Feeling like a turkey beginner!

ImThere

Been hunting turkeys for a long time and killed the heck out of them. But I haven't hunted turkeys much in the last several years probably 10ish. Ever feel like you forgot how to hunt them? My buddy came up last year and I took him hunting for the first time. He's headed back up here in a few weeks to try again. So I guess I'll go chase them again see if it sparks the fire. I used to be ate up with it.
This will be the second time I have been in the woods in Al. I'll have to find some calls I found half mine had split, I didn't store them properly.
Anyways I'm starting to get excited about it. He will be here mid April

sharpshooter

I haven't hunted them in at least 12 years and feel the same way as you. When my house got broken into in 2012, one of the many guns they took was my 10ga turkey gun. Getting all my weapons stolen killed my hunting excitement for awhile. But now I am feeling the fire again and I'm jumping into the 20ga. and tss thing this time around. I'm currently waiting on some more load to arrive tomorrow so I can go out and pattern the new gun.

megalomaniac

Honestly, I just don't understand. When I started turkey hunting back in 1988, something just clicked in my soul. I just could not imagine NOT turkey hunting. I don't give a crap whether I kill one or not, but I just HAVE to beat them.

And even better, I LOVE it when one beats me (as long as it wasn't me beating myself... Im pretty hard on myself if I screwed up the hunt). There is nothing better than besting the same bird that has bested you 4 or 5 times before. But after 4 or 5 times, it gets personal... almost vindictive. I don't like losing to the same bird more than 4 or 5 times. I'm not even myself. At that point I lose respect for that Rosie O'Donnell but I can't walk away. (That's why I'm not going to hunt the bird I was on this morning tomorrow morning.... a few more days with him and I'll be setting out claymore mines to blow him up).

I guess all this rambling is just to say you either get it, or you don't. And it's ok if it's just a fun pastime/hobby. That's the way 99.9% of folks are. It's still fun. But the other 0.1% of folks understand on a deeper level what I'm saying.

knightrider

Honestly, I just don't understand. When I started turkey hunting back in 1988, something just clicked in my soul. I just could not imagine NOT turkey hunting. I don't give a crap whether I kill one or not, but I just HAVE to beat them.

And even better, I LOVE it when one beats me (as long as it wasn't me beating myself... Im pretty hard on myself if I screwed up the hunt). There is nothing better than besting the same bird that has bested you 4 or 5 times before. But after 4 or 5 times, it gets personal... almost vindictive. I don't like losing to the same bird more than 4 or 5 times. I'm not even myself. At that point I lose respect for that Rosie O'Donnell but I can't walk away. (That's why I'm not going to hunt the bird I was on this morning tomorrow morning.... a few more days with him and I'll be setting out claymore mines to blow him up).

I guess all this rambling is just to say you either get it, or you don't. And it's ok if it's just a fun pastime/hobby. That's the way 99.9% of folks are. It's still fun. But the other 0.1% of folks understand on a deeper level what I'm saying.
Yes, i hunt them because i HAVE to!!!

Setterman

I'm slowly starting to get excited for the season, but between fishing right now and how bad last year was for me with no gobbling it has been tough to get there

Latest posts