Good beginner turkey gun

scn

Rakkin beat me to it. If a heavy dose of waterfowl isn't in your future and you are buying for turkey and deer, I'd recommend the 20 ga with TSS shot. Since buckshot it illegal for all hunting in TN, a 20 ga with slugs will be a more than adequate combo for deer. An open choke and a side-saddle scope mount an low power scope can make a great deer hunting combination..

Iglow

Just my opinion, what do you want out of turkey hunting? If all you want is a dead bird, if you just want to kill them go the tss route, you can killem at 70 yards.
If you want to hunt them and sometimes you win and most times the gobbler wins tss is ridiculously expensive and totally unnecessary. A gobbler called to 30 yds or so is not walking/flying away from a 1 1/4 oz load of #7.5 shot from a tight choked 12ga gun. Cost for a box of 25? $14.99 was what I paid.

ScLowCountry

Just my opinion, what do you want out of turkey hunting? If all you want is a dead bird, if you just want to kill them go the tss route, you can killem at 70 yards.
If you want to hunt them and sometimes you win and most times the gobbler wins tss is ridiculously expensive and totally unnecessary. A gobbler called to 30 yds or so is not walking/flying away from a 1 1/4 oz load of #7.5 shot from a tight choked 12ga gun. Cost for a box of 25? $14.99 was what I paid.
Yea but cost off ammo. 2-3 shots a year is negligible. I shoot tss but wont shoot past 40. It just takes the patterning and choke testing out of the equation for average distance. You will spend just as much buying turkey chokes and several different lead loads and patterning. Just use a factory full and shoot it one time at the range to check poa/poi with tss.

Rakkin6

No such thing has to dead lol!

Black Titan

I appreciate all the responses and suggestions. I looked at several today, including some that weren't mentioned here. I couldn't find any mossbergs with the features I wanted. The one i was considering with two barrels was out of stock, and while it could have been ordered, I'm not sure when I would get another opportunity to get up there before season starts, so I looked at what was in stock.

Wow, Browning are expensive huh? And Beretta. Maybe one day, but not today.

I ended up going with the stoeger I was originally looking it. Only $300 with club points, came with two chokes, couldn't really find any bad reviews on it, and so far the only downside I see is I will need to find a gunsmith to drill and tap it for a rail if I want to add a dot or 4x scope for deer season.

I picked up two different kinds of shells for turkey, and a cheap box to run through it to get used to shooting it. I also got a case and a carlsons longbeard choke to go with it. They were out of the longbeard #6 shot.

The pic of the target is a customer review pic for this gun on the basspro website. Hoping the one I got will shoot just as good.

BT

Attachments

• 20240324_000113.jpg
    20240324_000113.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240322_222318_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_222318_Chrome.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 10

Rakkin6

I appreciate all the responses and suggestions. I looked at several today, including some that weren't mentioned here. I couldn't find any mossbergs with the features I wanted. The one i was considering with two barrels was out of stock, and while it could have been ordered, I'm not sure when I would get another opportunity to get up there before season starts, so I looked at what was in stock.

Wow, Browning are expensive huh? And Beretta. Maybe one day, but not today.

I ended up going with the stoeger I was originally looking it. Only $300 with club points, came with two chokes, couldn't really find any bad reviews on it, and so far the only downside I see is I will need to find a gunsmith to drill and tap it for a rail if I want to add a dot or 4x scope for deer season.

I picked up two different kinds of shells for turkey, and a cheap box to run through it to get used to shooting it. I also got a case and a carlsons longbeard choke to go with it. They were out of the longbeard #6 shot.

The pic of the target is a customer review pic for this gun on the basspro website. Hoping the one I got will shoot just as good.

BT
Congrats on the new toy. If you decide to just run a dot you don't need to get it drilled and tapped. You can run a meadow creek mount on the rib of the shotgun. I have one of my guns set up with one already and will be using one on my new Stoeger 3020 since it also didn't come drilled and tapped. Here is a link to their website if you are interested. Super easy to mount, requires no gunsmith and will save you some money since you would have to pay the gunsmith and still purchase a mount for the red dot.

TboneD

I've had Mossberg 500s for 40 years and have 4 now. If I was wanting a pumpgun I'd go get a Mossberg 500. They work when they're suppose to , any part that was to break or wear out ( not likely) can be purchased and installed without a gunsmith. Easy to disassemble/reassemble for cleaning, top safety for thumb use, endless combinations of barrels and uses. and if some ahole steals it, cry 5 min and go get another one. If I was to lose every gun I have I'd go buy a 20 ga M500 with a 26" barrel and a slug barrel and not be wanting for 99% of the hunting I do.
I've had a couple. Only thing to be aware of is that extra barrels, ie new 18" home security barrels etc, are really hard to find last few years. Don't think they make to sell separate anymore because they want folks to buy two shotguns instead of one. Extra barrel combos are still available, though, at least to some extent.

Black Titan

Congrats on the new toy. If you decide to just run a dot you don't need to get it drilled and tapped. You can run a meadow creek mount on the rib of the shotgun. I have one of my guns set up with one already and will be using one on my new Stoeger 3020 since it also didn't come drilled and tapped. Here is a link to their website if you are interested. Super easy to mount, requires no gunsmith and will save you some money since you would have to pay the gunsmith and still purchase a mount for the red dot.

I actually stumbled across these last night! Haven't decided yet though on which dot I want to use.

I may still go the pic rail mount though, so I can do a small power scope for slugs in deer season.

BT

Black Titan

Well, I think the choke that comes with the p3000 is quite exceptional.

Gun handled great. I was aiming at the neck below the head.

BT

Attachments

• 20240324_170428.jpg
    20240324_170428.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240324_170444.jpg
    20240324_170444.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 5

Rakkin6

Try it out at 40 yards and look at your pattern and adjust if needed. Once you are good at 40 bring it in to 15-20 yards and shoot. That way you see how condensed the pattern will be at close range also. Expect a soft all size pattern in closer. Which means there is not a lot of wiggle room for error.

Black Titan

Try it out at 40 yards and look at your pattern and adjust if needed. Once you are good at 40 bring it in to 15-20 yards and shoot. That way you see how condensed the pattern will be at close range also. Expect a soft all size pattern in closer. Which means there is not a lot of wiggle room for error.

Will do. Thanks for the tips!

BT

Rakkin6

Will do. Thanks for the tips!

BT
No problem brother, it's just good to know your pattern at 40 yards and in close. Lessons learned by yours truly. I am also a self taught turkey hunter starting in 2011. Just gathered has much info has I could on here and watching videos etc.

Latest posts