Vols add 5 star WR

Displaced_Vol

There's parts of this I'm not wild about and parts I don't fully understand but how in the hell did anybody think this was not going to be the outcome? Now a bunch of them are gonna jump up and down and say that's not fair?
I guess I'd be more pissed if we had a 1.5 million dollar deal for a QB to not play a down and go back home to Texas.
Wtf know that may be what happens with Nico, this is the wild west. But do I want my team utilizing the current situation to its potential or running around looking for the assistant principal? I'll take the former.

Mescalero

And it begins. Boosters (i.e., the "collectives") can't talk with recruits and can't offer them NIL or inducements deals to get them to attend a particular school. That's been a violation for decades, but basically now reiterated as one. And the NCAA is going to start investigating the violations that have occurred. Yes, I guess it all will come to light. Maybe, it's the NCAA (but Emmert is retiring).

PalsPal

And it begins. Boosters (i.e., the "collectives") can't talk with recruits and can't offer them NIL or inducements deals to get them to attend a particular school. That's been a violation for decades, but basically now reiterated as one. And the NCAA is going to start investigating the violations that have occurred. Yes, I guess it all will come to light. Maybe, it's the NCAA (but Emmert is retiring).

Saban works his magic again :D !

THEdonkey0515

There's parts of this I'm not wild about and parts I don't fully understand but how in the hell did anybody think this was not going to be the outcome? Now a bunch of them are gonna jump up and down and say that's not fair?
I guess I'd be more pissed if we had a 1.5 million dollar deal for a QB to not play a down and go back home to Texas.
Wtf know that may be what happens with Nico, this is the wild west. But do I want my team utilizing the current situation to its potential or running around looking for the assistant principal? I'll take the former.
Agree.

If this is the way things are gonna be done now I would rather my team do everything within the guidelines to take advantage/utilize the situation.

I would not want my program setting back complaining about the situation and not using it.

If someone honestly thinks they are a rule they can put in place to stop this craziness they are sadly mistaken. Probaby the same people that believe Derrick Henry didn't get a new high-end Dodge charger gave to him while playing for bama.

Last edited:

cbhunter

It's true. No inducements to players who aren't enrolled. Alabama, Clemson aren't either. You are fooling yourself.

Hmmm, Saban being accused of tampering . Imagine that lol

scn

You might want to read a little closer. A collective is not a booster. It may be funded by boosters, but it isn't what the NCAA is going after. I will be surprised if the collective at TN hasn't crossed all of their Ts and dotted all of their Is for the rules that were in place.

The schools crying the most about the NIL are the ones that were the most corrupt with the under the table stuff. They don't want to see their advantage going away. It might make those red Chargers a little less valuable in the recruiting process.

Mescalero

You might want to read a little closer. A collective is not a booster. It may be funded by boosters, but it isn't what the NCAA is going after. I will be surprised if the collective at TN hasn't crossed all of their Ts and dotted all of their Is for the rules that were in place.

The schools crying the most about the NIL are the ones that were the most corrupt with the under the table stuff. They don't want to see their advantage going away. It might make those red Chargers a little less valuable in the recruiting process.

"The Division I Board of Directors on Monday issued guidance to schools regarding the intersection between recruiting activities and the name, image and likeness environment. .........

Specifically, the guidance defines as a booster any third-party entity that promotes an athletics program, assists with recruiting or assists with providing benefits to recruits, enrolled student-athletes or their family members. The definition could include "collectives" set up to funnel name, image and likeness deals to prospective student-athletes or enrolled student-athletes who might be considering transferring. NCAA recruiting rules preclude boosters from recruiting and/or providing benefits to prospective student-athletes. .........

The board noted that the emphasis of this NIL guidance is on boosters in the recruiting process and is not intended to question the eligibility of prospective and enrolled student-athletes involved in NIL deals. Only the most serious actions that clearly violate the previously published interim policy would have eligibility implications. ......."

