Marlin 336 Stock Refinishing

Carlos

I don't but a buddy of mine swapped a couple of his over to black synthetic.
They look great, surprisingly with the updated furniture, just an idea for ya.

SSlater

I had mine redone when I had it re blued. I'm not fond of it. It's very glossy. I'm going to redo it myself with boiled linseed oil or something with a matte finish.

I hate synthetic stocks personally. I'm old school I guess. I prefer the look of the guns I admired as a kid .

TboneD

I had mine redone when I had it re blued. I'm not fond of it. It's very glossy. I'm going to redo it myself with boiled linseed oil or something with a matte finish.

I hate synthetic stocks personally. I'm old school I guess. I prefer the look of the guns I admired as a kid .
Yeah, I don't get the appeal of synthetic stocks on Marlins. Good friend of mine has a 336 30-30 and did it long time ago. He said it increased the felt recoil considerably and unfortunately lost the old walnut stock and forearm in their last house. He called the new owner soon after moving but the guy didn't give a care. Probably had already done something with it I suppose.

rifle02

You can knock the gloss off with 0000 steel wool or a WELL WORN GRAY Scotchbrite pad. Just go light on the pressure.

rifle02

After refinishing many many gun stocks I can give you some advice. Remove as much of the old finish as you can with strippers and avoid sanding as much as possible. If you are sanding the wood after removing from the firearm, make sure you do not round the edges or you will end up with an ugly wood to metal fit with the metal being higher. I prefer aerosol stock sprays my favorite is Chem-pac gun saver. You can get it from brownells, seems a little pricey but it's the best I've used. Second best is Minwax Helmsman from Lowe's. It comes in satin, semi-gloss or gloss take your pick.

smyrnagc

Thanks for all the input guys. I am slammed at work and honestly the first time I tried to do this on an old rifle I sucked at it. Guess I don't have the patience...LOL.

I found a guy in Dickson that is going to do them for me at a reasonable cost.

TboneD

Thanks for all the input guys. I am slammed at work and honestly the first time I tried to do this on an old rifle I sucked at it. Guess I don't have the patience...LOL.

Good deal. Take some before pics if you will and I hope he does a good job for you. I need to do the same since my nephew scratched the stock toting both it and a bag chair on the same shoulder on a juvi hunt several years ago.

44 mag

If he does a good job post his information if you don't mind. I live in Dickson and have one I would like done as well

SSlater

Yeah, I don't get the appeal of synthetic stocks on Marlins. Good friend of mine has a 336 30-30 and did it long time ago. He said it increased the felt recoil considerably and unfortunately lost the old walnut stock and forearm in their last house. He called the new owner soon after moving but the guy didn't give a care. Probably had already done something with it I suppose.
He could probably find a used set on eBay, GunBroker, or the Marlin forum.

Latest posts