Suggestions for your deer pics

fairchaser

A lot of hero shots are starting come in and some of them look pretty bad. This is your once in a lifetime moment and I know you want to share your pics with friends and family. Take a few extra minutes to get a great photo. Here are a few suggestions.
1. Try your best to show the deer in its best light. Cover up the GSW if possible.
2. Tuck it's tongue back in it's mouth.
3. Drag the deer away from the gut pile or other blood and hair.
4. Select a nice background that's natural.
5. No tailgate shots.
6. Clean the blood off it's mouth and nose.
7. Pay attention to the Sun. Get at a low angle to snap the picture.
8. Take lots of pictures; they don't cost a thing but you can't get the moment back.

I'm no photographer, so I'm open to more suggestions.

GOHUNT

I took this one yesterday of my son. Sometime you can't hide all the blood

Attachments

• A4CBE380-5E4A-4EAC-A4CE-B0CAB94E1D35.jpeg
    A4CBE380-5E4A-4EAC-A4CE-B0CAB94E1D35.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 297

RockMcL

Fairchaser,
Sincerely appreciate the advice & input. Some of my future pictures will benefit when I have conditions to take time to make them "cleaner".

Personally I have found the ones in my family that are sensitive about the looks of blood on a dead deer are offended by just the dead deer.

This morning I heard a shot 15 minutes after a text "in west stand". Within a minute got a text "dead buck" on the extended family text channel. If the deer was not observed going down the text would have been a picture of first blood. Those who want more details & pics get them.

Only thing I will add is that I recommend a picture of where you found it, how you found it.

In my family if a picture was circulated with an cleaned up, ungutted deer especially in the sun or known warm weather, that would be considered an inappropriate photo.

Honor the meat...

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

A lot of hero shots are starting come in and some of them look pretty bad. This is your once in a lifetime moment and I know you want to share your pics with friends and family. Take a few extra minutes to get a great photo. Here are a few suggestions.
1. Try your best to show the deer in its best light. Cover up the GSW if possible.
5. No tailgate shots.
8. Take lots of pictures; they don't cost a thing but you can't get the moment ba

My goodness....who knew a list of suggestions on how to take a good picture would stir so much emotion?

For the tongue sometimes we will pull it out and cut it off while in the field.
For the background...don't get directly behind the rack with camo on... sometimes the antlers will wash out and not show up good....when possible the sky makes a great background....and next time you are the person taking the picture try getting down on the ground real low (laying on your stomach) and take a few pictures and then compare those pictures to the ones you take while standing up...the lower angle looks better.
Also agree with the suggestion to take allot of pictures...and take them from different angles...then pick the best ones....your collecting memories.

So for me it has nothing to do with worrying about offending someone....I don't share deer pics with those who may be offended? It has more to do with getting a good picture of a special moment...I appreciate good pictures.

Ski

Great suggestions! I can't say I'll follow them all, but I also can't say I can argue with any of them. A little thought in how the picture is taken can make a lot of difference in how it's perceived and how the hunt is remembered. Might not make much difference to some folks, but to some of it does. So thank you for the suggestions.

Jon54

Get the free app Snapseed. It's free, and easy to learn. I ise the following steps
1) auto adjust
2) auto white balance
3) rotate if pic is crooked
4) crop photo as needed
5) use HDR, but carefully as it will create abnormal pics
6) add text if you want to remember date and place

Outdoor Enthusiast

5. No tailgate shots.
8. Take lots of pictures; they don't cost a thing but you can't get the moment back.

I agree. Good advice. Over the years I have grown to appreciate photos on here that are done in a certain way, and I have tried to do the same with my own. It certainly makes a difference.

I would add that having the antlers against a solid background color is important too. If the background is the hunters camo, grass field, or woods the antlers really blend in and it's hard to see the rack.

rem270

I either put the tongue back in or cut it off before pics and like taking good pics. I don't like to show a lot of blood but I'm not going to pressure wash and dry it off and wipe his nose clean if there's a little blood.

The most pics I always laugh at is the ones that skyline their deer and long arm it or sit 10' behind it trying to make it look 50" bigger than it is. That always cracks me up.

Last edited:

Latest posts