Remington vs Tikka

mike243

Remington is shutting down next year so reckon you might want to get 1 as a going away present, may go up in value at some point

knightrider

Remington is shutting down next year so reckon you might want to get 1 as a going away present, may go up in value at some point
They are shutting down in dem headquarters new york, i would imagine it will be moved toGeorgia and Tennessee factories

Last edited:

DaveTN

If only the American made product was the better product
They are. I haven't seen any of the new Remington's, but everyone seems to be happy with them. The Remington 700 owned the bolt action market. It appears it will again. You also have Savage, Ruger and others. Not to mention a lot of high-end custom builders. We don't need to send our money overseas.

Jcalder

They are. I haven't seen any of the new Remington's, but everyone seems to be happy with them. The Remington 700 owned the bolt action market. It appears it will again. You also have Savage, Ruger and others. Not to mention a lot of high-end custom builders. We don't need to send our money overseas.
The tikka will be a much better gun than a Remington.

mike243

Well glad they are staying open, i thought they were shutting down the whole shebang. The quick clip I read didn't stare that, i would take a rem over tikka

DaveTN

Well glad they are staying open, i thought they were shutting down the whole shebang. The quick clip I read didn't stare that, i would take a rem over tikka
It appears they are moving the main manufacturing to LaGrange, GA. I don't know how old the view is in Google Maps, but it looks pretty small. Hopefully they are still expanding.

Jcalder

Maybe we can find an impartial expert rifle shooter to shoot my Remington and your Tikka?
Multiple samples of each rifle. 20 shot groups. Every round counts. Hand loads or factory? While we're at it, we can do drop tests on your leupolds and my trijicons. If I can find the thread, some tests have been done already. I have one tikka, I've personally shot 30 rounds thru it. Not a 700, but I have 2 bergaras that I could bring just to add to the mix.

DaveTN

Multiple samples of each rifle. 20 shot groups. Every round counts. Hand loads or factory? While we're at it, we can do drop tests on your leupolds and my trijicons. If I can find the thread, some tests have been done already. I have one tikka, I've personally shot 30 rounds thru it. Not a 700, but I have 2 bergaras that I could bring just to add to the mix.
Who will our impartial expert be?

If you want to do dop tests with your trijicons, I'll watch and be impressed. I'm not intentionally dropping my Leupold or any other scope. 🤣
I have a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade I can add to the mix also.

Jcalder

Who will our impartial expert be?

If you want to do dop tests with your trijicons, I'll watch and be impressed. I'm not intentionally dropping my Leupold or any other scope. 🤣
I have a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade I can add to the mix also.
I was hoping to see a leupold fail with my own eyes🤣. Oh well. MUP can shoot. I'm sure there are others that can as well. How many total rounds do you want. 2 20 round groups shot between 2 different shooters? 4 20 shot groups? Decisions…..

trex

I'd take the Model 700 ADL Varmint, R85417 at $598.99 over the standard Model 700 ADL, R84600 at $520.99, just because of the heavy barrel.

I hear that Tikka makes good stuff, but I don't buy foreign. I don't know anything about the 783 other than seeing articles saying it almost compares to the 700. So, I wouldn't personally consider either of those.

I haven't bought anything used in awhile for that very reason.
What is wrong with the standard Model 700 ADL?

DaveTN

What is wrong with the standard Model 700 ADL?
Nothing. Other than I prefer a heavy barrel. Weight vs. accuracy. A heavy barrel is slower to heat up on sustained shooting. The barrel harmonics of a heavy barrel are better. However, a heavy barrel is just that, heavier to carry around. If you are shooting deer, it would make little difference, if any. Long range multiple small varmints, and bench rest shooting is where you might see a difference. My 700 VLS is heavy.

I'll even say this even though I can't prove it. I suspect the cheap 700's are the very same receiver/barrel combination as the higher cost guns. Stocks, finish, jeweled bolts, etc. is what raises the prices. A heavy barrel is a heavy barrel whether is on a $600 ADL or a $800 Varmint. I didn't believe that enough to not pay the extra money, but from what I have witnessed, I suspect it. 🙃

We get together on my family's property in another state every once in awhile and shoot. We shoot rifles from the lowest cost to the highest. 100% of the time, of what I have witnessed, when one shooter is outshooting another, it is the shooters skills, not the gun that that makes the difference. Assuming quality guns of course.

Latest posts