Good beginner turkey gun

Black Titan

I'll probably go back and shoot that Carlson choke again. It seemed like it had a decent pattern, but I missed where I was aiming. Pretty sure I flinched or just pulled the trigger. This is a pretty heavy trigger pull on here. I'm used to much much less on my other rifles. I haven't measured it, but my comp .308 Savage can probably be measured in ounces rather than pounds. Gonna take some getting used to.

Also the recoil kind of took me by surprise. I'm sure there's worse out there, but I wasn't expecting what I got lol. A little glad I didn't go with the 3.5" version haha.

I need to find some of these shells in #6 shot. Basspro was out so I just got #4 and #5, one box each.

BT

Carlos

That was probably one of the biggest mistakes you could ever made- not getting the 835. I thought you

J/k with ya, I'm biased to them, they've done me well. The tang safety beats all others imo.

Black Titan

That was probably one of the biggest mistakes you could ever made- not getting the 835. I thought you

J/k with ya, I'm biased to them, they've done me well. The tang safety beats all others imo.

Lol I was looking at them but couldn't find any close that had the features I wanted, and didn't want to wait to order one. There was one that was used at a gunstore in Halls, but I wanted a new one. Smokey mountain knife works had a bunch, but they were all 18.5" barrels with pistol grips or were more of a home defense type setup.

I actually had my eyes on a Benelli Nova and was willing to go a little over budget for, but the website said they had it, and they didn't.

BT

Black Titan

Congrats on the new toy. If you decide to just run a dot you don't need to get it drilled and tapped. You can run a meadow creek mount on the rib of the shotgun. I have one of my guns set up with one already and will be using one on my new Stoeger 3020 since it also didn't come drilled and tapped. Here is a link to their website if you are interested. Super easy to mount, requires no gunsmith and will save you some money since you would have to pay the gunsmith and still purchase a mount for the red dot.

I ordered one of these with the AT3 Aro mount. Should I remove the front fiber dot when I mount it, or is it meant to cowitness?

BT

Bgoodman30

Buying an 835 at a pawn shop many years ago was the worst mistake I ever made in my hunting career.....

I would just get a 20 ga, modern ammo is just too good to get anything bigger.. Stoeger, Stevens, tristar, weatherby, franchi, Benelli, Retay used 870 so many good options out there now for turkey.

REN

I am dead serious when I say, I would not own an 835 even if someone gave it to me for free :) that goes for the Benelli Nova as well (and I am a huge benelli fan). Just NOT a fan of them and I find them to be just a hunk of junk that rattles more then a spay-paint can.

Having said that, they do pattern well and they do fire when you pull the trigger.

DISCLAIMER - These are just my opinions, for those that have and love them Im happy you enjoy them ;).

knightrider

I am dead serious when I say, I would not own an 835 even if someone gave it to me for free :) that goes for the Benelli Nova as well (and I am a huge benelli fan). Just NOT a fan of them and I find them to be just a hunk of junk that rattles more then a spay-paint can.

Having said that, they do pattern well and they do fire when you pull the trigger.

DISCLAIMER - These are just my opinions, for those that have and love them Im happy you enjoy them ;).
And im just the opposite, give me a good patterning rattletrap , way before i would think of carrying anything inertia that a twig can nock out of battery. 😂 but thats why im glad they make so many different ones and brother i cant wait to see your kill pics from those ole cheap benellis!!!

Black Titan

And im just the opposite, give me a good patterning rattletrap , way before i would think of carrying anything inertia that a twig can nock out of battery. 😂 but thats why im glad they make so many different ones and brother i cant wait to see your kill pics from those ole cheap benellis!!!

Interesting. I'm not familiar with pump shotguns. Is it being "inertia" driven why sometimes when I was shooting it the pump was coming back and somewhat ejecting the shell? Or am I doing something akin to limp wristing a pistol and just need to hold it different?

BT

REN

thank you for taking my comments how I hoped folks would :)

still some decent folks in this place (even though they are mossberg users)

REN

Interesting. I'm not familiar with pump shotguns. Is it being "inertia" driven why sometimes when I was shooting it the pump was coming back and somewhat ejecting the shell? Or am I doing something akin to limp wristing a pistol and just need to hold it different?

BT

yes and no. Inertia in the sense of what Knight was talking about is the mechanism that some semi autos like Benelli use to cycle the shells.

pumps dont really use that, however you are right in that the initial recoil is what helps start the pump sliding back but obviously you have to manually cycle the shell.

knightrider

BT
No your doing it right, when the pump is fired it actually breaks loose so you can slid her on back and put another one in her quickly. Inerta and gas are two different types of semi autos, sorry I didn't mean to stir any confusion, i was just ribbing ren a little 😂

Black Titan

No your doing it right, when the pump is fired it actually breaks loose so you can slid her on back and put another one in her quickly. Inerta and gas are two different types of semi autos, sorry I didn't mean to stir any confusion, i was just ribbing ren a little 😂

Lol no problem. When I was shooting the 2 3/4 game loadable I loaded up 3 or 4 and was able to shoot, cycle, shoot, cycle, repeat. Like I'm supposed to I guess.

When I put in the 3" magnum shell I did one at a time, and it was ejecting by itself lol. I held tighter and ended up halfway ejecting a couple the next time I loaded 2 at a time. Thought I was doing something wrong.

BT

Rakkin6

Well you are also a Bama fan so I am not surprised by your bad taste lol!

Latest posts