Be careful out there…you never know

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
You never know what your going to come across. 3 or 4 weeks ago I was on Public doing some last minute speed scouting. As I come up to the power line ride away that crosses the property, something caught my attention. The area is really grown up. What I noticed was the cable hanging about 5 feet above the ground. I was 2 steps away when I noticed it and stopped. (I'm a electrician by trade) and quickly realized this could be a energized line based on some of the burnt tips of the over growth. This made me sick to my stomach knowing that within weeks people could be walking to go set up in the dark and hit this and game over! I got the pole number and called the local utility. They were out within an hour or two to address the issue.
Today I went by there to see how much clearing or bush hogging they did to make the repair. What I discovered, had to have been there on my first trip but didn't see it due to the over growth. The power line must have been hanging for a while before I discovered it. The remains of a doe (bones) lay piled up directly under the line.
The line feel because the insulator holding it broke off a rotten cross member on the pole.
Just a reminder for all to keep a watchful eye out for the things you don't expect to encounter. Be careful out there. Happy hunting and shoot straight.
Hopefully the video plays correctly.

Attachments

• 8F4E95C2-5999-4499-8459-2E195DAB7C17.jpeg
    8F4E95C2-5999-4499-8459-2E195DAB7C17.jpeg
    563.7 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1732.MOV
    15.2 MB

Speedwell-Hunter

You never know what your going to come across. 3 or 4 weeks ago I was on Public doing some last minute speed scouting. As I come up to the power line ride away that crosses the property, something caught my attention. The area is really grown up. What I noticed was the cable hanging about 5 feet above the ground. I was 2 steps away when I noticed it and stopped. (I'm a electrician by trade) and quickly realized this could be a energized line based on some of the burnt tips of the over growth. This made me sick to my stomach knowing that within weeks people could be walking to go set up in the dark and hit this and game over! I got the pole number and called the local utility. They were out within an hour or two to address the issue.
Today I went by there to see how much clearing or bush hogging they did to make the repair. What I discovered, had to have been there on my first trip but didn't see it due to the over growth. The power line must have been hanging for a while before I discovered it. The remains of a doe (bones) lay piled up directly under the line.
The line feel because the insulator holding it broke off a rotten cross member on the pole.
Just a reminder for all to keep a watchful eye out for the things you don't expect to encounter. Be careful out there. Happy hunting and shoot straight.
Sure it wasn't a john doe? Buh dum cha! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

dsam

This is great advice to all! I remember watching on TV show of a big game hunter out West came across a small metal box out in the middle of an old farm. He went over to it and he was electrocuted and almost died. There are many dangers when afield! Everyone try to know their areas and always know your background when shooting!

Latest posts