Be careful moving stands

BSK

Had a "Well, that's a first" accident while moving stands this weekend and wanted to remind everyone to be careful out there. Crazy stuff happens. We were repositioning a 2-person "buddy" ladder stand, and had it positioned against the tree with two people holding the ladder. I scrambled up the ladder to attach the ratchet straps, but just as I got up to the "basket" of the stand and was about to slip under the shooting rail, the ladder snapped in half, folding inwards towards the tree. The top half of the stand, with my still hanging on, fell backwards away from the tree. I landed flat on my back with the big stand basket on top of me. Luckily, I didn't hit any stobs or rocks and walked away with only a few bumps and bruises, but it could have been much, much worse.

Make sure to inspect ladders for weak points, especially where one ladder section slides inside the one above/below.

tellico4x4

Glad you weren't hurt, we certainly don't bounce as good as we use to!
Pic of one we were moving last year. Folded completely in half when loosening ratchet strap. Lucky that it was one of our younger athletic guy that was on it. He had the presence of mind to " ride" it as it was folding and jumped, tucked & rolled before it hit ground.

Attachments

• IMG_20220822_082001.jpg
    IMG_20220822_082001.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

deerdills

Glad to hear you are ok, could have been bad. I've hung ladders with and without the long straps that go from the foot platform, cross around the backside of tree, and tie off near bottom of ladder. They are a pain as the get caught in limbs and wrapped around the stand, but they help hold the top of stand to the tree before strapping. Did these fail also, or just a weak ladder joint? Was their a ladder brace that goes about halfway up, horizontal to the tree to prevent bowing in the ladder? Sorry for all the questions, just trying help troubleshoot. Again, glad you walked away with just a few bumps.

JCDEERMAN

Man, glad it wasn't any worse. I had a situation last year I was definitely thankful for. I went to replace a ratchet strap on one my dads old ladder stands that hadn't been touched for years. Since I'm the most athletic one of the bunch, I headed out there. I climbed and got to the very top, when the dry-rotted strap decided to break. Well, I started falling backwards, looked behind me and saw a tree within reach that was about 4" in diameter. Just big enough and sturdy enough for me to grab and push back toward the main tree. I somehow whirled that ratchet around the tree with only one hand and wrangled the stand back to the main tree and ratchet it. I remember getting to the ground and looking up thinking, "how the hell did I do that?" If that little tree wasn't there, no telling what wound have happened, but I know I would have ended up about 15' away from the base of the tree. Just a reminder to check stands more often and keep them maintained.

BSK

Glad to hear you are ok, could have been bad. I've hung ladders with and without the long straps that go from the foot platform, cross around the backside of tree, and tie off near bottom of ladder. They are a pain as the get caught in limbs and wrapped around the stand, but they help hold the top of stand to the tree before strapping. Did these fail also, or just a weak ladder joint? Was their a ladder brace that goes about halfway up, horizontal to the tree to prevent bowing in the ladder? Sorry for all the questions, just trying help troubleshoot. Again, glad you walked away with just a few bumps.
We've started using cross-brace strapping around the back of the tree, but only after the stand is ratchet-strapped to the tree. We take it off after we take a stand down, before we carry the stand through the woods. having that strapping dragging all over is not an option when transporting. Then once the stand is up and ratchet-strapped to the tree, we put cross-brace straps back on. We may have to rethink that. I just worry having that strapping on the stand while trying to stand it up, and often pushing through low-hanging branches is a recipe for disaster as well. I guess you weigh your options/risks.

We had not installed the stabilizer bar between ladder and tree yet. That's the last thing we do because we like to put a fair amount of tension outwards when installing the stabilizer bar (pushing against the tension of the cross-brace straps). But that is exactly where the ladder broke - just above the rung that has the stabilizer bar attachment.

BSK

What age was the stand ?? I'm thinking several of mine may be ready to scrap. Hate to leave them out but taking them down is not a option.
I'll bet that particular stand had been up in the woods year-round for 8 or 9 years. But we have some that have been up over 20 and no problems (although they certainly look a little worse for wear). We have so many stands up (49 at current count), that taking them down at the end of the season isn't an option. It took us most of 2 days to move 15 ladders.

rem270

We had not installed the stabilizer bar between ladder and tree yet. That's the last thing we do because we like to put a fair amount of tension outwards when installing the stabilizer bar (pushing against the tension of the cross-brace straps). But that is exactly where the ladder broke - just above the rung that has the stabilizer bar attachment.
I don't use many ladder stands but the ones I do put up (did one for a buddy Saturday) I like to put the stabilizer on so the stand doesn't move as much when I'm in the stand ratcheting it down. Then after I reposition the bar if needed. The buddy stands make me more nervous than any of them putting a ratchet strap on because I have to actually climb up in the seat or at least on the foot rest part to get the strap around. A lot of the stands I can stand on the last step and get a strap around but the buddy's I can't. It makes you feel like you have no control if the stand was to shift one way or the other.

BSK

Man, glad it wasn't any worse. I had a situation last year I was definitely thankful for. I went to replace a ratchet strap on one my dads old ladder stands that hadn't been touched for years. Since I'm the most athletic one of the bunch, I headed out there. I climbed and got to the very top, when the dry-rotted strap decided to break.
It gets a little expensive, but I've gotten in the habitat of checking every stand a month or so before season and replacing any ratchet strap that shows even the slightest sign of wear or rot. I probably replace 2 dozen per year. Again, a tad expensive, but when your life may depend on a single strap...

Latest posts