Be careful moving stands

Ski

When putting stands up, and I should have done this the last 25 years, I started wearing a harness while putting up stands and taking them down. Having 2 free hands is a game changer. Process is smoother and unquestionably more safe

AMEN!!! I have an arborist rope rig that I run through the loops on my harness. I can easily adjust the slack in the rope so I can lean against the tree completely hands free. It allows me two hands to hang stand, tighten ratchets, etc. I always hang a hook first thing once I'm up the tree so that I can hang the stand on it while wrapping the strap around to secure the stand. Keeps me from having to hold the stand with one hand while monkeying the strap with one hand. The climbing rope makes it all but impossible to fall. I'm so used to it now that I'm afraid to hang a stand without it. I also have a HSS lifeline on every stand so I'm never up a tree without being tethered.

Of all the dumb ways I tempt fate, dying because I wasn't strapped won't be one of them ..... anymore

Going more than one season with a lock-on strap scares the bejeebers out of me!

Me too. I pretty much never use the supplied straps anymore. I buy 1.5" wide straps for the stand, and 1" ratchets for the ladders. Seems the ladders always come with cheap cam straps. I replace them with ratchets.

JCDEERMAN

AMEN!!! I have an arborist rope rig that I run through the loops on my harness. I can easily adjust the slack in the rope so I can lean against the tree completely hands free. It allows me two hands to hang stand, tighten ratchets, etc. I always hang a hook first thing once I'm up the tree so that I can hang the stand on it while wrapping the strap around to secure the stand. Keeps me from having to hold the stand with one hand while monkeying the strap with one hand. The climbing rope makes it all but impossible to fall. I'm so used to it now that I'm afraid to hang a stand without it.
I've typically hung a hook as well. Makes things much easier. I should use my saddle for this. May try that in 2 weeks.

gatodoc

I used to add a snug but not tight chain to all my ladder stands along with the straps. That and safety ropes went on all. Now I hunt from the ground or sportsman's condos. Still manage to trip on the ground but the fall isn't as bad.

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
We started using chains and turnbuckles on our ladderstands before my dad quit hunting out of them. We'd slightly loosen them at the end of season and retighten at the end of summer.
If you wanted to install a lifeline before hanging a ladder stand, a set of climbing sticks and a linemans belt on your harness/saddle would make it fairly easy. It would be more of a hassle with trees that had multiple limbs, but still doable.

Lost Lake

I haven't read all the responses, but I've heard someone say that when the wind moves a tree back and forth, it's working the metal on a ladder stand slightly each time. If it stays in constant use, even if moved to another tree, the metal will fail where it bends most. Makes sense I guess.

I've heard of a few folding up like yours did.

BSK

It really is not that difficult. If you have the straps tied at the tops before you ever stand the stand up against the tree, you just leave them hang.
Problem is, that's just more stuff to catch in branches as we stand the ladder up. We're often pushing the stand up through overhanging lower limbs. At times that can be very difficult (we place stands in some pretty thick areas).

I have even heard of people using the straps with an extra person and some rope tied to them to help pull the stand up from behind the tree. For transport, when you pull the stand down, just wrap the loose straps around the stand and tie them off, could take an extra minute or two tops.
I actually carry two ropes with metal hooks that attach to the ladder's floor that I use to pull the stand up. At least 2 people lifting and one pulling from behind the tree generally stands the ladder up easily, unless we're having to shove the stand up through a lot of branches.

With 2-person ladders, once a stand is down, we completely disassemble it as far as it can be (ladder sections all taken apart, stabilizer bar removed, etc.). Then one person carrying the stand basket upside-down, with seat resting on their shoulder, we carry it to where it will be set back up (or usually to a vehicle to get it as close as possible to where it will be erected). But walking long distances through the woods with basket, ladder rungs distributed between people, pole saw, hand saw, chain saw, rubber mallet for pounding ladder sections back together, pack with extra straps, WD40, wrenches for rusted wingnuts, cat-eye tacks, etc. can be quite the production. When we're trying to knock out 10-15 moved stands a day, and the youngest of us is 60, time/effort is of the essential.

Although without question, strapping the cross straps AND the stabilizer bar FIRST before climbing the stand to attach the ratchet strap is the safest. Even though that might require several trips up and down the ladder to readjust the cross-straps and stabilizer until the stand's floor/seat are level before attaching ratchet strap.

camoman270

Had a "Well, that's a first" accident while moving stands this weekend and wanted to remind everyone to be careful out there. Crazy stuff happens. We were repositioning a 2-person "buddy" ladder stand, and had it positioned against the tree with two people holding the ladder. I scrambled up the ladder to attach the ratchet straps, but just as I got up to the "basket" of the stand and was about to slip under the shooting rail, the ladder snapped in half, folding inwards towards the tree. The top half of the stand, with my still hanging on, fell backwards away from the tree. I landed flat on my back with the big stand basket on top of me. Luckily, I didn't hit any stobs or rocks and walked away with only a few bumps and bruises, but it could have been much, much worse.

Make sure to inspect ladders for weak points, especially where one ladder section slides inside the one above/below.

Laserman1

When putting up a ladder stand I also carry my hawk sticks. Place stand against tree, wrap the straps around the tree and legs of stand then put steps on backside of tree, climb up with harness to ratchet stand to tree. Take sticks down as I climb down.

JohnG30

Had a "Well, that's a first" accident while moving stands this weekend and wanted to remind everyone to be careful out there. Crazy stuff happens. We were repositioning a 2-person "buddy" ladder stand, and had it positioned against the tree with two people holding the ladder. I scrambled up the ladder to attach the ratchet straps, but just as I got up to the "basket" of the stand and was about to slip under the shooting rail, the ladder snapped in half, folding inwards towards the tree. The top half of the stand, with my still hanging on, fell backwards away from the tree. I landed flat on my back with the big stand basket on top of me. Luckily, I didn't hit any stobs or rocks and walked away with only a few bumps and bruises, but it could have been much, much worse.

Make sure to inspect ladders for weak points, especially where one ladder section slides inside the one above/below.
I always like to use a rope or ratchet strap to hold the together when moving them. Too much can happen in a hurry that we can't control or react to quickly enough.

jmlost

Yup. Lots of "air time" but don't think I stuck the landing.

I've started using a climber to put on the straps after I lean against tree. Doesn't work on all trees. I hate putting that first strap on leaning across platform.

TheLBLman

SCN puts up, moves, takes down ladder stands frequently all by himself
using one of these contraptions.

Much safer than most the other ideas.
I watched him erect a 21-ft HEAVY Millennium ladder stand with very little effort.

Latest posts