Marlin 45-70 vs Browning BLR 308

PillsburyDoughboy

I see u have traded ? Always late to the party.

IMHO the .308 lever action Browning has always been a certain head scratcher. Certainly a fun gun to own but not the most accurate .308 out there. Overshadowed by oth a r bolt action .308 rifle and for what u could sell that for you could own a pretty decent semi custom .308 bolt gun .

The 45/70 Marlin probably fits the same bill in terms of range for the platform a lever gun requires and opens up to larger game IMHO. The Brownings are a little more care sensitive so there is that and I do not know what parts and repair are like now days. The Marlin u should be good for years.

So if u got good value for ur trade I think u did well trading it . While it's a fine firearm it's sorta a turd in the punchbowl. No offense to BROWNING BLM owners out there.

PillsburyDoughboy

I think I am going to reload or have someone reload for me.
Reloading is the way to go. Yiu can order a single stage press and save $$%$

As little as u are probably u are gonna shoot it might not make much difference. My son reloads and bought 3 boxes for his. Sighted in in less than 3 shots and confirms zero every season with his Leapold Scope. Zero adjustment . Still has two + boxes left. So there is that.

PillsburyDoughboy

Which one kicks more?
LOL almost every lever action I have shot has kicked more than a bolt action regardless of character for the most part. Again I said for the most part.

Most comes down to stock design! Period.

Lever action stock design just does not lend itself to less felt recoil. They just do not fit good in the pocket regardless of LOP.

A "proper" fitted bolt action stock with the "correct" LOP will soak up a lot of recoil short of something that is capable of taking down the big 5.