Shootin House Suggestions

Specializedjon

I'm going to embark on building a shooting house. I've got a lot of "extra material" from work that will cut the cost to almost zero. I just don't know what size. Kicking around a 4'x6' so I can hunt with the kids. YouTube is all over the map with suggestions and opinions. I'd like to hear what y'all think. I'm making out of metal studs to cut down on weight and it'll be about 8' in the air, at least that's the plan currently on a napkin.

rem270

We started out with 5x5's and have 2 up currently. We went to making 4x6 6 or 7 years ago and have 4 of those up and I like those better to be closer to the front window and easier to have another person in there. With small chairs you can easily hunt 1 adult and 2 kids. 3 adults would be tight but doable.

Omega

I started with an 8x8, just to keep the cutting simple, it was much too big for one person, but I managed. When I rebuilt, I went 6x6 and feel it is just right, I've had two in it and it was not crowded at all, even with a large footlocker in it. I modified some plans I found on the net, and I feel it came out great. The only thing I would change is that I would get glass for the windows, while my plexiglass, and acrylic work great, they tend to be hard to get moisture off of them easily due to the flex.

BSK

We are using the 4x6 Sportman's condos. They are perfect for an adult and a youth, but would be too cramped for two full-sized adults. I've used 6x6 shooting houses, but found - when hunting alone - that I had to keep rolling the chair back and forth to see down out of the windows. For two adults, 6x6 would be perfect.

DoubleRidge

5x5 are the ones we've built and it's perfect with a swivel office chair.....next ones we add will most likely be 4x6 sportsman condo....also we've added loft style steps verses a ladder...steps are very nice when carrying gear....and shooting houses are really nice on those wet and windy days.

Quailman

We have two 6x6 shooting houses and one 4x8 shooting house (originally 4x4 but added another section). I would recommend going with a 6x6 house, and that's what I'll build again when the time comes. The problem with my house that is 4 foot in depth is that I can't easily draw a bow if needed because there's not enough clearance with the front wall and my elbow actually sticks out of the back window. 6x6 handles that problem.

I will say that the 4x8 provides a lot of room to move around! We even have a small table setup in that one for drinks, binos, etc.

Good luck!

Hduke86

I build 4x8 just so it's less cutting. I even put 4x8 plywood horizontally for the wall and just overlap the top piece to get the standing height of the wall I want and it keeps water out from the overlap. One good thing to do is have your roof overhang a 1' or 1 1/2' on all sides.

JCDEERMAN

We use truck bed liners. After these pics were taken, we put in plexiglass windows on hinges and a locking latch.

D893833E-9785-4B01-9379-C949415CCA5E.jpeg
4D7781D0-FEA0-4BF2-85C4-1058BE0B4BBB.jpeg
18A5A163-B6CD-4BDA-90B4-85EECA9F0736.jpeg
4C53062C-CF50-4B08-9F49-DD03507C7FBF.jpeg

backyardtndeer

Watching this thread. Planning on building one myself but wanting to build a shelf in front of the main viewing windows for sandbags. Anyone got recommendations on size with that in mind.
I just used 2x6 sideways on the bottoms of the windows for rests/shelf, worked well for my kids and wife. Probably could use 2x8 to get a little more area on the shelf.

BSK

Watching this thread. Planning on building one myself but wanting to build a shelf in front of the main viewing windows for sandbags. Anyone got recommendations on size with that in mind.
6x6. We put 1"x8" boards as shelves along the windows in our 6'x6' houses and that noticeably shrinks the interior movement room.

DeerCamp

I'm going to embark on building a shooting house. I've got a lot of "extra material" from work that will cut the cost to almost zero. I just don't know what size. Kicking around a 4'x6' so I can hunt with the kids. YouTube is all over the map with suggestions and opinions. I'd like to hear what y'all think. I'm making out of metal studs to cut down on weight and it'll be about 8' in the air, at least that's the plan currently on a napkin.
I can't recommend a size too much, but I can highly recommend building it five sided. Everyone who has sat in the one I built love that feature.

I guess I wouldn't go wider than 6' wide. It makes it too hard to hunt both sides. We built a 4x8 at another farm and it's a problem.

Latest posts