Suggestions for your deer pics

CBU93

A lot of hero shots are starting come in and some of them look pretty bad. This is your once in a lifetime moment and I know you want to share your pics with friends and family. Take a few extra minutes to get a great photo. Here are a few suggestions.
1. Try your best to show the deer in its best light. Cover up the GSW if possible.
2. Tuck it's tongue back in it's mouth.
3. Drag the deer away from the gut pile or other blood and hair.
4. Select a nice background that's natural.
5. No tailgate shots.
6. Clean the blood off it's mouth and nose.
7. Pay attention to the Sun. Get at a low angle to snap the picture.
8. Take lots of pictures; they don't cost a thing but you can't get the moment back.

I'm no photographer, so I'm open to more suggestions.
Absolutely agree with all of this. I would also suggest if possible, learn to use a self timer on your camera or phone cam…no one has ever taken a decent kill pic of me other than me.

gasman

Will this work for you boss?

Attachments

• 7FAC912B-8873-4249-AE8F-48F019EBC67F.jpeg
    7FAC912B-8873-4249-AE8F-48F019EBC67F.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 118

Ski

The most pics I always laugh at is the ones that skyline their deer and long arm it or sit 10' behind it trying to make it look 50" bigger than it is. That always cracks me up.

Eh, I see it a little differently. Anybody who's been around deer can reference the rack size by looking at the head. Ears, eyes, and nose are the tellers. So when I see a long arm from behind, I just assume the hunter is showcasing the animal, not themselves. I've never seen it as trying to fool anybody, especially other hunters.

JJ3

A lot of hero shots are starting come in and some of them look pretty bad. This is your once in a lifetime moment and I know you want to share your pics with friends and family. Take a few extra minutes to get a great photo. Here are a few suggestions.
1. Try your best to show the deer in its best light. Cover up the GSW if possible.
2. Tuck it's tongue back in it's mouth.
3. Drag the deer away from the gut pile or other blood and hair.
4. Select a nice background that's natural.
5. No tailgate shots.
6. Clean the blood off it's mouth and nose.
7. Pay attention to the Sun. Get at a low angle to snap the picture.
8. Take lots of pictures; they don't cost a thing but you can't get the moment back.

I'm no photographer, so I'm open to more suggestions.
I'm with you Fairchaser on almost all these. Especially putting the tongue back in the mouth and wiping off the blood/saliva/dirt from mouth and nose. I want to get the picture as close to the point of harvest as possible — I may move them a bit to get away from blood pools or obstacles like logs and stick. I also like for the hunter to still be in gear — orange vest, etc.

I keep a camera in the car during hunting season just for this purpose. Sometimes have to take my own picture using the self timer and propping the camera on the 4-wheeler.

We don't mount every buck or doe that we harvest but pictures will last as the long as the digital technology doesn't change or a nice print looks good on the wall. I am ll about getting a good picture!

chris1976

If you would have suggested all that pc crap to our granddaddy's they would have give you a wedgie. Wish everyone wasn't so sensitive these days.

Ski

If you would have suggested all that pc crap to our granddaddy's they would have give you a wedgie. Wish everyone wasn't so sensitive these days.

Does everything have to be an us vs them issue? Can a hunter simply offer advice to other hunters about how to have better looking pictures? Pics last a lifetime and are shared. I know for sure I have old pictures that I wish I had taken more time and care in taking. It's nothing about sensitivity or political correctness. It's about better preserving a moment of significance.

RockMcL

20221123_194842.jpg

I know the casing ends weren't trimmed...
One way to get my family to visit is post deer sticks especially or even the freezer rack full of neatly stacked vacuum bags.

Linepaw

Does everything have to be an us vs them issue? Can a hunter simply offer advice to other hunters about how to have better looking pictures? Pics last a lifetime and are shared. I know for sure I have old pictures that I wish I had taken more time and care in taking. It's nothing about sensitivity or political correctness. It's about better preserving a moment of significance.
Amen!

Volbuck777

I've done it both ways, and while some prefer the pretty way, I could care less. Out of these two pictures I don't know which one I prefer, because one is as memorable as the other. The little 8 was my first Catoosa deer, that was hard earned. The other was a 125 inch 10 that is my biggest muzzleloader buck. It's not about how big, or how pretty, or who likes what. It's the memory of my hunt. .02

Attachments

• 53E6592C-A86B-435A-9F5E-0519C904A68D.jpeg
    53E6592C-A86B-435A-9F5E-0519C904A68D.jpeg
    621.2 KB · Views: 106
  • A8D3EFFC-D363-4416-8498-1605B5A6F93D.jpeg
    A8D3EFFC-D363-4416-8498-1605B5A6F93D.jpeg
    477.4 KB · Views: 102

fairchaser

I agree. Good advice. Over the years I have grown to appreciate photos on here that are done in a certain way, and I have tried to do the same with my own. It certainly makes a difference.

I would add that having the antlers against a solid background color is important too. If the background is the hunters camo, grass field, or woods the antlers really blend in and it's hard to see the rack.
Agree with the background part for sure. If the hunter can peel down to a solid black shirt like under armor, the antlers really standout.

Latest posts