Be careful moving stands

BSK

SCN puts up, moves, takes down ladder stands frequently all by himself
using one of these contraptions.

Much safer than most the other ideas.
I watched him erect a 21-ft HEAVY Millennium ladder stand with very little effort.

Can he do 20 per day?

gary66

I build things, knowing breaking points are an interest. In construction the rule of 3 is used. If something breaks at 3000 pounds of pressure it's rated at 1000. Don't remember why I looked into what ladders were rated at, but I did. A ladder rated at 300 pounds isn't the ladder itself, it's the rung, each rung can safety hold 300 pounds and would break at 900.

I'd pull a new stand and wonder about them, they just didn't seem able to hold the weight rated if the breaking point was x3. After questioning them about it, to my dislike, they use the rule of 2, didn't know they could. Ever wonder why stands fail, that's the reason. Once I found that I never trusted a stand out of the box. Always strengthen them, always add what you think is needed.

BigAl

I've had some close calls, but luckily not that kind of issue. I did have the ladder of a tripod snap/buckle on me, but can't remember the root cause. For ladders I use one of those hand crank contraptions as well. When I was younger and stronger, I could lift the ladder myself and add/attach one ladder section at a time with the ladder against the tree.. Too old for that.

Jon54

I've shared this before, but it's worthy of sharing again. I had a similar experience on 11/11/17. The date is firmly in my head as I destroyed my right leg/ankle but am blessed it wasn't worse. Where I fell, there was no cell signal.

Once I took inventory of myself, I hobbled 200 yards back to my atv. Loaded it back on my truck and drove 2 hours back home. I wasn't going to stop at a community hospital. On 11/15, I had surgery that put a plate and 13 screws in my leg. The continued ache reminds me how lucky I was.

Attachments

• C1B207A3-270A-4B32-8996-48C29FA428FD.jpeg
    C1B207A3-270A-4B32-8996-48C29FA428FD.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 8661DBE6-CBD6-4D62-B528-D9D2C30A6FEC.jpeg
    8661DBE6-CBD6-4D62-B528-D9D2C30A6FEC.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 32

tntime

Had a "Well, that's a first" accident while moving stands this weekend and wanted to remind everyone to be careful out there. Crazy stuff happens. We were repositioning a 2-person "buddy" ladder stand, and had it positioned against the tree with two people holding the ladder. I scrambled up the ladder to attach the ratchet straps, but just as I got up to the "basket" of the stand and was about to slip under the shooting rail, the ladder snapped in half, folding inwards towards the tree. The top half of the stand, with my still hanging on, fell backwards away from the tree. I landed flat on my back with the big stand basket on top of me. Luckily, I didn't hit any stobs or rocks and walked away with only a few bumps and bruises, but it could have been much, much worse.

Make sure to inspect ladders for weak points, especially where one ladder section slides inside the one above/below.
Glad you're okay! I have a nephew and a cousin who were injured by failing stands and falling from the stand. Both suffered back injuries. Both are still hunting, and always reinforcing tree stand safety and harnesses!

BSK

Probably not :D

But by using those stand winches, one person can do this,
maybe more safely than how you've been doing it with multiple people.
I still want at least one other person there myself;
the winch allows two people to safely do it.
It would take me (as I rarely have help outside of one weekend) a month to move the stands needed. I don't have that kind of time away from work.

Next year, I think we will try attaching the cross-straps and stabilizer bar before climbing the stand to attach the ratchet straps. It will be interesting to see how much that slows us down. I'm all for trying to be as safe as reasonable, but there are risks involved in everything we do. The question is what level of risk is acceptable.

Jaahspike

Why a blessing you weren't hurt worse!!!! I am working hard to fight off having a 3rd back surgery so just reading your story made my back hurt!!!! My brother and I used a tractor recently to put up a buddy stand and it was amazing. Lot more support and gives more confidence!!

BSK

Why a blessing you weren't hurt worse!!!! I am working hard to fight off having a 3rd back surgery so just reading your story made my back hurt!!!! My brother and I used a tractor recently to put up a buddy stand and it was amazing. Lot more support and gives more confidence!!
I wish we could get a tractor in to the places we put stands, but they are usually 1) in thick cover, 2) far away from roads, and 3) on very steep hillsides.

And sorry to hear about your back issues/surgeries. Sadly, I may be heading that way myself. Got something weird going on in my lower back. Thought it was a muscle issue, but after a year and a half with no decline in the pain...

FLTENNHUNTER1

Had a "Well, that's a first" accident while moving stands this weekend and wanted to remind everyone to be careful out there. Crazy stuff happens. We were repositioning a 2-person "buddy" ladder stand, and had it positioned against the tree with two people holding the ladder. I scrambled up the ladder to attach the ratchet straps, but just as I got up to the "basket" of the stand and was about to slip under the shooting rail, the ladder snapped in half, folding inwards towards the tree. The top half of the stand, with my still hanging on, fell backwards away from the tree. I landed flat on my back with the big stand basket on top of me. Luckily, I didn't hit any stobs or rocks and walked away with only a few bumps and bruises, but it could have been much, much worse.

Make sure to inspect ladders for weak points, especially where one ladder section slides inside the one above/below.
Dan Marino Holy Shit GIF

FLTENNHUNTER1

Good info glad you weren't seriously hurt. I sold my hunting property recently, but would change my straps on my stands (only had 5) annually. I would use my climbing stand to climb up the back of the tree to change the straps. I did everything by myself and had a scary situation climbing up one of the ladder stands and the strap broke before I got up to the top. After that I stopped using the straps that came with the stands and upgraded all of them. That is also when I started using my climber to change the upgraded straps. It's amazing how fast UV damage can weaken them.

Jaahspike

I wish we could get a tractor in to the places we put stands, but they are usually 1) in thick cover, 2) far away from roads, and 3) on very steep hillsides.

And sorry to hear about your back issues/surgeries. Sadly, I may be heading that way myself. Got something weird going on in my lower back. Thought it was a muscle issue, but after a year and a half with no decline in the pain...
Super late replying but I do know that physical therapy and chiropractor is a great place to start. You just don't want to let it go too far and you end up having nerve damage. Good luck to you brother

square

Deerdills has the idea. I have a roll of 5/16 nylon rope that we use as cross straps. Tie a length of rope to each corner of the platform, cross them behind the tree and have your partner stand away from the tree and pull them tight while the T bar is securely attached. Tie them off tothe ladder rails with a truckers knot once the ratchet strap iss tightened. I believe I'll check my stands closer for rust.

Latest posts