Baiting Bill HB1618/SB1942

Should baiting be allowed on private land?

• Yes

Votes: 147 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 178 46.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 57 14.9%

• Total voters

Ski

Where you put a foodplot were there wasn't one naturally ..hummm don't guess that's God given but man made , right ? Please most of the things I'll agree with but don't humor me with this type of God given stuff . Opening up the canopy isn't natural either ! My gosh will it not end to think of the things you dream up to bash those who want to bait/feed wildlife . There is no way most of you all's hunting property is natural as God intended so please stick with your other tactics which is scientific factual.

I challenge you to find one single example of me bashing you or anyone else. Quote it up. If you can make the accusation then you can post it up for all to see. Show me and everyone else where I have bashed someone for baiting.

All you've done this entire thread is play gotcha games and tried twisting others' words in attempt to make them look like hypocrites. I've done my best to explain and re explain my position to you every single time you've asked or misquoted me. And not once have I said anything foul or out of line to you. As I said, I'm ok agreeing to disagree. I don't hate you for your stance. I don't even dislike you for it. But I do not appreciate you trying to mischaracterize me or my words just because I see the topic differently than you.

Snake

I challenge you to find one single example of me bashing you or anyone else. Quote it up. If you can make the accusation then you can post it up for all to see. Show me and everyone else where I have bashed someone for baiting.

All you've done this entire thread is play gotcha games and tried twisting others' words in attempt to make them look like hypocrites. I've done my best to explain and re explain my position to you every single time you've asked or misquoted me. And not once have I said anything foul or out of line to you. As I said, I'm ok agreeing to disagree. I don't hate you for your stance. I don't even dislike you for it. But I do not appreciate you trying to mischaracterize me or my words just because I see the topic differently than you.
I'm not going to go back through all the posts and you wasn't the only one . Been called some unpleasant things and to be honest I threw one back . I tried to be civil even liked a couple of your posts . Check your # 486 post calling those who are different from your opinion ignorant and arrogant quote ! I'm not ignorant to this as I've been educated time and time again to this topic ...from you and others . Arrogant... well I guess you could say that's probably true.....as well as others. Now if I called you a name I apologize but don't think I did . I've told the reasons for my stance but they aren't good enough apparently so ok ! I can live without which I have or with it . From what I can gather the bill is dead so all of this is vain . If I mischarcterized your quotes it wasn't on purpose I don't think maybe I just don't understand. Well anyway if I did I apologize....best I can do . Wasn't my purpose to hurt anybody feelings . Just a discussion brother justba discussion. No enemies can't use them..

DoubleRidge

many pages past on this thread went from the "baiting" topic to way off into the weeds?

Count me among the guilty into turning this thread into one about religion & prostitution
LBLman...I'm not counting you as guilty.
I didn't take your comparision literally...I took it as you were just using the comparison to point out how being "legal" is not the same as being "ethical"....there are plenty of things that are legal which I dont consider ethical.
I completely understood that you were not saying prostitution and baiting are equal in any way.

Moving on to a more positive note...
in addition to LBL and Catoosa my understanding is that the impact area at Ft. Campbell is also considered a true grassland area....on our property we have a TVA powerline and soon we will have a new gasline (cumberland project) and we have negotiated with the manager over the project to plant the new gas line area in native warm season grasses and a pollenator blend. (We spelled out NO fescue) We have also reached out to the SEgrasslands Initiative group from APSU for some guidance and are looking forward to the project....also looking at other acreage on powerline that we can convert to native warm season grass and wildflowers.

Ski

I'm not going to go back through all the posts and you wasn't the only one . Been called some unpleasant things and to be honest I threw one back . I tried to be civil even liked a couple of your posts . Check your # 486 post calling those who are different from your opinion ignorant and arrogant quote ! I'm not ignorant to this as I've been educated time and time again to this topic ...from you and others . Arrogant... well I guess you could say that's probably true.....as well as others. Now if I called you a name I apologize but don't think I did . I've told the reasons for my stance but they aren't good enough apparently so ok ! I can live without which I have or with it . From what I can gather the bill is dead so all of this is vain . If I mischarcterized your quotes it wasn't on purpose I don't think maybe I just don't understand. Well anyway if I did I apologize....best I can do . Wasn't my purpose to hurt anybody feelings . Just a discussion brother justba discussion. No enemies can't use them..

