rebore 270 into a 35 whelen

JArender

I've been searching for a 35 whelen to use in iowa every couple years. In doing so i've ran across JES rebore options. I have a old ruger 270 that mean nothing to me. I have a old rem 700 30-06 too, either could be done and neither are great shooters. I bought the ruger to replace one that was stolen 25 years ago and never found. the rem was a gift so i'm leaning toward the ruger if I go that route. I can have it rebore for 300ish not to mention having it back in couple weeks vs months for rebarrel at least at the smith I had been using. He may be more back logged now since his sondecided to quit gun building.

Has anyone here ever had a rifle rebore vs rebarrel? if so how it work out for you.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I rebarelled my 270 rem sportsman 78 to 35 whelen several years ago. I sent mine to ER Shaw and was very satisfied. I've shot a lot of deer with it.

44 mag

I love a 35 Whelen. I have been looking for a cheapie rem 700 to have done. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

ImThere

Jes bored a Henry single shot in 308 to 338 Federal for me.

They did great work and to me it was a very reasonable.
Just out of curiosity how much does something like this cost? For those of us who never have done anything like this before?

Wade195

It's been a bit, but they called back within a couple of days and went over the process.

If I remember correctly, it was within 2 or 3 weeks and I had my barrel back.

I will be curious how thing work out for you.

let us know how it works out please.

JArender

It's been a bit, but they called back within a couple of days and went over the process.

If I remember correctly, it was within 2 or 3 weeks and I had my barrel back.

I will be curious how thing work out for you.

let us know how it works out please.

I called on a Monday right after posting this. I was about to call back 8-9 days later but decided to just wait till after the new year and try due to a trip coming up. Well Jesse Called the following Saturday and gave me instructions. I sent the gun on dec 11th and asked that he not ship it back until after Christmas if it was even ready. He said oh it will be haha. He said drop a check for 275 in the box with the barreled action and a note to remind him to hold it a few days before shipping it back. I did and I really didn't expect it to get back so quick but Yesterday the mail man handed me the same box I had shipped it in

Last night I threw a scope I had on another rifle, bore sighted it. Headed to farm today. Fired two rounds on paper and adjusted scope. She's a shooter! fired 2 more rounds and it's ready to hunt! Gotta get new rings and put the scope i'm gonna hunt with on but I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Only a couple tool marks which I expected worse, besides that, it's same gun I sent only now in a new caliber.

Now to find a lefty 270/30-06 to send out for my son.

Attachments

• IMG_3057.jpeg
    IMG_3057.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3059.jpeg
    IMG_3059.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts