28 Gauge Turkey Gun!

Roost 1

with the right choke and load, you can expect 20ga performance out of a 28ga.
I love mine and it's really crazy how good they shoot.

Attachments

• 48E8DA58-1FEF-4D19-9FF8-EBE89A01729E.jpeg
    48E8DA58-1FEF-4D19-9FF8-EBE89A01729E.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 85

mike52

The pattern and lethality will be there at 50 yards.
Just for reference, I have 410s set up for turkey with TSS #9 (most shoot 9.5 or 10 shot) And they will pattern at 40 yards as good as any 12 gauge 3 inch #4 lead that I shot for so many years.
I have a Charles Daiy in 410 and it is a turkey killer

TheLBLman

1 ounce of TSS #9s, in the right gun/choke combination (regardless of gauge), will kill further than most of us should be shooting. Not advocating it, just being truthful.
True.
But keep in mind with these smaller gauges also comes a little smaller overall pattern, and the super-tight "turkey" choke patterns almost necessitate some very good sights. For me, those sights must be optical.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
True.
But keep in mind with these smaller gauges also comes a little smaller overall pattern, and the super-tight "turkey" choke patterns almost necessitate some very good sights. For me, those sights must be optical.
Thats true. When I compare Tss vs lead i look at what my best 12 gauge loads looked like and my 410 with #9 is as deadly as any #4 lead i ever shot out of a 12 gauge. In most cases it patterns better than most the 12 gauge loads i used to shoot.
This picture is with a little new england heavy barrel 410 with burris ff that I had sent to jebs to have threaded and choked along with my handloaded TSS #9. That 410 was the best shooting one i had and I let a friend borrow it for his then 12 year old daughter (she was shooting a mossberg 12 :( ) And she fell in love and he stayed on me until I sold it to him. I wouldve never sold it otherwise.

Attachments

• 20200404_180032.jpg
    20200404_180032.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 39

Roost 1

True.
I disagree with this… 90% plus of yhe shot in a 20" circle is still 90% plus in a 20" circle no matter the gauge.
Now a 410 is a little different. Less than 1oz of shot in the payload.

Trapper

I've have a few 28's and shot them for years , it is the only shotgun I use anymore except for a 12 when I'm duck hunting in flooded fields but in the timber it's the only one I will use . My son shot a turkey with one of them last year at 52 yards and it was stone cold no flopping at all . Yes there is some recoil on the tss but as said in early post you will never feel it when your shooting it in a hunting situation.

TheLBLman

TheLBLman said:
But keep in mind with these smaller gauges also comes a little smaller overall pattern,
This can be mitigated if one loads TSS 9.5s or 10s, as many do in the smaller gauges.
I assume you're suggesting a little more open choke to compensate for the physics of a smaller gauge, and then the smaller 9.5 or 10s, to "put back" the pattern density the 9s had with a tighter choke?

Displaced_Vol

For those who shoot 20 gauge guns hows the recoil on these compare to the 28 gauge for those who have shot both?
I think you're too hung up on gauge as it relates to shooting distance and recoil. Not to say that's not a factor but weight, action of the gun, choke and the payload (type & weight of shot plus the powder behind it) are going to determine those outcomes more than simply the "gauge" of the gun.

If you're able and willing to pay for TSS or any of the other heavier than lead options, you're really never outgunned even when dropping to 28 or .410.

Last edited:

Latest posts