Snake I called nobody names. Not one person. If you read my posts clearly as they were written you'll see I described the way God designed things and stated that we humans, including myself are ignorant or arrogant for thinking we can do it better. Please take the time to read what I actually say before taking offense and misquoting it.

Snake

IMO it's both ignorant and arrogant of man to believe he is benefitting deer or any wildlife by feeding them.

Now don't believe you included yourself or any anti- baiters just those feeding them... correct or atleast that's the way I took it.

Now this post in not directly related to the OP but maybe indirectly . This is not directed to you that are against baiting so don't get upset .

Well ..TWRA allows baiting / feeding wildlife including deer all year even through the hottest , humidest parts of the year but 10 days before the season for deer open it better be gone . Not one kernel not one grain near your bait/ feed station or you'll get a ticket if they catch you hunting near it. Now it's OK to hunt deer in a field of corn , beans turnips or what have you that you didn't harvest but left for the deer . Now you tell me that TWRA is concerned about bait being harmful for wildlife or they just don't want a hunter to shoot a deer over a bait/feed station ? Now one more if your so concerned about the wildlife then you anti-baiters need to start a petition about feeding wildlife in general and I'll sign it with you !! Now I'm using anti- baiters reasoning for this cause as I've been told it's not about shooting a deer over bait it's about what it does to the wildlife .

Last edited:

scn

IMO it's both ignorant and arrogant of man to believe he is benefitting deer or any wildlife by feeding them.

Now don't believe you included yourself or any anti- baiters just those feeding them... correct or atleast that's the way I took it.

Now this post in not directly related to the OP but maybe indirectly . This is not directed to you that are against baiting so don't get upset .

Well ..TWRA allows baiting / feeding wildlife including deer all year even through the hottest , humidest parts of the year but 10 days before the season for deer open it better be gone . Not one kernel not one grain near your bait/ feed station or you'll get a ticket if they catch you hunting near it. Now it's OK to hunt deer in a field of corn , beans turnips or what have you that you didn't harvest but left for the deer . Now you tell me that TWRA is concerned about bait being harmful for wildlife or they just don't want a hunter to shoot a deer over a bait/feed station ? Now one more if your so concerned about the wildlife then you anti-baiters need to start a petition about feeding wildlife in general and I'll sign it with you !! Now I'm using anti- baiters reasoning for this cause as I've been told it's not about shooting a deer over bait it's about what but does to the wildlife .
How does TWRA allow feeding when they have no regulation concerning it with the exception of lsnds they (the Commission) have control overs? And, on those lands they ban all feeding.

Continuing to spout that crap is disingenuous.

Last edited:

Snake

How does TWRA allow feeding when they have no regulation concerning it with the exception of lsnds they have control overs? And, on those lands they ban all feeding.

Continuing to spout that crap is disingenuous.
My bad . Get a petition to the powers who can stop it . Hummm this is a catch 22 of sorts . Forgive me but they have control over hunting regulations on my property , correct ? Guess I see the difference, thanks.

scn

My bad . Get a petition to the powers who can stop it . Hummm this is a catch 22 of sorts . Forgive me but they have control over hunting regulations on my property , correct ? Guess I see the difference, thanks.
Petitions do virtually nothing.

The only control TWRA has over hunting regulations on your property it ENFORCING regulations set by other bodies. TWRA has ZERO power to set ANY regulations.

Statutes are set by the State Legislature. Rules and Regulations and Proclamations are adopted by the Tennessee Fish and Wildlife Commission. TWRA has input into both bodies, but has zero say on what is passed.

Passing a Rule & Regulation or Proclamation on the feeding of wildlife on private lands is outside the scope of what the Commission can pass. That issue has been looked at multiple times by the staff attorney with input from the State AG. It would have to be done by statute by the Legislature. As I have previously posted, TWRA has had draft legislation language sitting there for MANY years that would strictly regulate the feeding of wildlife on all lands. And, they have been told annually by friends in the Legislature that could sponsor such legislation that it would not pass if introduced. And, furthermore, if it was introduced, the end result would likely be the legalization of baiting. So, it has sat there in the files.

There has been a state statute making illegal hunting over bait for over forty years. The legislature realized way back that hunting animals over bait gave the hunter an unfair advantage. Apparently there are legislators now that don't care about the unfair advantage and are trying to get that statute changed. I personally hope they are unsuccessful. I guess we will see in the coming weeks.

It is 100% incorrect to say that TWRA doesn't care about the feeding of wildlife.

Snake

I understand and said so in my previous post . It's just a real big misunderstanding on the whole baiting issue . Post # 15 stated by Pickett Hunter that baiting for hogs is legal 24/7/365 . Now why and who mandated this ? Not saying it's true I have no ideal.

If TWRA is deemed the protector of wildlife why can't they propose proof that ALL baiting is detrimental to certain species ? There is by some members posts plenty of factual proof !! Animals and fowl can feed at a hog baiting site as well as a site set-up to feed the deer , correct ? It just seems to me that most of the issues are that it's just not ethical to shoot a deer over a bait site !

I've been told it's not the issue of someone hunting over a bait / feed station but what the side-effects are of just having it there !! But in all fairness it must be because the other type baiting / feeding is still going on . Don't think turkeys and song birds know the difference .

I could be totally wrong on my stances because I've been told enough I am but it just don't seem the reasoning is where it should be . Now although I'm seeing my hunting career come to a close I'm really not an opponent of something that's going to help certain species become extinct . But if your against one issue that might cause extinction you should be against all that might .

If legislation sets these type of rules you can't tell me if enough stink is raised including TWRA plus thousands of Tennessee hunters (voters) that baiting / feeding sites can't be stopped !!! I with all that has been stated can't buy in that most aren't concerned with the other baiting/ feeding just the one that been brought up with this thread.

I've apologized for butt hurting about all I'm going to for just an opinion , good grief ....

Hunter79

I hear alot of talk about TWRA not having any control of and that they do not support even the feeding of wildlife.However after reading Snakes last post got me to thinking so I went and got my leases wild hog exemption paper down out of the closet and guess who's emblem is in the top right corner and who's name is right across the top.yep good ole TWRA . I will not list all of the exemptions that are allowed but just a couple I will mention are shooting over bait and shooting over bait during big game season.Note Area is subject to inspection by TWRA at anytime. That mentions them any awfully lot for them not to have anything to do with the feeding of wildlife that they supposedly do not support.just food for thought this morning.carry on fellows!;) and I almost forgot I'm sure someone is going to say this wasn't there decision it came from some secret legislative government society that the TWRA has no control over so we got that out a the way.Enjoy

TheLBLman

I hear alot of talk about TWRA not having any control of and that they do not support even the feeding of wildlife.
What you are missing is that TWRA controls hunting regs, not statewide wildlife "feeding" regs (until & unless "killing" comes into the equation).

TWRA has generally always been opposed to "feeding" wildlife, period.

But, a bird feeder 10 ft from one's house is "feeding" or "baiting" for wildlife viewing, not killing.

Non-hunters out-number hunters at least 3 to 1 even in TN.
It may be 20 to 1 in many democrat-controlled states.

Non-hunters control the TN state legislature,
which has empowered (long ago) TWRA to "regulate" hunting & game laws,
on both (most) public and private lands.

A key tenet of all this is understanding that the wildlife is deemed public property, wherever it freely roams. So even on private property, the wildlife is not "owned" by the property owner. However, wild game may be legally "killed" on any property so long as the shooter abides by the rules, mainly set by TWRA for what is called "hunting".

