Good beginner turkey gun

Black Titan

I'll start by saying I don't know much about shotguns. Havent had one since I was a kid, and that was a basic break action 20gauge I used for squirrel hunting.

I'm looking into getting a good pump action 12 gauge for turkey season, and really like the looks of this stoeger at BPS, and had pretty much settled on it, but wondering if there are any other options I should be considering. I'm looking to stay under $400-$450 as this will be my first one. I was planning to use my bow for turkey season, but everyone and their uncle keep telling me that I'll greatly increase my chances with a shotgun. Plus with my draw length and arrow length, not sure I can use a guillotine broadhead like I was planning to do.

Here's the stoeger -

I really like the looks and stats on this gun, it comes with two chokes, decent price, a cousin of Benelli, accepts up to 3" shells, and I love the camo pattern. But, it's not drilled and tapped for any optics/scope, and im not sure if I can shoot slugs through this if I want to use it during SG/ML season for deer.

Somewhere a little closer to me has some Mossberg 500s, Winchester SXP, and a little out of my price range Remmington 870s. One of the Mossbergs comes with 2 barrels, one for field and the other is a rifled slug barrel.

If you were new to shotguns and looking for a good Dual Purpose Turkey/Deer gun, what would you go with?

Plus, all the ammo is confusing. Up until I started researching turkey guns, I knew of bird shot and buck shot. Now I'm seeing there is a bazillion choices for shot shells. Any recommendations for turkey?

Does a shotgun barrel need to be broken in like a rifle barrel? If so, what's a good cheap shot to do barrel break in?

Sorry for all the questions and lack of knowledge. I failed deer season this year, want to get something to up my odds for turkey.

BT

REN

I'll start by saying I don't know much about shotguns. Havent had one since I was a kid, and that was a basic break action 20gauge I used for squirrel hunting.

I'm looking into getting a good pump action 12 gauge for turkey season, and really like the looks of this stoeger at BPS, and had pretty much settled on it, but wondering if there are any other options I should be considering. I'm looking to stay under $400-$450 as this will be my first one. I was planning to use my bow for turkey season, but everyone and their uncle keep telling me that I'll greatly increase my chances with a shotgun. Plus with my draw length and arrow length, not sure I can use a guillotine broadhead like I was planning to do.

Here's the stoeger -

I really like the looks and stats on this gun, it comes with two chokes, decent price, a cousin of Benelli, accepts up to 3" shells, and I love the camo pattern. But, it's not drilled and tapped for any optics/scope, and im not sure if I can shoot slugs through this if I want to use it during SG/ML season for deer.

Somewhere a little closer to me has some Mossberg 500s, Winchester SXP, and a little out of my price range Remmington 870s. One of the Mossbergs comes with 2 barrels, one for field and the other is a rifled slug barrel.

If you were new to shotguns and looking for a good Dual Purpose Turkey/Deer gun, what would you go with?

Plus, all the ammo is confusing. Up until I started researching turkey guns, I knew of bird shot and buck shot. Now I'm seeing there is a bazillion choices for shot shells. Any recommendations for turkey?

Does a shotgun barrel need to be broken in like a rifle barrel? If so, what's a good cheap shot to do barrel break in?

Sorry for all the questions and lack of knowledge. I failed deer season this year, want to get something to up my odds for turkey.

BT

for that price Id go a decent semi auto personally. If you want a 20 gauge below is a great price on one
or

for 12 gauge you can prob find a weatherby element on sale for around that or slightly over or a Stoeger M3000 for around your price. I just like semi autos better personally. If a pump is what you prefer then find a used 870.

Id stay in the 26inch barrel range if possible for dual use.

Ammunition comes down to what do you want to spend really. Winchester Longbeards are about the best lead option out there and they are not crazy expensive for turkey specific shells to use in a 12 gauge. For 20 gauge TSS is the best option but not the cheapest.

No a shotgun barrel does not need to be broken in. However if you are trying to pattern it to see what the ammo and choke are doing then I suggest starting each time with a clean barrel so you have a true starting point to go by

Iglow

I've had Mossberg 500s for 40 years and have 4 now. If I was wanting a pumpgun I'd go get a Mossberg 500. They work when they're suppose to , any part that was to break or wear out ( not likely) can be purchased and installed without a gunsmith. Easy to disassemble/reassemble for cleaning, top safety for thumb use, endless combinations of barrels and uses. and if some ahole steals it, cry 5 min and go get another one. If I was to lose every gun I have I'd go buy a 20 ga M500 with a 26" barrel and a slug barrel and not be wanting for 99% of the hunting I do.

