Suggestions on how to keep a kid in one spot

Tenntrapper

Let me say this... I have a 13 yr old son with Down Syndrome. From early on, I wanted him to hunt with me. Nothing would have made me more proud than for him to get a deer. As time went along, I've realized that isn't likely going to happen. Maybe something changes down the road and it does, but not as things are now. I had to realize the what I was wanting was for me...he couldn't care less.
Why should I make him miserable just so I can brag about it. To me, that's all the wrong reason to be doing this.

Dumbluck

I think your missing the point, this is his goal not mine. I'm just doing everything I possibly can to help make it happen including coming here to get suggestions.

I am hoping he can in some way get back into shooting a rifle, or shotgun, in some way and I believe the deer hunting will help. We did get him a new pellet gun to shoot squirrel with. The kid did just witness his school shot to hell so I could careless if ever picks up another gun. But it would be nice to be able to go on family duck hunts and dove hunts like we once did with him there. He enjoyed every second of but now can't tolerate the sound of a gun.

fairchaser

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Granddad and grandson are working on having fun and their relationship. Killing a big buck is secondary. Most of us really underestimate the seriousness it takes to consistently harvest mature bucks. But that's ok! We are out there to have fun.

You could designate certain areas as off limits period. Save those areas for the serious hunting. If they want to drive around the other areas, fine. It may even help the more serious areas.

scn

I suspect that it won't matter at all, but you might tell him/ them that driving around on the sxs hunting deer is illegal.

The rule change to allow hunting from one that is stationary was to basically allow it to be used as a blind. It did not change the reg on hunting from a motorized vehicle. And, under the definition of hunting, it is pretty obvious that they are in violation with what they are doing.

Dumbluck

I suspect that it won't matter at all, but you might tell him/ them that driving around on the sxs hunting deer is illegal.

The rule change to allow hunting from one that is stationary was to basically allow it to be used as a blind. It did not change the reg on hunting from a motorized vehicle. And, under the definition of hunting, it is pretty obvious that they are in violation with what they are doing.
Thank you for weighing in and stating that. I have tried to tell my father this, and he keeps arguing that it's not on private land.

Much appreciated

Tenntrapper

I started to mention that, but wasn't sure exactly what the law was now. Thanks

Dumbluck

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Granddad and grandson are working on having fun and their relationship. Killing a big buck is secondary. Most of us really underestimate the seriousness it takes to consistently harvest mature bucks. But that's ok! We are out there to have fun.

You could designate certain areas as off limits period. Save those areas for the serious hunting. If they want to drive around the other areas, fine. It may even help the more serious areas.
Thanks I do see that big picture and I'm all for it, but if it takes them leaving the woods early then that's what they need to do. Not drive around.

I had a conversation with my father about making one area strictly off limits because I had the only deer I would consider a shooter bedding in that location. He agreed and then at 4:40 pm he drove right through there and triggered a camera I had moved. 🤦‍♂️

Tenntrapper

I think your missing the point, this is his goal not mine. I'm just doing everything I possibly can to help make it happen including coming here to get suggestions.

I am hoping he can in some way get back into shooting a rifle, or shotgun, in some way and I believe the deer hunting will help. We did get him a new pellet gun to shoot squirrel with. The kid did just witness his school shot to hell so I could careless if ever picks up another gun. But it would be nice to be able to go on family duck hunts and dove hunts like we once did with him there. He enjoyed every second of but now can't tolerate the sound of a gun.
Well I will freely admit that I might have missed the point, but maybe you have also missed my point.
If no one is going to go through the motions of making him a hunter, and a deer on the wall is all that's important....just shoot one, and say he did it. That's what a lot of these parents do on the juvi hunts. No one but you...and him, will know the difference. That way... everyone gets their trophy...even if they didn't earn it.

After re-reading that, it sounds a little snarky...but I don't mean it that way...honest.
As I originally said....it's a sore spot for me.
Don't take it personally.

Dumbluck

Well I will freely admit that I might have missed the point, but maybe you have also missed my point.
If no one is going to go through the motions of making him a hunter, and a deer on the wall is all that's important....just shoot one, and say he did it. That's what a lot of these parents do on the juvi hunts. No one but you...and him, will know the difference. That way... everyone gets their trophy...even if they didn't earn it.

