stands

C1295

I have always hunted from a ladder stand and a blind. Well I hunt all public land now and looking into getting me a climber for this upcoming season. What stands do you recommend looking into and why? I walk quite a ways so the less weight the better.

rem270

If I was going to use a climber it would be Summit hands down. Honestly anymore if I'm not hunting from one of my primary stands and want to hunt a different spot without a stand I enjoy picking some good cover and hunting from the ground. That's private not public though.

MidTennFisher

I have a Summit Viper and love it. It isn't too heavy, around 22 lbs. Really it's annoying when you've got that thing on your back and you're dragging a deer out of the woods.

Sometimes it can make noise while walking, you can stop and adjust it so the bars stop banging into each other. For the lightest option, you can't beat one of those lock on or hang on, whatever they're called. But the wide open area just doesn't make me comfortable. That Summit has you completely enclosed and it's very comfortable to sit in.

useyourbow

I would recommend looking into saddle hunting. My setup w/sticks is less than 8lbs. and I can climb any tree, not just those straight ones with no limbs. Saddle hunting is safer than using a climber as well which is important if you do a lot of hunting by yourself. Once you master the climbing part which doesn't take long you can be up a tree has fast or faster then a climber and a lot quieter.

dsa5455

I have had a number of different types of stands through the years. I now have the Summit Goliath Stand. But in my younger days I bought a Lone Wolf hand climbing stand. It was light, so very quiet and I could be up the tree in just a few minutes. It was an open design suited well for bow hunting but it could be murderous for an all day sit. My Summit friends that tried my LW were very uncomfortable with the openness design. The Summit Goliath gives me a good balance of comfort and set up.

gobblesandgrunts

I use a lone wolf hang assault 2 on and some shikar climbing sticks by out on a limb. My stand is 11lbs and sticks are only 24oz a piece, I run 5 total. It's great for running and gunning and doesn't drag you down

Gravey

I hunt private land and have gotten lazy. Typically climb up in a ladder stand or box blind and I like that because I don't sweat to death and make basically no noise. I have a summit viper that is super comfortable but rarely use it. I bought a saddle setup over a year ago but haven't practiced enough with it to give an opinion but will say it's much lighter to carry in and you don't have to have a straight tree with no limbs.

kaizen leader

I have always hunted from a ladder stand and a blind. Well I hunt all public land now and looking into getting me a climber for this upcoming season. What stands do you recommend looking into and why? I walk quite a ways so the less weight the better.
I bought a climber made for Walmart. It is built very well and is very comfortable but it's a tank. It says it's aluminum but it's steel and heavy. I'm 73 and can still use it but I wouldn't want to carry it very far and probably won't use it much longer.

Latest posts