I know what I'm reading. Not sure what you are. The "collectives" are booster organizations ostensibly set up to bring enrolled student-athletes NIL deals, but in some locations, cough Knoxville cough, apparently have morphed into pay-to-play HS or portal recruits and nothing more. TBD. You are correct, however, that has always been a violation of NCAA rules and this guidance means (a) those rules will now be enforced, and (b) including against the most egregious violators. " While the NCAA may pursue the most outrageous violations that were clearly contrary to the interim policy adopted last summer, our focus is on the future. The new guidance establishes a common set of expectations for the Division I institutions moving forward, and the board expects all Division I institutions to follow our recruiting rules and operate within these reasonable expectations," said board chair Jere Morehead, president, University of Georgia."

Mescalero

Hmmm, Saban being accused of tampering . Imagine that lol
The link required me to download an app to read the entire article. I have no interest in that app.

scn

I guess we will just have to see how it all evolves. Spyre and TN don't seem to be too worried at this point.

Interesting to see some of the big dog schools squirming because their under the table dealings aren't the advantage they once were. Probably includes OSU as well as some of the other former playoff schools.

Mescalero

I guess we will just have to see how it all evolves. Spyre and TN don't seem to be too worried at this point.

Interesting to see some of the big dog schools squirming because their under the table dealings aren't the advantage they once were. Probably includes OSU as well as some of the other former playoff schools.
Oh I agree. I have to imagine that all of the schools have crossed fingers and hoping the "collectives" did what they promised and didn't do what they didn't say they wouldn't do.

I agree with everyone that college football in 5-10 years won't be what we love it to be today and yesterday. I think it's going to splinter into the "super league" of 32 teams, give or take. Most of the SEC, except Vandy. The ACC south of Virginia or maybe including the Virginia schools, but not UVA or GA Tech. A few remnants of the Big 12. USC, definitely. Notre Dame and Big Ten will be interesting to see what the individual schools do. I think this is Greg Sankey's plan and Gene Smith, Ohio State's AD, was intimating about this just last week. Football is in the super league and the Olympic sports (basketball is an Olympic sport) and the Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, and PAC 12 schools' football teams that aren't invited or that don't go with the super league remain under the NCAA umbrella. Title IX means the super league football teams are only licensees of the universities - name, nickname, colors, mascots, stadiums, facilities, etc. are paid for via a licensing fee to the universities. Players become employees under a CBA just like the NFL. Sad all the way around. Players will make a little money, but will they get an education? I think only something like 3% (probably less) of FBS players make an NFL team and the average NFL career is like 3 years. It's the second contract that makes NFL players the big bucks unless they are first round picks and those mostly have to be top 15 picks. Only a select few. The second contract doesn't kick in, if at all, until after year 4 or 5. Will those who don't make it be given a free ride to come back to school after they wash out of the NFL?

This is what I see happening.

THEdonkey0515

The schools crying the most about the NIL are the ones that were the most corrupt with the under the table stuff. They don't want to see their advantage going away. It might make those red Chargers a little less valuable in the recruiting prprocess.
Agree

Last edited:

THEdonkey0515

Where do you think Pruitt learned about McDonalds bags?

All of the big Power 5 schools are dirty, including your Buckeyes.
True ^^^^^

A quick search showed OU self reported 16 violations that occurred from 2017 to 2019 including name/image/likeness and financial aid and that's probably just half of it.... they left out the real juicy stuff... they are just as crooked as any other power 5 program at this very moment

Last edited:

Mescalero

True ^^^^^

A quick search showed OU self reported 16 violations that occurred from 2017 to 2019 including name/image/likeness and financial aid and that's probably just half of it.... they left out the real juicy stuff... they are just as crooked as any other power 5 program at this very moment
OU? Oklahoma? Ohio U? Oregon? How could there be NIL violations 2017-2019 if NIL didn't exist until 2021? You guys are too easy.

Latest posts