6.5 prc vs 308

280longshot

There's always the 139 Scenar

Exactly, experience speaks volumes...
My experience started last year with scenars. They're accurate and expand/ kill very well. I use them in my 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC.

jlanecr500

This may be helpful. Jared knows his stuff and has no ties to any manufacturers.

I shoot the 297gr Pittman Hammer in my 40 sml long range gun. I've only killed a couple deer with it. The video is spot on. My experience is 250 yds 3000 fps shoulder shot. Penetrated both shoulders and blew the sternum out the front. I think the front end changed direction and came out the sternum. Deer plowed for 20 yards.

I have adopted a motto. Bigger is better and kill dead right there. The smallest caliber I've hunted with in the last 20 years is a 30-06. Until I gave in and barreled up a 6.5 prc.

FF to today 1-7-24, 6.5 prc, 124 HH, 3000 fps mv, deer at 160 yds quartering away behind shoulder. Deer not recovered. Tracked nearly 300 yds to another property. I decided to reserve judgement until I saw this thread. Looks like I'll be loading something different for next year. I'll make someone a good deal on some 124 HH's

muddyboots

I shoot the 297gr Pittman Hammer in my 40 sml long range gun. I've only killed a couple deer with it. The video is spot on. My experience is 250 yds 3000 fps shoulder shot. Penetrated both shoulders and blew the sternum out the front. I think the front end changed direction and came out the sternum. Deer plowed for 20 yards.

I have adopted a motto. Bigger is better and kill dead right there. The smallest caliber I've hunted with in the last 20 years is a 30-06. Until I gave in and barreled up a 6.5 prc.

FF to today 1-7-24, 6.5 prc, 124 HH, 3000 fps mv, deer at 160 yds quartering away behind shoulder. Deer not recovered. Tracked nearly 300 yds to another property. I decided to reserve judgement until I saw this thread. Looks like I'll be loading something different for next year. I'll make someone a good deal on some 124 HH's
I've got 2 mature bucks. 200 lb deer. Shot dead center of shoulder at 110 yards and 90 yards on the other. Saw blood on shoulder at impact. Both long painful track jobs. 1 recovered 1 was not. I'm going back to 7/08. They just die with it.

Dennis

We tend to think flinching is only from recoil. But one of the big factors that leads to flinching is the noise. Use ear plugs with ear muffs over top. This will help make the kid (and adults too) less likely to flinch.

Latest posts