CVA cascade vs savage 110 vs rem.700 SPS

trex

CVA cascade vs savage 110 vs rem.700 SPS

.223 Use on ground hogs, crow, armadillos, coyote and maybe whitetail in a pinch

$750 ish price point

What order would you put them in?

Savage 110 hunter 22" barrel 1-9 twist accutrigger with accustock $675 ish

Rem. 700 ADL 24" 1-12 or 1-8 twist barrel $545 ish

Rem 700 SPS 24" 1-12 or 1-8 twist barrel $750 ish

CVA Cascade 22" 1-9 twist barrel $ 700 ish

The Rem. 700 varmint 26" 1-8 twist, but I really didn't want a 10# rifle

DaveTN

You decided .223. So I'd want a Remington 700 heavy barrel. I doubt that it would make any difference what model it was or what it cost.

Savage would be my 2nd choice. But it would be the 110 Varmint.

The CVA Cascade is made by Bergara, so it wouldn't make the cut on my list, its foreign made.

Of those rifles you have listed, I suspect your ability as a rifleman will be the deciding factor, not them.

Jcalder

You decided .223. So I'd want a Remington 700 heavy barrel. I doubt that it would make any difference what model it was or what it cost.

Savage would be my 2nd choice. But it would be the 110 Varmint.

The CVA Cascade is made by Bergara, so it wouldn't make the cut on my list, its foreign made.

Of those rifles you have listed, I suspect your ability as a rifleman will be the deciding factor, not them.
Why do you think a 700 is superior to a foreign made rifle? I've not handled a cascade and won't degrade it but there are much better options than a 700. Unless this new group that's producing rifles for Remington now has improved, the quality just isn't there. I have a couple bergaras and I everything about the rifles is much better. Fit and finish are great and they use better components. Take the triggers, a stock b14 trigger is all around better than the xmark triggers that were offered. Remington tried to correct that atrocity with a non adjustable timney. Timney makes a fine trigger but non adjustable? The only gun manufacture without a user adjustable trigger. Laughable at best. Their sps stocks and adl stocks are as pitiful as the savage stocks and ruger American stocks. Bergara has a much better stock in their b14 line. I have a tikka as well, the only comparison to the 700 is a crappy stock. But yeah, don't buy a better rifle cause it's foreign.

Jcalder

Any of the rifles should shoot exceptionally well. The deciding factor would be aesthetics and twist rate. Not sure why you'd wanna shoot 40s as you stated in your other thread, but for 55s and up I'd want a faster twist. With the higher bc bullets around the 69-77 grain weights you have some really good options to keep a low recoil cartridge while also being able to shoot some distance. A 40 grain bullet with the least little wind will be blown all over the place. 77 is about as heavy as you could go because of mag length and it may not work in all applications.

DaveTN

Why do you think a 700 is superior to a foreign made rifle? I've not handled a cascade and won't degrade it but there are much better options than a 700. Unless this new group that's producing rifles for Remington now has improved, the quality just isn't there. I have a couple bergaras and I everything about the rifles is much better. Fit and finish are great and they use better components. Take the triggers, a stock b14 trigger is all around better than the xmark triggers that were offered. Remington tried to correct that atrocity with a non adjustable timney. Timney makes a fine trigger but non adjustable? The only gun manufacture without a user adjustable trigger. Laughable at best. Their sps stocks and adl stocks are as pitiful as the savage stocks and ruger American stocks. Bergara has a much better stock in their b14 line. I have a tikka as well, the only comparison to the 700 is a crappy stock. But yeah, don't buy a better rifle cause it's foreign.
I've not said they are superior. I said I don't buy foreign. I think with any of the guns listed, my abilities, not the gun would be the limiting factor.

The days of me buying mostly America made stuff are gone. Many things I have no choice about. But trust me when I say with the most important stuff, Guns, Trucks, Motorcycles and Liquor, America made rules.

I've owned hundreds of different guns over more than 50 years. I've only had to replace a trigger once, and that was on a handgun. Could it be you need to work on your trigger skills?

