Vortex vs. Nikon

speedster1370

Curious what everyones preference is. I plan to buy either the Nikon Prostaff 7 3x9x40 or the Vortex Diamondback 3x9x40. I will be putting it on a browning .270.

Both looked pretty good in the store and right now the biggest things I can find that separate them are the reticles and warranty. So who has either of these scopes? How are they in low light situations and extreme conditions? To me that is what truly separates a good scope from a great scope.

Jcalder

I have nikons on most of my rifles. The new diamondback hp would be worth consideration.

I can't vouch for the diamondback simply because I've never hunted with one but the Nikons do fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speedster1370

I have always been a Nikon man myself. But the lifetime warranty no questions asked sounds quite appealing as well. Gander mtn guy told me you just give vortex a call tell them the scope is damaged and they send a new one and do not require the old one to be sent back.

the HP looks pretty sweet but at $450 for the scope, that is a little more than I want to spend.

Hardwoodmaterials

I would take the Vortex for twice the price before I put another Nikon on any of my rifles. I might even take a paper towel tube with toothpicks for crosshairs over a Nikon! Ha-Ha Seriously I have owned 2 Nikon Prostaffs 3-9x40 and had to send both back for repair within a couple months. One was on a 270 Win. the other a 308 so not big recoiling rifles and both of them came back with a note saying the problem was "broken erector springs". They sent new scopes as replacements and I sold them as soon as they got here. Their customer service was easy to deal with but I'm 2 for 2 with them so I won't buy another one. I have 3 Vortex in the safe now and have no problem buying another one when I need one.

1 good shot

I never had any problem with any of my Nikon Scopes that being said I put a diamondback on my 8mm Remington Magnum and I put maybe a hundred rounds through it and it's holding its setting I'm really pleased it how clear it is and the long eye relief

speedster1370

hardwood - hate to hear about bad experience like that. I've been fortunate to never have had any problems with my nikons. Which vortex scopes do you have? the guy at gander didn't tell me much info about them other than he liked his and directed me towards the crossfire 2.

Hardwoodmaterials

I have 3 Diamondbacks two 3-9x40 and one 4-12x40. I have no idea about the Crossfire I've never messed with one of them. I have also had good luck out of the Burris FFII and Redfield Revolution scopes. I bought both Nikons around the same time so maybe they had a bad run of springs or something. About the only good thing I can say about my experience with Nikon is their customer service was easy to work with.

TNRifleman

I can't say anything negative about Nikon as I used to have Monarchs on a bunch of rifles. However, all of my rifles currently have Vortex's of some sort. A Razor HD LH, 3 Vipers and a couple of Diamondbacks.

I would go the Diamondback route especially if you can get the HP. It is an awesome scope for the money and can be found for around $250 when run on a special. I am not sure where you found a price of $450 on one but you could get a new Viper for that easily. The glass in the HP is extremely good and it has great eye relief. The original Diamondback is a great scope as well but does ot have nearly as generous eye relief as the HP.

Deerhunter

I used to have almost all Nikons but after 2 bad Nikon Prostaffs and horribly slow customer service from them, I'm done with Nikon. My last 4 optics purchases have been Vortex, and will continue to add more in the future.

speedster1370

That was a great read. Thanks for sharing and appreciate the input from everyone. Looked at a few today and narrowed it down to 2 scopes. The vortex crossfire 2 6-18x44AO for 219 and the diamondback hp 4-16x42 for 359. Chances are I'll end up with the crossfire. Was really impressed by the eye relief, focus, zoom and clarity.

TNRifleman

speedster1370":3q5l38v7 said:
That was a great read. Thanks for sharing and appreciate the input from everyone. Looked at a few today and narrowed it down to 2 scopes. The vortex crossfire 2 6-18x44AO for 219 and the diamondback hp 4-16x42 for 359. Chances are I'll end up with the crossfire. Was really impressed by the eye relief, focus, zoom and clarity.

I would look around more for the HP. You can do ALOT better than $359. Ebay has them brand new for around $294 from a couple of different sellers. Optics Planet is always running a 10% off sale and will run the HP's on sale sometimes on top of that. If you are willing to pay $219 for a Crossfire, just wait it out a bit and find an HP on sales. They can be had for around $250 if you find the right sale.

Pinwheeled

Y'all are making me feel good about putting Vortex's on the 2 rifles I've bought recently. Put a 3-9x40 diamondback on my .308 and a 2-7x32 on my AR. Been quite pleased with both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speedster1370

Thanks for all the feedback. Just ordered me the HP for a killer deal with the help of TN RIFLEMAN! Now just to sale the old rifle to get me new one!

Latest posts