Baiting Bill HB1618/SB1942

Should baiting be allowed on private land?

• Yes

Votes: 147 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 178 46.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 57 14.9%

• Total voters

Bull_TN

I hate subdivision expansion. I hate to see habitat destroyed. But TWRA doesnt manage or regulate subdivision construction?
So you are saying that because you can clear your land and destroy habitat by building houses...that this justifies someone baiting on private land? Trying to follow?
I was just trying to point out the hypocrisy of us all fussing over whether it's ethical, moral, legal, hell Biblical according to a few post for us to put out corn for about a quarter of the year. Like I originally said, baiting IS legal in TN most of the year (pile corn), and you can hunt 100 feet from a bait pile legally in TN as long as the pile is on your non-hunting neighbors land. I just can't take the conversation seriously in it's current form. It seems to me like we've allowed so many legal options to bait that we might as well get on with taking off the few remaining restrictions. Everything in politics is a give and take. I would give the open baiting to take the requirements that all bait must be spread. In my humble opinion, we would be in a better spot and keep TWRA from policing nonsense. FYI, I heard a story of a TWRA officer kicking a guys disabled and 99.9% empty feeder and a few pieces of corn fell out and he got a ticket. The guy had taken out the battery and scooped out all the corn he could get to (intent was in the right place). This all seems like nonsense to me. I think all these kinds of conversations and laws are at the core of hunter recruitment going down every year.

Last edited:

Wildcat

I've skipped over most of this thread but let me offer you all an idea.

Look north to Kentucky. In Kentucky, baiting is legal on private property. Don't try it on public land, there it's illegal.

Look at the "problems" Ky's having with bating or lack of "problems".

A few years ago KY started "unlimited" doe hunting in a few counties in Western KY. Today almost half the countries have it, mostly western and northern middle KY. There is no limit on does as long as you have the extra tags for all of them. Yes, KY's still a one-buck state.

I know dozens of people who run deer feeders all season and most of the winter. Very few have shot big bucks over them but over the years they have taken big bucks AWAY from the feeders.

DoubleRidge

I was just trying to point out the hypocrisy of us all fussing over whether it's ethical, moral, legal, hell Biblical according to a few post for us to put out corn for about a quarter of the year. Like I originally said, baiting IS legal in TN most of the year (pile corn), and you can hunt 100 feet from a bait pile legally in TN as long as the pile is on your non-hunting neighbors land. I just can't take the conversation seriously in it's current form.
I get what your saying...and from that standpoint I'd much rather all feeding be stopped verses legalized hunting over bait...but from what I see at walmart and TSC the "deer corn" normally starts moving out the door in the fall....but im sure there are exceptions where a few people can afford a supplemental feeding program year around.
And if feeding is banned in the CWD zone to help slow the spread of the disease then we might as well stop all feeding now and end the hypocrisy.

mike243

Its 250y from bait not 100ft. I would bet pictures were taken of the empty feeder to use in court word of mouth means nothing when you can get pictures.

megalomaniac

Thanks for the reply Mega...appreciate the explanation. Hope the Coyote hunt is going well!
I'm struggling... located a pair in the dark this morn and got in tight after 1st light.. The male came out fast, but the female hung up in the thick stuff. Didn't want to risk killing neither, so I shot him before he buggered. Did some pups in distress after the shot, and the female went nuts howling and barking 75y away, but I couldn't coax her out.

Made another 8 blind sets today, but no luck.

That's the down side to pounding them all the time... there aren't many to hunt, and the few left get smart quick.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240225_183557_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240225_183557_Gallery.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 26

DoubleRidge

I'm struggling... located a pair in the dark this morn and got in tight after 1st light.. The male came out fast, but the female hung up in the thick stuff. Didn't want to risk killing neither, so I shot him before he buggered. Did some pups in distress after the shot, and the female went nuts howling and barking 75y away, but I couldn't coax her out.

Made another 8 blind sets today, but no luck.

That's the down side to pounding them all the time... there aren't many to hunt, and the few left get smart quick.
Nice! Good deal!

GreeneGriz

What a cluster ____ of a conversation.
The middle and west Tennessee folks who hunt around ag fields with tons of wasted grain laying on the ground all fall and winter long talk down to the folks in East Tennessee who hunt thousands of acres of steep rocky land unfit for a food plot because they seem to favor throwing a bag of corn out on their 150 acres of bluffs and ivy thickets. Lol
I've hunted over bait, where it was legal, and about the only effective method to see a deer in millions of acres of wilderness. It didn't guarantee a damn thing. Anyone who thinks baiting is a Lazy man's way or they need to "learn to hunt", needs to get out of their self absorbed bubble they live/hunt in.

MidTennFisher

The middle and west Tennessee folks who hunt around ag fields with tons of wasted grain laying on the ground all fall and winter long talk down to the folks in East Tennessee who hunt thousands of acres of steep rocky land unfit for a food plot because they seem to favor throwing a bag of corn out on their 150 acres of bluffs and ivy thickets. Lol
I've hunted over bait, where it was legal, and about the only effective method to see a deer in millions of acres of wilderness. It didn't guarantee a damn thing. Anyone who thinks baiting is a Lazy man's way or they need to "learn to hunt", needs to get out of their self absorbed bubble they live/hunt in.
I think most of us have stayed away from whether it's easy or not because that's not necessarily a justified argument against it. Some would claim shooting deer with a rifle is "too easy" vs bow hunting but that's not a reason to remove the rifle season.

My and most people's argument against it is fully rooted in the negative effects on wildlife. There is not one single benefit to dumping corn on the ground that you can't get with a good food plot. Or just opening up some canopy to let sunlight hit the ground and grow whatever natural food plot would grow. That also turns into good fawning cover and turkey nest cover. And all the other negative effects that come from dumping corn on the ground do not apply to having a nice food plot. Just because the rocky land in the mountains of East TN aren't fit for food plots doesn't mean they should dump corn and pretend it doesn't come with a long list of negatives.

BigAl

I used to have a corn feeder in my backyard (5 acres) and ran it year around for wildlife viewing only. It really brought in the deer, mostly does and mostly at night. When CWD hit our area and the regs changed, I took the feeder down. With all the problems affecting deer in our area (CWD?), why would we want to legalize something that will make it worse.

I will say, most traffic i've seen on a deer hunting thread on TNDEER since they legalized crossbows.

TheLBLman

This is not any type "attack" on anyone, but rather just a curiosity on my behalf.

I've hunted over bait, where it was legal, and about the only effective method to see a deer in millions of acres of wilderness.
First, just curious as to where there is a million acres of wilderness that it's legal to kill deer over bait piles?

It didn't guarantee a damn thing.
If it didn't guarantee anything, how is it about "the only effective method to see a deer in millions of acres of wilderness"?

Packing corn into a "wilderness" area seems a ton of physical work?

ImThere

Or you need to learn to hunt? IDK?
Millions of acres? Cool fake story😂😂😂

Last edited:

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Sell a $10 baiting permit. Use the proceeds to fix the neglected WMA's.
Yes Mr. USFWS officer, that corn there is for the deer. No, I'm sorry, I can't help you understand why it's in the water in front of my duck blind. I put it out for deer, not ducks. I'll kill any duck I catch eating it though, just for you, to, you know, keep him from telling his free loading friends where to find it.....

I say this in jest, but surely we all see how this get get sideways in a hurry.

Latest posts