We get it… you don't like anyone saying anything about your foreign rifles. Luckily for you, you can buy them. So you go ahead and talk down the American made rifles. But you should remember you aren't on Glock Talk, you are a hunting forum, no one is buying that BS.

Jcalder

I've not said they are superior. I said I don't buy foreign. I think with any of the guns listed, my abilities, not the gun would be the limiting factor.

The days of me buying mostly America made stuff are gone. Many things I have no choice about. But trust me when I say with the most important stuff, Guns, Trucks, Motorcycles and Liquor, America made rules.

I've owned hundreds of different guns over more than 50 years. I've only had to replace a trigger once, and that was on a handgun. Could it be you need to work on your trigger skills?

We get it… you don't like anyone saying anything about your foreign rifles. Luckily for you, you can buy them. So you go ahead and talk down the American made rifles. But you should remember you aren't on Glock Talk, you are a hunting forum, no one is buying that BS.
You missed my point Dave, but that's ok.

mike243

Well if I wanted to shoot stuff 60g+ I would go to a 243, wider range of weights. cost more to shoot but choices are about unlimited these days

REN

I wouldnt own a Remington that wasnt old personally.

I have a Cascade and for the $ its very hard to beat. you get A LOT of features on it for the cost, action is very smooth, and it is a very accurate rifle out of the box.

Savage is a good rifle as well, but for me the cascade was more "worth it" for me. Just personal preference though

trex

Any of the rifles should shoot exceptionally well. The deciding factor would be aesthetics and twist rate. Not sure why you'd wanna shoot 40s as you stated in your other thread, but for 55s and up I'd want a faster twist. With the higher bc bullets around the 69-77 grain weights you have some really good options to keep a low recoil cartridge while also being able to shoot some distance. A 40 grain bullet with the least little wind will be blown all over the place. 77 is about as heavy as you could go because of mag length and it may not work in all applications.
Well, I figured (may be wrong) that if people are using the 204 Ruger with 32gr. – 40gr. bullets for coyote with good results then the 223 should as well.

Not stuck on anything but caliber. The 52gr. & 53gr. bullets look promising. Trying to get 300yds point blank range.

I want to be able to stay on target with this rifle, smaller bullet helps with that also looking at higher villosities because I have never done it that way before. I have always been on the lower side of villosities with bigger bores.

I don't want to have to buy every thing for a different caliber either.

I really appreciate the help from everybody, keep it coming.

TNRifleman

CVA Cascade for me. Knowing the guys who run CVA and manage the brand, I can tell you they are all hunters, shooters and outdoorsmen and some of the best guys in the business. The Cascade barrels are made in the same factory in Spain and most of you would be surprised to know of some of the other "American" companies that use barrels made by Bergara. If you own an AR, there's a REALLY good chance you barrel came out of the Bergara factory in Spain.

BigCityBubba

I have an old rem 700 pss in 223 with a 1:12 barrel. I love it and its extremely accurate with cheap 55gr ammo. It sucks with anything heavier. With cheap 55gr bullets I am getting half inch groups or smaller. I moved up to 62 grains it its about a 4 or 5 inch group. 77's is about an 8 inch group or bigger. If I were wanting to shoot a groundhog in the head at 300yds, of the rifles listed I would get the rem 700 varmint. But then again, like another member here I am a rem 700 fan.

DaveB

If you want a 223 try to stay with a 1:8 twist although I know the 1:9 will shoot 70 gr Accubonds into cloverleaf holes at 100 in a cheap Savage Axis 2.

Make and model, pick your poison.

trex

CVA Cascade for me. Knowing the guys who run CVA and manage the brand, I can tell you they are all hunters, shooters and outdoorsmen and some of the best guys in the business. The Cascade barrels are made in the same factory in Spain and most of you would be surprised to know of some of the other "American" companies that use barrels made by Bergara. If you own an AR, there's a REALLY good chance you barrel came out of the Bergara factory in Spain.
Knowing the guys who run CVA and manage the brand
Have them make some 1-8 & 1-7 twist rifles.:)

I did look at one and they do look good.

TNRifleman

A 1:8 would be sweet. And a compact stock and 18" barrel threaded. Let bergara know! Thanks lol
So this with a 1:8???

Jcalder

Latest posts