or hanging on them, like you're supposed to. I'm about 200 lb, that means if I were to lightly jump on one of those steps, it would snap off, the dynamic load of me falling about a foot is WELL over 400 lbs. Not to mention being eviscerated, I'm not sure how those are still sold with the liability. If I weighed 100 lb soaking wet, I may consider using a stand.

Don't quote me on these numbers, I believe OSHA (or whatever the official construction safety organization is) recommends that any type of rigging be 4x stronger than the actual load, and 6x stronger if that load involves personnel, or someone's safety. There is absolutely no way some of those cheap stands meet those requirements.

A large portion of my hunter's education course was dedicated to tree stand safety as well. They said that tree stands are the most dangerous part of hunting.

Tn_Va_Hunter

When I was 14(26 years ago) it was late archery season and snow flying my dad dropped me off at a place I had permission to hunt on. The plan was hed pick me up at dark. I undid my harness and stripped on the first step, the screw in kind, and if csme
Loose. Down I went. I had one rip open my leg behind my new. Required 48
Stitches. I also broke a wrist. I start crawling out and thankful my dad was already coming in for me because it was dark. He went to a neighbors and called Ems. Took weeks to get over that. Now I'm tetherd to the tree up and down no matter the stand.

Smells Like Sulfur

When I was 14(26 years ago) it was late archery season and snow flying my dad dropped me off at a place I had permission to hunt on. The plan was hed pick me up at dark. I undid my harness and stripped on the first step, the screw in kind, and if csme
Loose. Down I went. I had one rip open my leg behind my new. Required 48
Stitches. I also broke a wrist. I start crawling out and thankful my dad was already coming in for me because it was dark. He went to a neighbors and called Ems. Took weeks to get over that. Now I'm tetherd to the tree up and down no matter the stand.
Glad to hear that you're okay, that could have been much worse.

Latest posts