Tree stand backpack suggestions

killingtime 41

The warmer times during archery. I tend to not need as much of course. But soon as the temps drop. A normal fall and winter it's cold sometimes bitter cold. So I carry a back pack for mostly warm stuff of all kinds just in case.Nothing will ruin a hunt for me faster than being cold to the bone. Knowing I've got warm gear in the truck. That might be extra under gear or boot covers or thicker gloves. Need to change socks they got sweaty and my feet are freezing. And everything in between. Not to mention thermos of hot coffee. Not to mention food. Now this is usually needed for an all day sit. I would love to lighten my load. So I'm listening and gathering ideas.

TheLBLman

Maybe not mentioned previously, although I usually just have a large fanny pack (rather than a multi-pocketed vest), when it's colder, I'm simply strapping items like a heavy parka & bibs to the stand I'm packing. The stand itself somewhat serves as a pack frame.

If I decide to leave the stand, walking out, I often wear some of the heavier clothing I had packed in. Usually, am a little on the cold side when starting to walk out, so it's not as much issue coming out as it was going in. I might strap the bibs onto the fanny pack, but wear the parka (main zipper unzipped along with the ventilation openings unzipped).

DeerMan66

I gave up on the backpack years ago and opted for a vest with large pockets. It's too much weight to hang the backpack from the stand. I can get everything I need for a day's sit in my vest including a thermos. I don't have to dig for stuff that ends up at the bottom of the pack either. I know what's in each pocket and can get to it easily. Ymmv.
What he said.

A good orange vest with lots of pockets is hard to find. I had the same one for over 20 years. I found a new one a couple years ago and I was as happy as a kid with a new bike. It can be better organized than a backpack and one less thing to carry.

DeerMan66

What he said.

A good orange vest with lots of pockets is hard to find. I had the same one for over 20 years. I found a new one a couple years ago and I was as happy as a kid with a new bike. It can be better organized than a backpack and one less thing to carry.
Here is the link to Primos vest that I use.

Amazon product ASIN B002QG3DAA
1674618734795.png

DeerMan66

The Primos vest has mesh pockets on the inside on both sides, hand warmer pockets and straps on the back to pack clothes. It also has an orange flap to cover what you are packing.

DMD

I carry the majority of my clothes in during cold weather. With the back pack I recommended, I can strap them on the outside. I tried the vest route, but I didn't like the bulky feel of everything on me. It hurt my shoulders and neck having the extra weight pressing on my shoulders all day. I strap the backpack with extra clothes on the back of my stand. My stand has padded shoulder straps and, most importantly, kidney belt. I put stand on the tree, tie my gun to pull rope and put backpack on my back while climbing. I have an alligator strap with two hooks I took off of an old ratchet strap. I run that around the tree, cinch it quietly and hang my backpack on it. Pull my gun up and I'm ready to hunt. Once I cool down, I start quietly putting on my heavier clothes. I've got it down to an art! LOL!

TheLBLman

Once I cool down, I start quietly putting on my heavier clothes. I've got it down to an art!
Similar here.
I usually put on any pants or bibs before I start climbing, while the upper body clothing is layered on after I'm sitting "on stand" and as I cool down from the walk & climbing.

And again, I do not understand those who imply using a climbing stand is so physically hard they're inclined to give it up as they age. There is a bit of an "art" in learning to attached & climb quietly, maybe a bit of an "art" in learning to do it easily without much exertion. But it's much easier and much safer than placing a ladder stand, and typically shouldn't require much more physical exertion than simply climbing a ladder stand (just takes a little longer).

As to any "noise" from climbing, once you learn to use a climber quietly, there is much less risk of spooking a deer from a climbing stand than from climbing a metal ladder stand. As to any nearby deer hearing me climb with a climber, they are typically no more concerned than from hearing a racoon climbing, which are natural sounds they hear nightly. By contrast, when a metal ladder stand lets off that loud metal "pop", you're busted.

jb3

I have a Basspro Redhead backpack that I've used for about 8-10 years. Carries everything I need that an expensive pack would carry. I'm not huge on having things in my pocket. It has a place for my car keys and wallet. Headlamp in another compartment. Maybe some ammo. Etc....

DMD

Similar here.
I usually put on any pants or bibs before I start climbing, while the upper body clothing is layered on after I'm sitting "on stand" and as I cool down from the walk & climbing.

