Short, yet interseting CWD conversation

AT Hiker

yesterday with a Wyoming Game & Fish employee. I was inquiring about a specific deer unit that had overlapping Mule deer and whitetail seasons.

The gist of the conversation was that WY G&F wants whitetails gone in this specific area, which is a non-traditional whitetail area. He said they look at whitetails as carriers of CWD and want them gone to protect the native Mule deer. The problem they run in to is that many of the whitetails live on private land, these landowners have now learned to capitalize on big whitetail so they are managing them for such.

Thought I'd share, especially since CWD first spread via Mule Deer:p

backyardtndeer

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense about cwd.🙃🙄

Years ago I read that in some cases where both exist whitetail bucks will breed mule deer does, and the offspring retain whitetail characteristics which is negatively impacting the mule deer population.

BSK

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense about cwd.🙃🙄

Years ago I read that in some cases where both exist whitetail bucks will breed mule deer does, and the offspring retain whitetail characteristics which is negatively impacting the mule deer population.
Except those mixed-breeds are incapable of producing offspring.

AT Hiker

Some science on the topic, too.

BSK

Some science on the topic, too.

Very interesting AT Hiker. That's the first evidence I've seen for potential breeding of whitetail-mule deer hybrids. Never count nature out!

Generally speaking (and in all penned studies), whitetail/mule deer hybrids are like mules (a horse/donkey hybrid). They are incapable of reproduction.

Biggun4214

Except those mixed-breeds are incapable of producing offspring.
In the 70's blacktail deer were released on Volunteer Ammunition Plant and their crossing with whitetail helped kill the program. But black tail characteristics showed up for years afterwards.

tellico4x4

Years ago I read that in some cases where both exist whitetail bucks will breed mule deer does
Hunted a ranch on Powder River in 2008 that had a lot of whitetails along river. Owner told me that a muly buck would not hardly step foot in there as the whitetail bucks were so aggressive towards them. Plenty of muly does were in there though.

The ranch I hunted this past fall in NE Sandhills had both species along the creek bottoms & hitting the alfalfa pivots. Saw one "cross" that looked more like a whitetail, but antlers had mule deer characteristics. Would have loved to shot a big cross but that was just a 3 yr old.

Latest posts