Anemometer suggestions

Creek

I'm looking to purchase an anemometer, and I'm willing to spend up to $200 if quality is justified, but I prefer to stay under $100. I intend on documenting the wind direction and speed for at least one year, possibly two. This will not be hand-held but rather mounted in a specific area. Anyone have any first-hand experience and/or suggestions, and why?

Last edited:

BSK

That depends on whether you have wifi nearby. I HIGHLY recommend the Ambient weather stations. I have one close enough to my cabin to use the wifi, and I can see what's going on at the station over the internet. Plus, I can see every other Ambient station in the world (as long as it is connected to the internet). I've used several brands of home weather stations, and the Ambient has been the best.

I have this one and love it:

Creek

Thanks for the help @BSK . Most all units look like they are designed for professionals, which I am not.

I think I may have stepped in over my head with my question. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to electronics. I do know we have a strong phone signal at the property of concern and a strong signal where we currently live, which is an hour away. So I wanted an instrument that I could place on this subject property and that would retain the wind data, so I could then "easily" download a week or more of data from that instrument only to return home, review, and document it. The purpose of this device would be twofold. (1) We intend on building a house at this location within a year or two, and the main view from the house would be looking generally east-bound, and so any slight angle of the house to help compensate and block the northern wind, among other factors, would be very beneficial. (2) There are several sites where I would like to place a food plot within view of the house, and knowledge of the wind direction during the different seasons could help dictate where I would place that food plot. No offense to other hunters, but I'm getting old, and meat is relatively important. My doctor strongly recommends deer meat in my diet more than domestic. No doubt, the unit you suggested looks like a quality piece of equipment, but I can't find in the description where it retains data for any length of time, so I will check for wifi next time I visit this property, though Im not exactly sure how. It took me forever to figure out how to attach links in different ways on this site🤪 Anyway, my long term goal was to use the wind data to build a house, and then move the instrument further down in the holler to get accurate readings for a future plot. Im probably spinning my wheels for nothing, but I want to try just the same.

Would anyone place merit on the accuracy from this website(s)? and website(s)? I thought about using it, but I was also thinking there is nothing quite like getting the actual wind direction readings from near ground level for any particular site, idk.

Creek

I contacted and left messages for two relatively large brand names that offer an entry-level anemometer. Both companies' technical departments did return my calls, but they do not offer an anemometer that retains the memory of wind "direction." They do offer models that retain wind speed and other information that could be obtained at a later date but, for some reason, do not retain the memory of wind "direction," which was exactly what I was wanting. However, if you are fortunate enough to have wifi in your hunting spot, which I assume most don't, then you may have this potential advantage. It would be nice to have alternate entry trails to any particular spot, depending on which way the wind is blowing. Some good out of this for me is that I also learned some differences between wifi and a hotspot. Though I did not discuss the following with the manufacturers, I'm pretty sure you could use your phone as a hotspot and connect to some models of anemometers up to 300+ feet away, but again, I'm not totally certain that a phone hotspot would do that. Though I hit a dead end for my original intention, I wanted to update my findings should anyone search for anemometer results in the future, and for now I will continue my search.

Creek

Would something like this help? It has a forecast for wind, it lets you run 6 hours or so back to 8 or 9 days forward.
Thanks, I can use all the help I can get. I have several different sites I look at and have considered comparing to see which one is the most accurate after actually driving to this particular location. Over a period of time, I think I will be able to determine which is the most accurate for me. I was trying to avoid making too many trips.
Now you have given me another one to compare to, and these are just a few I will be using..
https://www.windfinder.com/#6/35.7019/-85.5615
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.0767&lon=-87.3771&lg=english&&FcstType=digital

Where I think I might run into an issue is that the actual valley, hills, and trees will cause the wind to possibly go in a different direction at ground level when compared to these sites, but I don't know for sure yet.

fairchaser

I use a kestrel as they are the best anemometer for shooting. I can download my particular load data and once I have the wind and direction and distance the correction for wind is calculated. This can also be used for the best for deer too. Although, all deer hunters should develop a sense for their approach and stand site based on current wind conditions without the need for any device.

Latest posts