Why we miss?

Omega

Someone very recently said to me...the center of a watermelon is the same size as the center of an aspirin. Took me a second, but he was correct.
This is one of the targets I would use to explain that to my soldiers that were having issues zeroing their weapons. The circles are all the same size, shoot at those. Most times that was enough to settle them down, but a few needed further BRM lessons.
1699393658584.png

JCDEERMAN

Know your equipment, make sure it's working properly. If it's not your equipment's fault, it's you. Most people rush the shot, as they are in awe. They want to get a shot off because "he can't get away".

The reality is, the more big ones you can put on the ground and experience those moments, the easier it gets. It just has to happen for you.

I have a process. From the moment I even hear a deer coming, the gun is getting in hand and I'm taking note of wind direction (that may indicate when I may shoot). I hunt a lot of "just off winds", meaning it's almost perfect for them, and almost wrong for me…though I can still pull it off if he comes from the likely direction I have in mind. I keep my scope on 6x power and have one hand to adjust, if needed, but it always crosses my mind in my process. A lot of my shots are very close quarters, so I may turn it down to 3x power. As they approach, I'm picking shooting lanes. My gun is on him and I'm watching body language. That will tell you all you need to know and sometimes when to shoot.

fairchaser

We have a saying in competition match shooting. Don't be a hero! If you aren't sure about your wind call, don't shoot and hope. Wait until you are sure.

I feel many hunters wait so long for that shot at a good buck, sometimes many years, when he does appear, the fear of loss makes the brain go numb and reflexes go haywire and they slap the trigger, more commonly known as the buck eggers. I think it helps to play out the scenario in your mind many times beforehand. When it does happen, you can talk yourself down enough to execute the shot. You generally have more time than you think. Tell yourself if he gets away, it's ok. It's way better to allow him to pass until a better opportunity than to wound the deer or even miss. Remove the fear of loss from the equation and you'll be able to perform better under pressure.

jlanecr500

12 years ago I was just getting into sml's. One evening nearly dusk, I shot a buck at approx 40 yards from my climber. Got down and man, that deer was tore up on the entrance. Just weird but I gutted and drug it out. Next morning I climbed the same tree in the dark. As it began to get light I noticed something about 20 yards in front of me that looked ragged. Turns our it was the trunk of a 2" sapling that I shot the top out of the night before.

My grandfather fought in ww2 and gave me pointers on shooting as a kid. The most important one was to block out distractions and fears by concentrating on something that you have full control over. His was holding your mouth partially open. By doing that, you will flinch less and the shot will be more of a surprise.

Remi

The worst shots I see are usually over scoped and over gunned. Woods hunters with a 6-18x50 on some sort of magnum they dread shooting. They think horsepower will make up for poor shots.

A common theme around here

"yeah, my boy has kilt ever deers he's pointed that .243 at, dropped most in their tracks. Now that he's 13 I've bought him a man's gun, this ultralight 300 win mag for the extree knockdown power"

And all of a sudden the kid starts losing and missing deer

I work with a guy that gets mad because I hunt with "a woman's gun" because real men shoot magnums. Lol

Jcalder

The worst shots I see are usually over scoped and over gunned. Woods hunters with a 6-18x50 on some sort of magnum they dread shooting. They think horsepower will make up for poor shots.

A common theme around here

"yeah, my boy has kilt ever deers he's pointed that .243 at, dropped most in their tracks. Now that he's 13 I've bought him a man's gun, this ultralight 300 win mag for the extree knockdown power"

And all of a sudden the kid starts losing and missing deer

I work with a guy that gets mad because I hunt with "a woman's gun" because real men shoot magnums. Lol
Over gunning is a huge problem. Years ago we were taught on whatever was in the closet. I had a poor experience when I was 7-8 year old and was severely recoil shy. Luckily, an uncle let me borrow a 357 lever gun. Killed my first few deer with it. Wasn't long and I had a 30-06 in my hands lol. I managed thru it, killed several deer and missed several more. But my kids, we've started much smaller and slowly worked our way up. My oldest shoots a 25-06 and loves it. No need to go any bigger. My youngest, will learn on a 223. If you let them develop a flinch, it's really hard to break them.

Latest posts