TWRAs stance on why kill #'s are down

Poleaxe

What's the point of this thread? It seems like a way to get the word out about the decline in numbers in hopes of the harvest allowed being cut. Just let it be and quit trying to predict what God allows us and be thankful what's given. There may be some job openings in the palm reading fields.

mattmillard510

Poleaxe":t2qap06u said:
What's the point of this thread? It seems like a way to get the word out about the decline in numbers in hopes of the harvest allowed being cut. Just let it be and quit trying to predict what God allows us and be thankful what's given. There may be some job openings in the palm reading fields.

I feel like this way of thinking is kind of greedy...

Shouldn't we be worried about the overall numbers and health of the heard rather than being worried we potentially won't be able to kill as many deer as we have in the past. It's well documented on what over hunting does to a species. It's no secret that numbers are declining and something needs to be adjusted in order to fix it. The number of does we can kill in this wonderful state needs to be revisited in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benellivol

TheLBLman":6004o2e7 said:
benellivol":6004o2e7 said:
I have killed a doe, quartered it up, put it in the freezer then go, oh crap I have to check it in.
But being the honest person you are, that deer STILL got checked in. :)

Yep.

There's no reason to not check a doe in if you're hunting Unit L unless you're lazy.

Setterman

It probably doesn't matter much but I know myself and the dozen or so I know that deer hunt have completely quit hunting TN. Between us we probably averaged roughly 50 deer a year that we harvested here and now that number is zero. If there's any number of people like us who just feel our time in the woods is better spent in other states it could easily reflect in harvests dropping. We all still buy sportsman licenses so it isn't reflected in license sales data

mattmillard510

Setterman":1b6lzbeu said:
It probably doesn't matter much but I know myself and the dozen or so I know that deer hunt have completely quit hunting TN. Between us we probably averaged roughly 50 deer a year that we harvested here and now that number is zero. If there's any number of people like us who just feel our time in the woods is better spent in other states it could easily reflect in harvests dropping. We all still buy sportsman licenses so it isn't reflected in license sales data

This is something I've pointed out before to people

People can hunt Ohio out of state for around the cost of our in state sportsman license. What's wrong with that picture

Setterman

mattmillard510":20rqcp72 said:
Setterman":20rqcp72 said:

This is something I've pointed out before to people

People can hunt Ohio out of state for around the cost of our in state sportsman license. What's wrong with that picture

It's not a cost thing to me or the others I interact with, we still buy our licenses each year because it covers our turkey and other hunting licenses in one package.

The reason we are not killing any deer here is because the hunting is dramatically better every where else we hunt compared to TN. For us, it's a better use of our days to spend them where having the chance at mature bucks is a realistic possibility unlike it is here. I can sit for a week straight in a stand here in east TN and would be lucky to see a buck that was 2.5 years of age. Or I can drive just over the border and see numerous bucks 3.5 years old or older in the same amount of time. For me it's a no brainier, and I'd gladly save the gas money and hunt here, but frankly the deer hunting in this area is bad, plenty of animals but the quality of animals sucks.

TheLBLman

IMO, the main reason kill numbers might end up a bit lower this year is because of less hunting, less hunting that has little do with TN resident hunters hunting other states (which seem to generally have less deer hunting going in them as well).

Some of the "less" hunting this year is weather related, acorn crop related.

When hunters go earlier in the season, the weather is warm, the deer movement low, they are less motivated to go more, end up hunting less. Lot more to it than that, but that is a larger factor this year than most.

There currently remains a LOT of deer-hunting opportunity between now and January 3rd.
We'll know how it ends up after the season ends.

PillsburyDoughboy

TheLBLman":7dm9bufb said:
IMO, the main reason kill numbers might end up a bit lower this year is because of less hunting, less hunting that has little do with TN resident hunters hunting other states (which seem to generally have less deer hunting going in them as well).

Some of the "less" hunting this year is weather related, acorn crop related.

When hunters go earlier in the season, the weather is warm, the deer movement low, they are less motivated to go more, end up hunting less. Lot more to it than that, but that is a larger factor this year than most.

There currently remains a LOT of deer-hunting opportunity between now and January 3rd.
We'll know how it ends up after the season ends.

I agree . Let's look and debate the facts once all the numbers are in

Poleaxe

mattmillard510":1gkebyv4 said:
Poleaxe":1gkebyv4 said:

I feel like this way of thinking is kind of greedy...

Shouldn't we be worried about the overall numbers and health of the heard rather than being worried we potentially won't be able to kill as many deer as we have in the past. It's well documented on what over hunting does to a species. It's no secret that numbers are declining and something needs to be adjusted in order to fix it. The number of does we can kill in this wonderful state needs to be revisited in my opinion

With multiple years without good acorn mas is gonna significantly play a role in harvest numbers. Me I have no trouble in seeing deer, harvesting deer, or putting most guest on deer. Maybe you should acquire different land that will change your perspective or have someone help you with your hunting skills. Just because some don't have the skills to harvest what satisfy them doesn't mean a change needs to be made on the harvest allowance for everyone.

Latest posts