Food Plots Well... how much did you get?

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
We got a slow steady rain for 7 hours yesterday. Farm log said I got 0.43". I'm at 13.97" of rain on my farm since July 18th. We are expecting more this week. The small left over seed (test date was April 2012) that I threw out onto bare dirt that was dumped at then of my drive has exploded. I've got brassicas already knee high. would have been higher, but I had 2 ground hogs show up and eat it to the ground the first 2 weeks it was out before I could remove them.

Last edited:

Knothead

1662906377823.jpg

.66 in last 72 hrs. Apparently enough to make the plot green up and spark the interest from the deer.
Wouldn't hurt my feeling if we get another 1" or so in the next day or two.

BSK

I sure hope all of the long-range forecast models are wrong (like they have been so many times this year). Because after this possible rain today (Sunday), none of the three major long-range models have any rain in the forecast for West TN through the rest of September.

BSK

Got 0.62" today. That will germinate the seed. No rain - and quite hot week 2 - in the forecast for the next 2 weeks. I would say my plots are doomed. Again.

megalomaniac

1.22in today...

Seedlings are already 3 to 4in tall on the 12 acres of plots planted last Friday. I should be fine even without another rain in the next 2 weeks.

Still have another 6 acres to plant, and nothing has been fertilized yet. Never ending!

govols

I got my plot in on Friday then got 2.20" over the weekend. Hopefully the long range models are wrong but its gonna be great weather to get the rest of the hay up!

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
That's crazy. We've had less than 2 inches since the beginning of August. From early June to late July we had around 0.25".
I agree! Never seen this much rain during the summer since I bought my first house in 2003. I remember it was raining so much that summer, I was having to push mow my almost 1 acre yard twice a week. Got so worn out, that I sold some guns to go buy a $1k Craftsman riding mower...lol

We were dry late May through early July. There was talk of canceling firework shows cause of drought. Long term is calling for it to become dry through early Nov. Here is the rain quantities since July 19.

1662985967816.png

tellico4x4

Shooters post made me go back and look at rain for similar time period. Since July 24 ( when started back raining) we've had 14.41", so may not be as bad as I thought. Soil moisture was really good when planting last Thursday & Friday. Got .11" on seed over weekend so that should germinate & hopefully enough moisture in soil to make it until next rain.

Still have 10 plots to do & now concerned about my seed mixture. Mix has lots turnips & radish in it & if don't get planted until late Sept or early Oct, that doesn't leave much growing season for brassicas....

Last edited:

wildlifefarmer

well heck! I'll have make a plan for our firebreaks(6acres). As you mature and very limited help, time appears to be running out. Terminate(gly), attack the grass with cleth, or wait to try frost seeding??? With only 1 tractor it will mean this old fart will have to change equipment out many times and this just kills my back and hips!! Sore as heck this morning from crawling and butt scooting replacing hydraulics underneath a dump trailer by myself. With no rain in the forecast I'm having a hard time making a plan. Just hope a tropical system comes this way.

BSK

With only 1 tractor it will mean this old fart will have to change equipment out many times and this just kills my back and hips!!
Tell me about it. I use three pieces of equipment: tractor with bushhog and switch to tiller after mowing, UTV with broadcast seeder attached, and ATV switching between sprayer and chain harrow for covering seed. Even doing just that by myself kills me.

BSK

With no rain in the forecast I'm having a hard time making a plan.
I suspect my "plan" is going to be replanting all my plots later in the fall. But that means buying another 1,000 pounds of seed. I doubt I would retill. I will probably just broadcast seed onto the ground and go over it with the chain-harrow (teeth down) to try and scratch some dirt over the seed.

Latest posts