45-70 vs 35 Whelen

BDS05

Just following up. He picked the rifle up today. Said she's an absolute beaut and feels perfect in the arms…

7mm08

The 35 Whelen has a flatter trajectory, but factory ammo is almost nonexistent. 45/70 is cool, but requires hand loading to get the most out of it.

I feel like both of them need to be reloaded for to enjoy, but I may be too narrow minded
As a .35 REM owner that occasionally looks for factory ammo….. I see .35 Wheelen on the shelves every time. It's out there, .35 REM is not.

Congrats on snagging the rifle!

Farm manager

I should have clarified in the original post. He has no intentions for this rifle to ping at 300. If you're maxing at 125 yards, which are you choosing?
The . 35 Rem would get my vote every time with the range limit. I would not think twice about shooting 200 yards + especially if using the LeverEvolution ammo

Lost Lake

Glad he found a rifle that made his day. Being a big bore lever action fan, my choice would've been the 45/70 as well.

If he doesn't handload, factory loaded 300 grain bullets at 1800 fps will handily do the job on any deer, and won't beat him up too bad in the recoil department. Or, he can always step up to 28,000 CUP+ loads if he feels like it. But, those retina detaching loads will get his attention.

Latest posts