And again, I do not understand those who imply using a climbing stand is so physically hard they're inclined to give it up as they age. There is a bit of an "art" in learning to attached & climb quietly, maybe a bit of an "art" in learning to do it easily without much exertion. But it's much easier and much safer than placing a ladder stand, and typically shouldn't require much more physical exertion than simply climbing a ladder stand (just takes a little longer).

As to any "noise" from climbing, once you learn to use a climber quietly, there is much less risk of spooking a deer from a climbing stand than from climbing a metal ladder stand. As to any nearby deer hearing me climb with a climber, they are typically no more concerned than from hearing a racoon climbing, which are natural sounds they hear nightly. By contrast, when a metal ladder stand lets off that loud metal "pop", you're busted.
I agree.

tellico4x4

While I often use the same vest that Fairchaser recommended, I've been gravitating to " less is more" this past year. My Alaskan binos case holds everything that I need for morning and afternoon hunts of 4-5 hours in duration. Granted all my stands are pre hung before season opens, so it really doesn't take much for me to be comfortable in them. For western hunts I use a 2200 ci Badlands day pack, as I've unexpectedly had to spend the night in the boonies a time or two.

tellico4x4

Similar here.

Hate a climber with a passion anymore and I started out with them prior to Bakers. Bet I've be given away a dozen in past 10 years, all the best name brands. Millennium lock on's or Rivers Edge ladders for me, both totally silent.

TheLBLman

Millennium lock on's or Rivers Edge ladders for me, both totally silent.
Agree about the Millennium lock-ons, and sometimes use them.
Never tried the Rivers Edge ladders, but have yet to find a metal ladder stand, including the Milleniums, that doesn't sometime make deer-spooking metallic pop, especially on some of the best cold, clear mornings.

Yes, climbers are a bit more time-consumptive to utilize each time, but what's a few more minutes to a day's hunt? I allow an extra 15 minutes, meaning get up, get going 15 minutes sooner, may get back 15 minutes later (only 5 later if leave the climber).

DMD

Agree about the Millennium lock-ons, and sometimes use them.
Never tried the Rivers Edge ladders, but have yet to find a metal ladder stand, including the Milleniums, that doesn't sometime make deer-spooking metallic pop, especially on some of the best cold, clear mornings.

Yes, climbers are a bit more time-consumptive to utilize each time, but what's a few more minutes to a day's hunt? I allow an extra 15 minutes, meaning get up, get going 15 minutes sooner, may get back 15 minutes later (only 5 later if leave the climber).
I can put my climber on the tree and be up in position in probably 5-10 minutes, tops. Especially if it's a tree I've already climbed before. I do love the convenience of a ladder stand, but I love being mobile, I love hunting at higher heights, I love the comfort of a climber, and I love being able to turn the stand around on the tree if I need to modify my position. I'd be hard pressed to ever give up my climber. I also feel safer climbing in it than I do a ladder stand. I've completely surrounded in my climber all the way up the tree and tethered to the tree. But, I understand, everyone is different. I get it completely.

TheLBLman

I can put my climber on the tree and be up in position in probably 5-10 minutes, tops.
I'd say typically more like 10-15 minutes for me.

I seldom go less than 22 feet high, ideally I typically prefer @ 24 ft.
Just not possible with all trees.

Another of my "issues" with ladder stands is they're just not high enough.

There is generally something magical about getting @ 24 ft (or higher) in that no matter how the wind blows, your scent generally just blows over them high enough they're not concerned, and if they're far enough away to catch it, it seems to be more diluted than when you're closer to the ground. This is hugely different than when I've been only 16 ft high or less in a ladder stand, where many downwind deer are going to be spooked when they hit your scent.

Another reason that height is such a big deal is because I still can accurately predict the wind's direction in advance no more than maybe 25% of the time. Plus, the wind is generally constantly swirling, changing directions, no matter the prevailing direction. Even more true the closer one is to ground level.

IMO, perhaps the very best way to ruin a good spot, just generally speaking, is to place a ladder stand there.

SinningSaint33

Anybody here got an Eberlestock Bandit? Can't decide between that or the X2. X2 seems better to pack in my climbing sticks but I'm thinking about getting rid of them and going to 2 tethers. Would be nice do ditch the weight of the sticks

infoman jr.

I know a couple guys that use the Badlands Treestand Day Pack and really like it. I'm probably going to pick one up myself. There's a video review on YouTube that shows all the features.
I've used that pack for about 8 years now, but I don't use the fold-out panel much. I'd like a big grab panel on the outside to hold insulated layers. That's my only complaint.

Latest posts