When Do You Get on Stand?

bowriter

R.I.P.
I wait until I can see to walk in withut a light. I also leave the stand when I can see to walk without using a light. been doing it that way for years.

medic

45-60 mins before first light. Something about sitting in the stand and listening to the wooods wake up that takes the stress away.

volunteer1

I prefer to be in my stand 30 minutes or so before dark. However I have gotten to my stand in less time and killed nice bucks. On the flip side I have gotten to my stand an hour or so before dark and haven't seen anything. The amount of time I get to mystand before daybreak is also dictated by the amount of time it takes to get to my stand and how much woods I have to stomp through on my way. I like the woods to be settled for a while after I get to my stand.

BSK

UTGrad said:
BSK said:
10-15 minutes before shooting light. As I get older, I just can't sit in the stand for as many hours as I used to, so I want the time I do sit to be as productive as possible. Sitting on stand in the dark is not productive stand time! Plus, the longer your in the stand, the more scent is pouring off you and filling the surrounding environment.

Isn't it better to be settled in and ready a good while before deer start moving at first light?

In my area, we see little movement at grey light. Our peak movement time is 7 to 8 AM.

stik

UTGrad said:
Isn't it better to be settled in and ready a good while before deer start moving at first light?

those deer haven't necessarily started moving at first light. they may have been up all night.

I like to get settled as the sky is starting to lighten up.

Deer Assassin

for me 30 min before to right at first light

i read on here years ago ole bowriter talking about walking in when it was light no rush to be there

so the next morning i got up late when in about 30 min after light and saw deer i could have killed

but i have also killed deer that if i cam in 30 min after light i would have never killed

so it is clear as mud

Boll Weevil

bowriter said:
I wait until I can see to walk in withut a light. I also leave the stand when I can see to walk without using a light.
Same here for the most part. I've just got far too many ag fields to deal with and have much better success and lower impact hunting my way in and hunting my way out.

UTGrad

Would it be fair to say when bow hunting with a climber walking in at first light is a stupid move? I can see where walking into a fixed stand with a rifle is a totally different story. If you see a deer 100 yards away at first light walking in you can take a shot.

Walking in with a climber and climbing a tree at first light expecting to have a deer at 20 yards is unlikely.

Boll Weevil

Not necessarily; you can still definitely use the available terrain features. I've got a deep-ditch creek that is just about the only way I can sneak in undetected and before shooting light. It's slow, always wear rubber boots, easing along but it works. If you must get in before first light, maybe consider focusing on sneaky routes.

Even when I take the creek in though, I'd still rather poke along when its just baaaarrrrely light enough.

Hunter 257W

I shoot for 30 minutes before 1st light but never make it. Actually get there right about 1st light most days. I can only sit 2hrs most days without painkillers so I'm not going to waste too much of it in total darkness. My hips start to ache at that point. If I'm seeing deer I may make it to 3 hours but at that point, I'm getting up and going to the house because I'm miserable.

I find it interesting that Bowriter walks in after 1st light. I've heard several accomplished hunters say they do the same and I think about them every time the alarm goes off in the middle of the night. The fact that I've had several bucks come running towards me while up stomping around mid day while making no attempt to be quite makes me think it could be a very productive way to hunt. Now regarding Bowriters method for evening hunts, I used to do the same. When it would get almost dark, I would get up and head to the house. I said for years that hunting evenings around our farm was a waste of time because I never saw deer. Then I started sitting until last legal light. AHA!!! The last 10 minutes - when I was normally walking to the house - was when it all happens. Killed several that way. No fun to do the cleaning in the dark but the deer are moving those last minutes.

As far as morning movement around our farm, I've seen very few deer in the 1st light timeframe. They usually start 7:30 onwards.

Boone 58

Bow hunting is where I prefer to be there before light.....I like to settle in and let the deer come to me....but if I spook them going in during bow season I seem to blow it all together....it is diff, during gun season, bow season finds the deer more spooky it seems.

deerhunter10

i don't do it very often but in some spots I do go in at first light. I know a lot of people that kill mature deer every year doing that. and I also know a whole lot of people that swear to getting in 30 minutes or better that also kill mature deer every year. if I am climbing I get in there early because it takes a little longer.

Latest posts