Be careful moving stands

Big Pop

If I don't have the straps in back tied down and the stabilizer bar in place I wouldn't think about trying to climb to the top of the stand. Just got through moving one about an hour ago. Even added a ratchet strap as high as I could reach to help stabilize it. When you're 69 years old and weigh 235 you think through something like that pretty well before ascending an 18 ft. ladder stand.

Last edited:

ROVERBOY

Last year my wife's cousin was helping me put up a 16" ladder stand. I had climbed up to put ratchet strap around tree and tighten it. I was all the way up and he let the stand fall, and I rode it all the way down. I think I may've been knocked out for a little while, and I think he was too. He looked dead as a door nail. I woke him up. He had hit his head on a tree, I think.

Headhunter

I rarely hunt from ladder stands but I hang them for other people quite often. When I do put up a ladder stand, I hang 2 ratchet straps (long and heavy duty) from seat part of ladder. After leaning stand against tree and securing the stabilizer, I attach the 2 ratchet straps hanging from the seat to another tree down low and pull them across each other. I pull them tight and then climb up and attach the seat part to the tree, I have not had a ladder stand even wiggle when attaching the seat to the tree. I do the same thing when taking them down.

BSK

BSK, glad you are ok.

I decided over 20 years ago that if killing a big deer depended on me climbing in and out trees or ladders then I would never kill any nice deer. No regrets!
Everybody is different. Other than putting them up and taking them down, I feel very safe in a ladder stand (if it has a shooting rail). But you would never catch me in a climbing stand or strap-on stand. Hate those things.

TheLBLman

But you would never catch me in a climbing stand or strap-on stand.
Interestingly, I find ladder stands overall more dangerous than climbing stands.
This is assuming the climber is always wearing a safety strap while climbing, sitting, & descending.

Too many people have a false sense of security with ladder stands, often not wearing safety harnesses, and not realizing old ladder stand metal can simply break, as can support straps holding the ladder against the tree.

Also, many ladder stands now have narrow ladders, for which it is very easy to place your foot outside the ladder rails, and once you miss that step you thought was under your foot, you're either breaking your arm and failing, or letting go to fall (hopefully feet first).

Personally, I've had 2 seriously bad falls from stands.

One was from a height of about 10 feet when I missed the step on a narrow ladder stand (and didn't wear a safety harness while climbing/descending ladder stands). Barely missed getting a sharp stob thru the chest, along with missing some good sized rocks. Hit more on my right foot, and was immediately lateral on ground beside that sharp stob. Broke my right foot, 4 toes, and seriously sprained right ankle.

Other was over 20 feet from from a hang-on stand, when metal step broke as was getting in (and wasn't wearing safety harness at that moment). Probably would have killed me if hadn't been on a very steep slope. Did knock me unconscious and break multiple ribs along with abrasion & impact injuries.

Also sprained my shoulder & broke ribs when fell less than 3 feet, fall stopped by combination of safety harness and chest slamming a limb (breaking ribs).

Hard to be too careful.

BSK

Also, many ladder stands now have narrow ladders, for which it is very easy to place your foot outside the ladder rails, and once you miss that step you thought was under your foot, you're either breaking your arm and failing, or letting go to fall (hopefully feet first).
I truly hate those narrow ladder versions.

Latest posts