After re-reading that, it sounds a little snarky...but I don't mean it that way...honest.
As I originally said....it's a sore spot for me.
Don't take it personally.
I got ya, and I agree. I think the only thing that will help ultimately is me taking him more and actually teaching him stuff. He loves to learn and soaks it up. The only negative side to that is I'm pulling hunting time away from his grand dad, which brings me into conflicting emotions.

I appreciate your input and I take everyone's input seriously on this matter. I try to weigh it all in, that's why I'm here.

Tn_Va_Hunter

Personally with all that he's been through I'd let dictate the process. Maybe it brings him comfort by moving around. I agree maybe still hunting a few times would help out.
Each kid has a different maturity level. My son started asking to go hunting with me at 3. On those days I'd take him to a place I have permission to hunt that has a barn. We'd sit in the hay loft. He could move around and not have to sit so still. He's now 11 and honestly is a very good hunter. He's killed 12 deer thus far and one of those being a 148 inch 10 point. But I still have the rule of letting him shoot what makes him happy and leaving when he's tired. If I make him set it out he gets more fidgety.
I think it's great you're trying to help him out and teach him the art of deer hunting. Just enjoy the time spent with him and your father.

Tenntrapper

I got ya, and I agree. I think the only thing that will help ultimately is me taking him more and actually teaching him stuff. He loves to learn and soaks it up. The only negative side to that is I'm pulling hunting time away from his grand dad, which brings me into conflicting emotions.

I appreciate your input and I take everyone's input seriously on this matter. I try to weigh it all in, that's why I'm here.
Any chance you could take him to a new place...maybe even public land? That way, you could learn that property together. Teach him what terrain, sign, etc, to look for. How to set up accordingly.

Just keep going back to that old saying...about giving a man a fish...

Dumbluck

Personally with all been through I'd let dictate the process. Maybe it brings him comfort by moving around. I agree maybe still hunting a few times would help out.
Each kid has a different maturity level. My son started asking to go hunting with me at 3. On those days I'd take him to a place I have permission to hunt that has a barn. We'd sit in the hay loft. He could move around and not have to sit so still. He's now 11 and honestly is a very good hunter. He's killed 12 deer thus far and one of those being a 148 inch 10 point. But I still have the rule of letting him shoot what makes him happy and leaving when he's tired. If I make him set it out he gets more fidgety.
I think it's great you're trying to help him out and teach him the art of deer hunting. Just enjoy the time spent with him and your father.
Hey that's a great idea. I almost completely forgot about the old barn I have on this place and I've got a big deer bedding right near it. That will be another blind we can use with him; I will have to decoy that deer in but it probably would work he's an aggressive buck.

I feel like a moron for not thinking of that lol

Madbowh

I'm sure all of you have struggled with this when taking a kid hunting;
When my daughter was younger I tried all kinds of things. I would let her mess with my phone usually would text my wife or sister nonsense the whole sit, lots of snacks, try to talk quietly, constantly telling her oh look there's one don't move lol so many other of the wall things, anything quiet with little movement. Think we thumb wrestled for 3 hours one day. I try to keep the young one sits shorter, better places, better patterned deer, only took her at times where I thought sightings or possible shot opportunities were higher. One place we used to go was pretty routine between 8-1030 they'd be coming by our stand, so that's when we would sit.

At the end of each hunt it seemed to never matter if we didn't even see a squirrel.

Dumbluck

Any chance you could take him to a new place...maybe even public land? That way, you could learn that property together. Teach him what terrain, sign, etc, to look for. How to set up accordingly.

Just keep going back to that old saying...about giving a man a fish...
I think I can do that with him on this land there are plenty of pockets he has never explored. I have been teaching him some still hunting, I'm actually really good at it most of my deer I have killed have been still hunting on the ground and is also the same reason I only saddle hunt. I typically hunt my way in scouting and hunt my best sign.

Tn_Va_Hunter

Hey that's a great idea. I almost completely forgot about the old barn I have on this place and I've got a big deer bedding right near it. That will be another blind we can use with him; I will have to decoy that deer in but it probably would work he's an aggressive buck.

I feel like a moron for not thinking of that lol
We'd even stack a couple bales of hay in the opening to make a "blind". Then we stacked a couple up to make a seat and back rest. This is also how we both figured out our allergies would kick in around the hay lol.

My daughter started going last year (7) and finally killed her first deer this year (8yo).

I try to just let them have fun. If they move or talk a little louder it's ok. We are making memories. It won't last long. They are only little once.

Latest posts