Shootin House Suggestions

BamaHudson

One of the best shooting houses I've sat in had the whole interior lined with carpet. Worked great as insulation but also worked as soundproofing. Kept from amplifying any noises. The house was well built with secure closable windows so there wasn't a concern for water getting in. Definitely something I'll consider if I build one in the future. Any cheap carpet will do.

FTG-05

One of the best shooting houses I've sat in had the whole interior lined with carpet. Worked great as insulation but also worked as soundproofing. Kept from amplifying any noises. The house was well built with secure closable windows so there wasn't a concern for water getting in. Definitely something I'll consider if I build one in the future. Any cheap carpet will do.
My wife gets me 2nd hand carpets from the local thrift stores. I put them in all my shooting houses. Office chairs as well. It's nothing to find a decent office chair for less than $10 at some thrift stores. It would look like crap in any house or office, but perfect for a shooting house.

tellico4x4

Carpet on lower walls is great. However in my experience it'll make a plywood floor rot quicker due to moisture. Years ago made the move to using decking boards for floor. Due to the gaps after shrinking, haven't had any problem with putting carpet over them. Have thought about trying the PVC boards that I see on marketplace. Believe there's a guy in Waynesboro that sells seconds.

harv418

I built mine 4x5 based on a crate bottom from an international shipment (already weather and bug proof). Used 2x2 construction, 5/8's plywood. I did removable windows based on a routed channel on the sides and bottoms, with plexiglass windows. Used camo burlap in front of the windows. Build in a heater box in the front that fit a Heater Buddy, and used a 6 foot vent pipe out the top. I had 5 windows. 2 front, 1 each side, and one back. Used horse stall matting for the flooring. Painted the entire upper half of the interior BLACK. 2x6 shooting shelf on the front. Bino hangers on each front corner. Used driver side mirror from an old ford of the left of the stand to see behind me. I set that stand 7 foot off the ground on 4x6 timbers. 4x5 was tight with two adults, but livable. overhung the roof by 6 inches on all sides.

Another hunter on our lease built a 8 foot by 8 foot octagon. That was a great shoot house, especially considering it was 14 foot in the air. His son used a 14 foot tall stand build of plastic Sign material, and had a funnel connected to a garden hose that ran into a hole in the ground under the stand...

Last edited:

G@TOR

Step up you game!
can-am.PNG

BigAl

Not sure what materials you are using, but you need to consider weight and the ability to get it to your site, standing it up (if elevated), etc.
Some folks make them where they can be disassembled, transported, and then re-assembled onsite. A tractor was a big help in my builds.

FTG-05

Not sure what materials you are using, but you need to consider weight and the ability to get it to your site, standing it up (if elevated), etc.
Some folks make them where they can be disassembled, transported, and then re-assembled onsite. A tractor was a big help in my builds.
I build mine in my shop, then transport and set them with tractor and forks.

I had to ask my neighbor with his 95 hp Kubota to help set my Taj Mahal; it was waaaay too heavy for my tractor.

bSyskor.jpg

I was able to move my Pole Barn shooting house; same size but much lighter:
vzRWhpp.jpg

Tq8wPyW.jpg

EpthIx0.jpg

BSK

For anyone that hasn't seen it, a video on how to stand up a shooting house that is built laying on its side. You won't need this many people, but this was our first attempt and didn't really know what to expect, so we had a crew.

Attachments

• Towers3.mp4
    74.4 MB

BigAl

For anyone that hasn't seen it, a video on how to stand up a shooting house that is built laying on its side. You won't need this many people, but this was our first attempt and didn't really know what to expect, so we had a crew.
That's similar to the way I did mine but used a tractor for the pulling. Didn't use the ladder technique, but of course, I was by myself when I did mine.

dr

I have a 4x8 and 4x6
The smaller is kind of cramped even for one person. The 4x8 allows you to hunt 2 adults. Ill never have another smaller than 4x8. I bought the elevator metal brackets that you put 4x4 treated posts in to support it.

Latest posts