On certain "public" lands or WMAs, TWRA apparently has authority to make a blanket ruling of zero wildlife feeding, but they do not have that authority on private lands, until & unless "killing" that wildlife comes into the equation.

Last edited:

Hunter79

What you are missing is that TWRA controls hunting regs, not statewide wildlife "feeding" regs (until & unless "killing" comes into the equation).

But, a bird feeder 10 ft from one's house is "feeding" or "baiting" for wildlife viewing, not killing.

A key tenet of all this is understanding that the wildlife is deemed public property, wherever it freely roams. So even on private property, the wildlife is not "owned" by the property owner. However, wild game may be legally "killed" on any property so long as the shooter abides by the rules, mainly set by TWRA for what is called "hunting".

On certain "public" lands or WMAs, TWRA apparently has authority to make a blanket ruling of zero wildlife feeding, but they do not have that authority on private lands, until & unless "killing" that wildlife comes into the equation.
I'm not missing anything sir, I have the paper they (the TWRA) sent me allowing baiting year round for hogs. This is in black and white and not just an opinion of mine.

scn

I understand and said so in my previous post . It's just a real big misunderstanding on the whole baiting issue . Post # 15 stated by Pickett Hunter that baiting for hogs is legal 24/7/365 . Now why and who mandated this ? Not saying it's true I have no ideal.

If TWRA is deemed the protector of wildlife why can't they propose proof that ALL baiting is detrimental to certain species ? There is by some members posts plenty of factual proof !! Animals and fowl can feed at a hog baiting site as well as a site set-up to feed the deer , correct ? It just seems to me that most of the issues are that it's just not ethical to shoot a deer over a bait site !

I've been told it's not the issue of someone hunting over a bait / feed station but what the side-effects are of just having it there !! But in all fairness it must be because the other type baiting / feeding is still going on . Don't think turkeys and song birds know the difference .

I could be totally wrong on my stances because I've been told enough I am but it just don't seem the reasoning is where it should be . Now although I'm seeing my hunting career come to a close I'm really not an opponent of something that's going to help certain species become extinct . But if your against one issue that might cause extinction you should be against all that might .

If legislation sets these type of rules you can't tell me if enough stink is raised including TWRA plus thousands of Tennessee hunters (voters) that baiting / feeding sites can't be stopped !!! I with all that has been stated can't buy in that most aren't concerned with the other baiting/ feeding just the one that been brought up with this thread.

I've apologized for butt hurting about all I'm going to for just an opinion , good grief ....
Baiting for hogs is allowed because it is not considered hunting by TWRA. It is hog eradication. Unless something has changed, the hog eradication doesn't even require a hunting license since it is not hunting under TWRA regs.

Snake

Baiting for hogs is allowed because it is not considered hunting by TWRA. It is hog eradication. Unless something has changed, the hog eradication doesn't even require a hunting license since it is not hunting under TWRA regs.
But still the main narrative is that the bathing is detrimental to other wildlife come on..... that's all I've heard on this thread !!! If your main stance is just what I've said then stick with it and not condone TWRA just because you were employed by them !!

Snake

From what I've been told killing is happening not by hunters but by aflatoxin. What's the difference dead is dead ?

scn

But still the main narrative is that the bathing is detrimental to other wildlife come on..... that's all I've heard on this thread !!! If your main stance is just what I've said then stick with it and not condone TWRA just because you were employed by them !!
I'm not condoning anything-just trying to write some things in crayon so some folks might understand.

TWRA knows baiting is detrimental for other wildlife and would eliminate it if they had a say. The regulations dealing with the eradication of hogs is a major outlier. Hogs, IMO, are probably the second greatest threat to wildlife in the state with the CWD issue being the worst. The regs passed by the Commission were an attempt to slow down the spread after it became pretty apparent that some legislators were going to pass some laws that would have turned it into a total nightmare.

But, continue on with your rant.