6.5 prc vs 308

TNRifleman

I have a few 6.5 PRC's and they are all lightweight guns. In my estimation, the recoil is about like a 270 which is really similar to a 308. If you're going to shoot a ton, the 6.5PRC will have significantly shorter barrel life than a 308 or 6.5 Creed. For his age and size, the 6.5 Creed should be about perfect.

nso123

PRC doesn't have bad recoil at all. Both rounds are versatile, but I think the 6.5 would open up some options should you choose to go out west or be shooting at distance.

280longshot

No way would I put a 60 lb child behind either a 308 or 6 5 PRC.
My kids started out with a lightweight CZ 223 then progressed to a youth 7-08 with youth 120 bt loads.
Lightweight and youth LOP are Kew factors with emphasis on a long eye relief scope.
6mm CM , 6 5 CM or 7-08 are all great calibers.
20" barrels are great for kids especially in a blind.

TboneD

I honestly wouldn't want a small kid shooting either.

Started my son off on a .243 Win but it was an ultralight NEF Handi-rifle that unfortunately wouldn't group at all with any of the 95-100 gr. deer loads we tried. Why they didn't put anymore twist in those rifles is beyond me but the bullets of more than one box we tried literally keyholed the target. So upon recommendation of a clerk at the BPS we tried Hornady 75 gr hollowpoints, which to our amazement all of a sudden produced little cloverleaf groups. Learned the hard way, though, that soft little .243 hollow points aren't made for deer, though, and a snap cap at the bench proved my suspicion that the gun was so light, boy son was starting to develop a flinch.

More I think about it, I'd suggest a 6.5 Creedmoor as long as the gun wasn't way too big for the kid.

tug

As I recall, a 10 year old turns into an 11 year old. And then 12. And 13. And it happens fast.

I would be focused on a stock that fits correctly first. Stock fit has a quite a bit to do with felt recoil. And accuracy in the field. And enjoyment.

I would bias my decision toward a gun that has an option to replace a child's size stock with an adult size stock.

We could talk calibers until the cows come home, but if you intend on suppressing it, that conversation is immaterial.

And remember, this is life. Where there are no perfect answers, only tradeoffs.

Blockhouse

My son started with a 700 in 243 - youth size. I think the barrel is about 20 inches. 80 gr loads got him used to shooting paper then 100s for hunting. They grow fast and in no time I picked up a full size stock. It is the handiest short barrel adult gun now. Very accurate and little recoil - ammo available many places as well.

Billboy

My daughter started with a model 7 243 when she was a 10yo beanpole. Even though the recoil was minimal, the muzzle blast kinda scared her. We never practiced with the 243, but shot her 22lr alot. When a deer shows up and the adrenaline is pumping, the 243 recoil/blast was never noticed.

That said, a 6.5 anything with a 120-140gr bullet will work perfectly well for kid or adult. The recoil on my 6.5 PRC shooting 140's is minimal and it is a fairly light rifle with no brake.

DaveTN

I don't own a 6.5, but everything I see trying desperately to convince the man bun crowd that they are better than the King, seems to say there isn't a dimes worth of difference on recoil.

Latest posts