Would you do a headshot with?

dsa5455

I have seen the topic discussed about shooting a doe/buck in the head to save the meat or short tracking job. I know many of you make this shot with a rifle. My question is "would you make this shot with a muzzleloader using a sabot bullet"?

Diehard Hunter

I seriously considered it this morning. Wish I had taken it, It would have saved me some steep dragging.

Poleaxe

I love killing them but just cant shoot it in the head. I passed up a 100yrd head shot this evening on a unbelievable buck but I still missed him standing at 150yrds.

megalomaniac

hmm... around 2 lbs of boned out and fully trimmed meat out of each shoulder if not shot thru the shoulders... about 1 lb of meat out of each shoulder after trimming out blood shot... so you save about 2 lbs of meat total with a head shot...

doesn't seem like a valid argument to me (shoot them in the head to save the meat)

Columbia Scott

I have seen too many headshots leave the deer alive and flopping around. Part of my job for the past 23 years has been dispatching animals that have been hit by cars including deer. The only part of the brain that regulates the heartbeat and breathing is the medula oblongatta, The brain stem. If you don't sever that connection they continue to flail around. Sure you might get lucky, but a shot to the heart or through the lungs, in my opinion, is more effective a greater percentage of the time. I will let a deer walk rather than shoot it in the head. Neck shots are better than head shots, but the heart or a shot through both lungs deprives the entire brain of blood and /or oxygen ending it quicker and cleaner. A shot to the vitals has never failed. I watched an officer shoot a fawn 5 times in the head with a .357 and utterly fail to promptly dispatch it.

Latest posts