Careful out there

th88

Considering I was bitten by a cottonmouth in mid-January, I wear snakeboots ALL YEAR-ROUND.
Can't believe I'm the first to ask about the aftermath. Did you have snake boots on then? If not, skin penetration? What became of the bite? Need details!

BSK

Bryan, when I was stationed at Fort Campbell in the late 1980s, I did a lot of fishing on the river at Dover. There were several places there that I never went into without seeing at least one cottonmouth, especially in midsummer.
That would make sense. They have definitely been reported along the Cumberland. The Tennessee is full of them.

BSK

Can't believe I'm the first to ask about the aftermath. Did you have snake boots on then? If not, skin penetration? What became of the bite? Need details!
He got me twice before I realized what was happening. And yes, I was wearing snakeboots. No penetration by fangs.

I always wear snakeboots when I'm in the woods. Every day of the year. I've even had timber rattlers slither across my boots a time or two.

cheatham

I think there's the possibility of seeing a cottonmouth along the Cumberland River. However, I don't buy for a second all the stories from people who say the Harpeth River is full of cottonmouths. They're just seeing common water snakes. I've been on the Harpeth quite a bit and never seen one.

Now KY Lake/TN River? Loads of them.
I have a place in Kingston Springs on the Turnbull (a trib of the Harpeth) and it is infested with moccasins. Carry a judge with birdshot on me every time I'm on the water and usually kill a snake or two. Leave watersnakes alone but moccasins and copperheads get no mercy. There are definitely moccasins on the Harpeth, but I think all the canoe traffic has pushed many of them into the tribs.
DE6711FD-ACA1-4C73-9EC6-739C96D7A722.jpeg

Attachments

• 70032984-E9C7-458D-8C18-2D6B053046C1.jpeg
    70032984-E9C7-458D-8C18-2D6B053046C1.jpeg
    355.2 KB · Views: 49

BSK

I have a place in Kingston Springs on the Turnbull (a trib of the Harpeth) and it is infested with moccasins. Carry a judge with birdshot on me every time I'm on the water and usually kill a snake or two. Leave watersnakes alone but moccasins and copperheads get no mercy. There are definitely moccasins on the Harpeth, but I think all the canoe traffic has pushed many of them into the tribs.View attachment 161413
Great info and pictures! Thanks! First confirmed cottonmouths I've seen from the Harpeth.

Outdoor Enthusiast

I have a place in Kingston Springs on the Turnbull (a trib of the Harpeth) and it is infested with moccasins. Carry a judge with birdshot on me every time I'm on the water and usually kill a snake or two. Leave watersnakes alone but moccasins and copperheads get no mercy. There are definitely moccasins on the Harpeth, but I think all the canoe traffic has pushed many of them into the tribs.View attachment 161413
I can't believe that snake is sleeping on that log like that with your gun just laying there. Lol.

redblood

I think there's the possibility of seeing a cottonmouth along the Cumberland River. However, I don't buy for a second all the stories from people who say the Harpeth River is full of cottonmouths. They're just seeing common water snakes. I've been on the Harpeth quite a bit and never seen one.

Now KY Lake/TN River? Loads of them.
Yep. Any northern water snake over 3 ft instantly becomes a copperheaded rattle mocassin. Especially with people who fear snakes.

Latest posts