10/22 accuracy

Tenntrapper

I just recently picked up a new, wood stocked, 10/22. After getting it home, I noticed a little slop in the receiver to stock fit. I did a very, very mild skim bed at rear of receiver. It seems to have tightened things up...no movement.
Ive owned 10/22s in the past, and my daughter shoots one now, but ive never given much thought to their accuracy... beyond hitting a squirrel.
So my question is, what should I expect from this rifle, at say..30 yards? Remember, this is a bone stock 10/22...no mods. Just looking for some good honest numbers, so I dont start chasing something that isnt possible.
Basically, is the skim job enough, or do I need to consider a more complete bedding job?

Thanks for the assistance.

I have not shot the rifle yet, so nothing to compare to.

Pioneer1789

My old bone stock 10/22 would shoot 1" groups and under all day long at 50yd with a scope. Just had to figure out which ammo it liked. I sold it and built a bull barrel gun from the ground up on a billet receiver. It shoots a little bit better. 😉

Attachments

• PXL_20210816_124647467.jpg
    PXL_20210816_124647467.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 38

Pioneer1789

Not to derail my own thread, but how does the build shoot?
3/4" any day of the week. Best I've ever shot with it was a 1/2" at 50, but I shot several groups about that size on that range trip. I can hit chipmunks around the house with it pretty consistently at about 20-25yd.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Bone stock with a 4X scope I can pick out gumballs out of a tree at 50 yards and take them out every time, long as I do my part.
This gun is 20+ years old though.

The only new ones I have bought recently have never been shot.

My shooter of the bunch is a 10/22 Target with a trigger job.
I can shoot off the bench at 50 yards and cover a 10 shot group up with a dime.

It is also 20+ years old too though. :D

Tenntrapper

I just done some testing. This is by no means a definitive answer to my question, but it shows me where i am...I guess.
I shot one five shot group of 4 different brands. The results actually shocked me. I tried..Federal auto match, SK standard plus, Norma tac22, and Eley tenex. Distance was 30 yards, from a rest.
The tac22 was the worst, at 1+" ctc. SK standard plus was .8+. Now here is the shocker...the Tenex was .599", and the auto match was .513".
Actually, im glad it prefers the auto match over the tenex... 😂 My daughter's 10/22 loves the tac22, but it was the worst in my gun. Guess you just never know.
Just for comparison...my CZ with tenex is at about .1" at same distance.

casjoker

Mine is a year old and I can shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups at 30 with it. Probably would do better with someone else behind the trigger. Ammo can be a factor. I have some old Winchester and some Russian stuff that is great. CCI is not as good. Didn't think ammo would matter much in 22 but it does seem to make a difference.

Latest posts