Black Titan

I've had Mossberg 500s for 40 years and have 4 now. If I was wanting a pumpgun I'd go get a Mossberg 500. They work when they're suppose to , any part that was to break or wear out ( not likely) can be purchased and installed without a gunsmith. Easy to disassemble/reassemble for cleaning, top safety for thumb use, endless combinations of barrels and uses. and if some ahole steals it, cry 5 min and go get another one. If I was to lose every gun I have I'd go buy a 20 ga M500 with a 26" barrel and a slug barrel and not be wanting for 99% of the hunting I do.

Hmmm, that's something I didn't consider - the safety. I'm a lefty so a top thumb safety may be better for me.

For the ones with a swappable barrel, is correct headspace a concern with a shotgun like it is with a rifle? Or do the just screw on till they stop threading?

There's one up the road from me that comes with a second barrel, but is a smidge out of my price range but I might could swing it.

BT

REN

Hmmm, that's something I didn't consider - the safety. I'm a lefty so a top thumb safety may be better for me.

For the ones with a swappable barrel, is correct headspace a concern with a shotgun like it is with a rifle? Or do the just screw on till they stop threading?

There's one up the road from me that comes with a second barrel, but is a smidge out of my price range but I might could swing it.

BT

shotgun barrels are not like rifles, you dont have to screw them in and out. Take one off and put the other on, its pretty simple.

Iglow

BT
Barrels are interchangeable, as are every single part by gauge, no headspace issues. Choke tubes are winchoke thread so a gillion different tubes are available. Over 11 million M500s have been sold since 1960, that speaks for itself.
My old 12 ga duck gun lives a hard life with mag loads and weather and being thrown in muddy boats or blinds etc. after 30 years it got to be the kind you press the release button and it would fall open on it's own. I bought the parts on ebay and rebuilt it in about 15 mins, a slight amount of tuning the interrupter and it was like a new gun.
Another good thing about the safety, if you have it shouldered like you do when covering a gobbler or approaching deer you can see if the safety is on or off.

Last edited:

Huntaholic

835 is a 3.5 in gun and it kills at both ends! Ive told people for years, if you want to go to walmart or basspro and buy a turkey gun that right out of the box will shoot plenty good enough without having to play with choke tubes and shell combos, get an 835.

knightrider

835 is a 3.5 in gun and it kills at both ends! Ive told people for years, if you want to go to walmart or basspro and buy a turkey gun that right out of the box will shoot plenty good enough without having to play with choke tubes and shell combos, get an 835.
And they pattern a 3 in shell better than most 3 in guns, you dont have to shoot 3.5's in them

deerfever

My son has a Mossberg Maverick 88 pump 20 gauge it has all the same components of the 500 but is way cheaper. We then bought him a slug barrel for a 500 , again the same barrels, same choke tubes, all are interchangeable. He killed several turkeys with that gun ( so have I) but now it is a dedicated deer shotgun. Great guns for the money! The safety is different than the 500 and sure they also make it in 12 gauge

Last edited:

woodsman04

I'm partial to the 835 if your going mossberg. You ain't gotta shoot 3-1/2" shells. They just seem to pattern so dang good.
20+ years ago I'd say get a 870 or 11-87. But I think the great Remingtons are gone now.

Rakkin6

So honestly if you are going to be shooting TSS I would save a couple nickels and go with a 20 gauge. And since you are wanting to use it for deer a 20 gauge slug will still get the job done with a rifled barrel. If you are willing to go with a 20 gauge I would look at the Stoeger 3020 and the Mossberg 500. If you are set on a 12 gauge then the Stoeger 3000 or the Mossberg 500 turkey or 835 are solid choices. I have the Mossberg 535 Turkey Thug and it is maybe the hardest kicking gun I have ever shot. I shot two 3.5" shells out of it and never did that again. In regards to ammo if you are shooting TSS you can't go wrong with APEX or Rogue. If you drove to go with lead in the 12s look no further than Winchester Longbeard XR.

Option #2
But yourself a Savage 301 20 gauge and a decent red dot. With the money you save put it up and save a little extra money between now and August and buy a dedicated slug gun. That savage throws some nasty patterns. Attached is a picture of my Savage 301 20 gauge at 40 yards using #9 TSS.

Like I said the 535 12 gauge kicks like a mule but with a .660 IC and TSS #9 it throws better patterns than my 835.

Savage 20 gauge is top picture and the 535 12 gauge is bottom picture.

Attachments

• 132826-686f377aaed2bc05697b563943ea0898~2.jpg
    132826-686f377aaed2bc05697b563943ea0898~2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 28910.jpeg
    28910.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Latest posts